Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Monks allowed Credit Cards?

Default Re: Monks allowed Credit Cards?

Quote Originally Posted by kg_yew View Post
    I know a monk who was a successful businessman with business in the region before he was renounced. He still drive his humble toyota and stay in his old apartment like last time. If all those have been fully paid and he decides to stay this way, I think there's nothing wrong. As far as I know, even local temples may not have place for every monk or nuns who wants to stay in temple.

As for donations, if they're for the monks or nuns, then they'll have their choice of disbursement, and those for the temples will go into different sub funds, and the accounts will be audited yearly under the non-profit organisation law.

Some monks uses laptop to upload teaching materials onto the temple's web site for downloading, send out various emails on teachings and events for all students, and also work on old buddhist text for translation or commentary...Now, that i think is adapting to our new economy...

Peace everyone, and may everyone be well and happy....
    It is fine if it is used for teaching, but if it is spent for personal comfort, having luxurious items that even laypeople couldn't afford, that is going overboard. The purpose of renunciation has long been forgotten.

The excuse that "he is living in modern society" doesn't equate to "staying in luxurious hotels, buying 'montblanc' pen and LV leather goods".

Some people who can afford these things but choose to buy ordinary branded goods, they can control their desire better, I think.

When there are many options to choose from in life, greed normally has the upper hand; I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlim View Post
    Don't worry, I was just quoting to support some of my views. I fully agree with yours.
    eh, dun anyhow quote leh...
    have u seen the "light" yet?

http://news.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne...21-136629.html

Q: ...I want to ask you about the purchases made on your credit card. I've looked through your purchases and find that your expenditures are quite substantial. Can you explain why? What were the purchases used for?

A (Ming Yi): My expenditures are so because I go on tours, and I will purchase things from time to time.

Q: So these are all your personal expenses?

A: Some are personal, but I also buy thins for others. They will pay me back on those purchases.

Q: Who are these people?

A: Friends...

Q: I'm showing you some bills. They are both from UOB.

A: I don't want to see them. You can just put your questions forward to me directly.

Q: Then I'll tell you frankly that when I saw your expenditures, I was shocked by the amount of money you spend on luxury branded items. Before I ask you any questions, would you like to explain these expenditures first?

A: I believe that we live in a modern world.

Q: What do you mean?

A: The modern world. I think that the world is different now, isn't it? The world has changed, it is no longer like what it was in the past.

Q: In what way is it different?

A: I believe... just like others do... if people earn more, they will spend more, right? For example, I will spend money to buy things... but I don't see money as important, just like, if I can afford something I will buy it. If I can't afford it, I won't buy it.

Q: Lets go into the details. I'm referring to these (items listed on the credit card bill) are all items from luxury brands. We are talking about Mont Blanc and Louis Vuitton, hotels like St. Regis, The Regent and Four Seasons. When you go shopping, you buy branded items, and when you stay in a hotel, you once stayed at Banyan Tree.

A: Just as I mentioned. Many religious people, not just myself, are very different now.

Q: And "different" means that you can...

A: I'm not saying that we can. It depends on how you see things like this. I think that different people see things differently. To me, I think that for branded goods, and things like that, yes we can. You can also say that things like these last a long time. But when I buy these things, I won't use Ren Ci's money. I never used Ren Ci's money to purchase these things.

Q: You mentioned this before - it is most important that money is well spent, such as on people who need help?

A: I'm helping people. I'm still helping people.

Q: Do you believe that these expenditures are all well spent?

A: I'm still helping people. But at the same time, I still need to take care of myself as well.

WTF

that guy is a full blown con man out to con ppl out of their hard earned money to pay for his 'modern' living!
    おれのflickrださ

When the Prince left his family, going around to find the truth of overcoming and understanding Born, Age, Sick and Death, he tried many teaching methods and went under different teachers.

5 of his associates followed him, and before his final enlighten path under the Bodhi tree, he uses one of the method in enlightenment, via hard way of life pratice, "苦 行.

He tried under his teaching, with no food, no water, etc...... until he become very weak and sick.

One day he was awaken and asked himself, Can I go on like this? Is this the best method to achieve enlightenment?'

''No, I cannot be sick and weak. It does not help.'' he felt. With that, he accepted a bowl of milk given, and the 5 associates left him. They believed that the Prince had failed in the practice and was a failure.

However, with wisdom, the Prince now understood that he needs to keep himself fit to achieve.

He was enlightened. The 5 associates, now understood and returned to became the first disciples of the Buddha.

We are in the changing world. One need to do what is best in the suitations. Does having a car, a card, a phone, a computer etc., etc..even in aircon rooms, meant anything?

What is important, is that we respect the Monk or any religous person as a teacher, in addition,to accept him as he is. Like it or not, the right thing to do is to understand that he represents the faith and the teaching. He will have to accept hell if he is not doing the right things.

Until, he one is proven guilty, saying anything against any of the community in not good to oneself.

The Buddha said, " The gifts of truth excel all other gifts".

A living person says much about the religious figure, but once dead, we expected him to help the dead be buryed and led out of hell.

In today's soceity, everybody goes online and so techno inclined, news, informations and helpguides are all available via online, and yet some people may comment that those people should not be buying a computer. Without one, how are they going to achieve the first step i.e. learning to use? Borrow one? especially progression with the new era of technologies.

Credit cards today, of course, use properly is a convinent tools for money transactions. And what is wrong with that? Isnt it just like another form of cash, except for the cashless form?

Of course everyone has the right to comment and give their views. But watch out, the truth is, we must still respect those who have given their efforts for the better of living beings. Who would want to take up a role to bring out and upkeep a community charity e.g. hospital etc...

