Thread: Photographers' block

Default Photographers' block

Photographers' block as in writers' block. I suppose working professionals do not experience this but lately I am running out of subjects to photograph. I suppose this applies mostly to hobbyist. Anyone experiencing this?

Default Re: Photographers' block

Quote Originally Posted by kenkht View Post
    Photographers' block as in writers' block. I suppose working professionals do not experience this but lately I am running out of subjects to photograph. I suppose this applies mostly to hobbyist. Anyone experiencing this?
    every dem day.
    おれのflickrださ

You can try reading photographic magazines from the national libraries. I'm sure you will feel refreshed with ideas.
    Dun blame the camera...blame the one behind the viewfinder :bsmilie:
    My Flickr..pls leave comments!

Take a break.. Look more and see more.
    Please Don't Report This Post To A Moderator

Sometimes, looking around in CS at the photos that others take gives me ideas to try out and places to go to for photography...

Think that's not photographer's block, that's just the limited env you're in.

Photographer's block, like writer's block, is when one runs out of ideas.

Eg you can't think of any new way to shoot a model, not that you run out of models to photograph.

actually working professionals face it more than anyone.
    but the difference is that they push themselves out of their comfort zone to overcome the block.

All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice. - Elliott Erwitt, Master Photographers – The World’s Great Photographers on their Art and Technique , Page: 91
    sigh.

I think working professional everyday have to brainstorm for clients or bosses. That is depending on your job requirements.

New ideas - your boss wants it
    Stoic ideas - your clients wants it
    Hobbyists - take it easy. Stop for a while. Its suppose to destress not stress you further

Quote Originally Posted by Clown View Post
    actually working professionals face it more than anyone.
    but the difference is that they push themselves out of their comfort zone to overcome the block.
    Make sense. Somehow after thinking about it, maybe it is just "laziness". Y'know how they all say to carry the camera with you at all times, I like the idea but I don't do it. (There are numerous times that I witness a very good photo op but didn't have my camera with me.. damn!)

The comments about looking up library books and pictures in the net are very sound advice which I did and found many many good examples.

I get it everyday!

I take out kamela, put it down in front of me, and all I see is a block.

How about trying a new format? For example, if you're using DSLRs, try something different like medium format (esp TLRs such as the Seagull or Rolliflex with the square format), or panoramic cameras (or simply aim to shoot and crop to 16:9. Or how about trying out rangefinder cameras? That can be quite refreshing (or frustrating)!

For me, I get new ideas everytime I view the seniors' photos on ClubSNAP. As a hobbyist, I find it hard to run out of subjects to shoot because lighting and weather conditions are different throughout the year. So the same place won't look the same all the time.

eek i feel the same way too, i'm doing project 365 and each day it's getting harder and harder to come up with a new photograph idea :l

I am the opposite, whenever I begin to feel the stresses of my professional life, the is nothing more relaxing than to take out my "executive toy" and take a few shots in the outback.
    Aussie Slang may sound offensive, it is the way we speak and not intended to offend.

Reflect on other people's good work and get some inspiration.

When I am tired of shooting landscape, i take a break and walk streets and shoot. Shoot something different. You might find that more liberating and inspiring

Ryan

Happens. Just go do something else in the meantime. Be it different subjects, or another hobby.

Well everyday is a new day.May be you should try going out to shoot in foreign country, eg. Venice, the great canyon, and many more, may be to the nearest neighbour country. There is really many subject for u to shoot, how about tropical fishes, gradient and beautiful. Do not stop.The gays who won the awards from the sony already had been shooting for more than 10 over years, I believed he had the same feeling as u. I would said go for the wild live shooting ,it must be very interesting. Hope that help.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfishers View Post
    Well everyday is a new day.May be you should try going out to shoot in foreign country, eg. Venice, the great canyon, and many more, may be to the nearest neighbour country.
    Yeah, how I wish I could go to a foreign country everyday to shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by kingfishers View Post
    The gays who won the awards from the sony already had been shooting for more than 10 over years, I believed he had the same feeling as u.
    How about us straight guys? OK I'm bad! just joking..

BTW, I have already thought of a new idea which should get me through to the next BLOCK!
    Gonna setup a mini (macro) studio (shoe box size) and gonna shoot macro such as bubbles from soda pop/ coke/ etc. just to start..

BTW, I have already thought of a new idea which should get me through to the next BLOCK!
    Gonna setup a mini (macro) studio (shoe box size) and gonna shoot macro such as bubbles from soda pop/ coke/ etc. just to start..
    Sounds like a new idea already. When u finally get a block shooting them , u can go back to wat u always like to shoot ( and hopefully unblocked by then )

Ryan