Thread: What is the purpose of a Lens Hood?

Default What is the purpose of a Lens Hood?

Hi.

Just wondering what are the benefits of attaching a lens hood? There are so many varieties out there (different shapes and length)... do they serve any other purposes beside decorating/protecting our expensive lenses?

Must admit that some of them look pretty nice and will even make the ordinary kit lens looks more expensive! Like this one here:

Default Re: What is the purpose of a Lens Hood?

you're probably gotta get the 'read up on it, its widely discussed already' answer ... but anw, protection and preventing flare on sunny days are the 2 main purposes.

The purpose of a lens hood is to prevent stray light from entering your lens causing flare in your images. To me it doesn't serve decorative purpose other than for the reason above and to double up as to prevent the front element of your lens from some knocking.

To look pro of course. This one looks like the hood for L lens

It prevents stray light from entering your lens, thereby reducing flaring.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyteocx View Post
    you're probably gotta get the 'read up on it, its widely discussed already' answer ... but anw, protection and preventing flare on sunny days are the 2 main purposes.
    do u knw where sell the largest range of canon real hood... i looking for ew-65II for long time without avail le...
    life is but a dream...

I drop my camera once with lense hood & flash attached. The lense hood breaks, flash came off, but camera & lense is safe, flash need some glue but after that it works.

That must have stopped your heart from beating! Glad everything is in order now!

Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    I drop my camera once with lense hood & flash attached. The lense hood breaks, flash came off, but camera & lense is safe, flash need some glue but after that it works.

To me, a len hood certainly add on to the aesthetic value... however, unless it's bundled along with the lens or the lens is expensive enough to warrant a lens hood, I won't get 1.... For practical reasons, a lens hood is useful in preventing sun glare and accidental objects from bumping into the lens/filter.
    Playing with M43.