Thread: Help needed on photography in bright sun

Default Help needed on photography in bright sun

Today was speech day...Had the Uniformed Groups parade under the hot sun,it was really tiring and it was my first time using a DSLR to shoot a event under the scorching sun.I was using the D60 with a 18-55mm kit lens.

I took pics closeup of the Uniformed Groups leaders,or whoever ranking they hold and i noticed,the background seems to be clear and the foreground seems to be blurred,this happens even when the background is not facing the sun.I was using auto focus

I am really pissed off by this.I think today was a utter failure for some of the pictures and i really need some help.So anybody know what settings or tips i can take to avoid a recurrence of this?As i am still quite a beginner,it is best to keep comments/help as simple to understand as possible.Thanks !

And if my fellow photographers from my sch are reading this,hi.

See the foreground blur?
    Oh yes this is the raw image , so you guys can use the exif firefox extension to view the shooting info and give me better tips based on that info also
    Last edited by shadowpartner; 17th April 2009 at 09:03 PM.

Default Re: Help needed on photography in bright sun

It's got nothing to do with the sun.

What mode were you shooting at?

What I learn from experience photographer. Your aperture have have to f11 to f15 to capture all background and foreground clear. You have to focus on the foreground more.

Please correct me if I', wrong. I'm still learning

Cheers

Your focusing is off..

In such cases, use the closest subject focusing mode.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

check on your exif, there is noting to tell what focusing mode you are using anyway, you mention shooting under hot sun, seem your image is way way overexposed, and you menage to salvage it by shooting in RAW..

but from this photo, looks like you are using single point focusing, and in is AF-Continuous Servo, why don't use AF-Single Servo and lock your focusing by moving the focusing point to the area you want.

anyway, from the viewfinder you should able to see you have focus at the wrong area already.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Hmm....maybe i will try the closest subject thingy.
    But with the same settings,there are some pics(nearly same situation) that work out perfectly fine(focus is all in place and such).And that is what makes me confused.

And oh,ironically,the guy in the background is a professional photographer hired by the school

this might be caused by the fact that your camera focused on the background instead of the subject.
    it happens
    so...
    use manual selection focusing point to focus on your subject
    and you can achieve the bokeh reversed (bg blur, subject sharp)

however if you want everything to be clear f8 to f11 should be good without making the shutter speed too slow.
    always make sure your shutter speed should be more than the reciprocal of your focal length.
    EOS 7D | EOS 50D | EF50f/1.4 | Flickr | www.krjefferson.com

Am a newbie too...fr wat i see u gt a choice to take fr a upright position n at a diff angel...try A mode..step dwn yr exposure n let the white balance compensate it..At time u nd to overide autofocus...try to step bck a bit too..B4 hand try at F16 then play arnd to gt wat u comfy wth...dnt worry abt shutter..it wl auto adjust...If ur in a quickie situation,dwn yr exposure,go to P mode..chances to go wrong r slimmer...Hope tis wl help u...

D60 has 3 AF focusing areas, have you accidentally shifted it to the side, while still using the center one for focusing?

Quote Originally Posted by DaRkRaVeRz View Post
    Am a newbie too...fr wat i see u gt a choice to take fr a upright position n at a diff angel...try A mode..step dwn yr exposure n let the white balance compensate it..At time u nd to overide autofocus...try to step bck a bit too..B4 hand try at F16 then play arnd to gt wat u comfy wth...dnt worry abt shutter..it wl auto adjust...If ur in a quickie situation,dwn yr exposure,go to P mode..chances to go wrong r slimmer...Hope tis wl help u...
    It will help a lot if you could type proper English instead of SMS style.
    Secondly, White Balance compensating exposure? Care to explain how these to things come together?

Quote Originally Posted by shadowpartner View Post
    I am really pissed off by this.I think today was a utter failure for some of the pictures and i really need some help.So anybody know what settings or tips i can take to avoid a recurrence of this?As i am still quite a beginner,it is best to keep comments/help as simple to understand as possible.Thanks !
    As mentioned: your focusing is off. Your camera is focusing on the background. Nothing with bright sun, exposure or f/11 or so. Your camera Auto Focus has selected the background as focusing target. Why? Most likely there is some automatic setting that was active.
    Read your manual about how to use a single focus point (those markings in the viewfinder) and how to make sure that the focus stays there after half-pressing the shutter and moving the camera. Something called Single-AF.

Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    D60 has 3 AF focusing areas, have you accidentally shifted it to the side, while still using the center one for focusing?
    I totally agreed with this statement. TS, did you lock the focus ? You could have accidentally shifted the focus point to the left. It happened to me quite a number of times. Forgot to lock the focus and accidentally hitting the focus shift dial. If you noticed, the trees are clear, an indication that the focus point was there.

Yeap,it was a very fast situation and i had no time to tweak settings.

And erm..Whats reciprocal of focal length?The aperture thingy :X

And erm..Whats reciprocal of focal length?The aperture thingy :X
    No, shutter speed. The rule of thumb goes: exposure time (shutter speed) <= 1/focal length. For 50mm the shutter speed should be at least 1/50s or shorter (1/100 etc.) Some also recommend to include the crop factor, resulting in even faster shutter.

Ok i get it,but i was using shutter priority auto because i always use too fast shutter speeds and cause dark images

Hey...i'm from your sch too! In fact i'm in the UG. I'm interested in photography but also quite a starter...which one were you? I know you were dressed in the orange tee with camera crew printed behind behind or what right? Haha...the world's really a small place.

Ok i get it,but i was using shutter priority auto because i always use too fast shutter speeds and cause dark images
    From the exif of the pic you posted above, you were using aperture priority instead of shutter priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Calcjr23 View Post
    Hey...i'm from your sch too! In fact i'm in the UG. I'm interested in photography but also quite a starter...which one were you? I know you were dressed in the orange tee with camera crew printed behind behind or what right? Haha...the world's really a small place.
    yah the short pants one You from which UG group?

@ziploc
    From the exif of the pic you posted above, you were using aperture priority instead of shutter priority.

Maybe i accidentally pushed the dial without noticing it :X I am really a clumsy person because the condition changed very quickly from a sheltered place to a bright place and then to some chase to go up the stairs faster than the guest of honour :X

And looking back at the pictures taken during the rehearsal,it all had no problems.So maybe yesterday was a epic screw up :P
    Anyways i have changed my settings from AF-A to AF-S . Since i heard sometimes AF-A can get confused and the camera focuses at different points.
    Last edited by shadowpartner; 18th April 2009 at 09:25 AM.