Who would one to be in this trouble? Maybe you can say, that is not his job. Go and do chanting. But are you sure a religious person's role is only chanting?

Without clearly and specifications, giving a donation of $1.00 to Ven Ming Yi, would have make him worry for days if not years. Because the donor did not mention if the dollar should go to Ren Ci Hospital, Foo Hai Chan or for his own keeping.

As a Monk, all Venerables, undertood the rules of cause and effects. Let the laws take it's cause and stop passing unnecessary remarks. It is not good for us as indiviuals - it is Karma to us too, should it be a wrong one.

May all living beings be well and happy. Happy Vesak.

Quote Originally Posted by shiruikage View Post
    that guy is a full blown con man out to con ppl out of their hard earned money to pay for his 'modern' living!
    Those are beautifully crafted white lies to cover his desires!

Quote Originally Posted by Staro View Post
    When the Prince left his family, going around to find the truth of overcoming and understanding Born, Age, Sick and Death, he tried many teaching methods and went under different teachers.

5 of his associates followed him, and before his final enlighten path under the Bodhi tree, he uses one of the method in enlightenment, via hard way of life pratice, "苦 行.

He tried under his teaching, with no food, no water, etc...... until he become very weak and sick.

One day he was awaken and asked himself, Can I go on like this? Is this the best method to achieve enlightenment?'

''No, I cannot be sick and weak. It does not help.'' he felt. With that, he accepted a bowl of milk given, and the 5 associates left him. They believed that the Prince had failed in the practice and was a failure.

However, with wisdom, the Prince now understood that he needs to keep himself fit to achieve.

He was enlightened. The 5 associates, now understood and returned to became the first disciples of the Buddha.

We are in the changing world. One need to do what is best in the suitations. Does having a car, a card, a phone, a computer etc., etc..even in aircon rooms, meant anything?

What is important, is that we respect the Monk or any religous person as a teacher, in addition,to accept him as he is. Like it or not, the right thing to do is to understand that he represents the faith and the teaching. He will have to accept hell if he is not doing the right things.

Until, he one is proven guilty, saying anything against any of the community in not good to oneself.

The Buddha said, " The gifts of truth excel all other gifts".

A living person says much about the religious figure, but once dead, we expected him to help the dead be buryed and led out of hell.

In today's soceity, everybody goes online and so techno inclined, news, informations and helpguides are all available via online, and yet some people may comment that those people should not be buying a computer. Without one, how are they going to achieve the first step i.e. learning to use? Borrow one? especially progression with the new era of technologies.

Credit cards today, of course, use properly is a convinent tools for money transactions. And what is wrong with that? Isnt it just like another form of cash, except for the cashless form?

Of course everyone has the right to comment and give their views. But watch out, the truth is, we must still respect those who have given their efforts for the better of living beings. Who would want to take up a role to bring out and upkeep a community charity e.g. hospital etc...

Who would one to be in this trouble? Maybe you can say, that is not his job. Go and do chanting. But are you sure a religious person's role is only chanting?

Without clearly and specifications, giving a donation of $1.00 to Ven Ming Yi, would have make him worry for days if not years. Because the donor did not mention if the dollar should go to Ren Ci Hospital, Foo Hai Chan or for his own keeping.

As a Monk, all Venerables, undertood the rules of cause and effects. Let the laws take it's cause and stop passing unnecessary remarks. It is not good for us as indiviuals - it is Karma to us too, should it be a wrong one.

May all living beings be well and happy. Happy Vesak.

Why does Prince decided to renouce the the material world when he know he will be the King of Kings???

After he left the palace why din he bring his luxuries with him???

What do Buddha meant by " The gifts of truth excel all other gifts".???

In Buddha's time there is no luxuries but still have thousands of disciple, and that does not affect his teachings does it???

Why do Monks become monks in the first place???

Would u respect someone who teaches ABC while doing XYZ???

Did Buddha or his disciples get into trouble with the law?

If one really teaches or understand Buddha's teaching and still get into trouble what does this says about this monk/Venerables?

Does law allow just becos of some good deeds / donation to cancel out the bad / crimes???

Whats good whats bad?

One might be able to get away with the law in this world but will not be able to get away from the Law of Karma!

Quote Originally Posted by Staro View Post

he needs to be fit to help others in need. but he didnt go back to his father and ask for luxury items, its just that he dont practice "苦 行. he still renounce the luxury item.

now, if ming yi is to teach the buddha's teaching, how ah?

"I believe that we live in a modern world. The modern world. I think that the world is different now, isn't it? The world has changed, it is no longer like what it was in the past. I believe... just like others do... if people earn more, they will spend more, right? For example, I will spend money to buy things... but I don't see money as important, just like, if I can afford something I will buy it. If I can't afford it, I won't buy it.
    I'm not saying that we can. It depends on how you see things like this. I think that different people see things differently. To me, I think that for branded goods, and things like that, yes we can. You can also say that things like these last a long time. But when I buy these things, I won't use Ren Ci's money. I never used Ren Ci's money to purchase these things."

i think we have ourselves a home grown buddha?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post

"I believe that we live in a modern world. The modern world. I think that the world is different now, isn't it? The world has changed, it is no longer like what it was in the past."

i do totally agree with this statement that he said but dun mean i agreed with what he has been doing.

In deed true that this is modern world, in fact it's a deadly reality.

These days, do you think someone want to be doc cos to save lives? Wear a robe and shave the head will be monk?

How many do really see the teaching of their religions?

hahaha we are, the home grown "buddha".....
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

for all that he has done i think he should not go around in the yellow robe anymore, to continue wearing is disrespectful of the religion.

this episode oso showed that when 1 gives too much, without any financial oversight, it feeds the greed in others.

maybe, just maybe, the monkey had followed his teaching, or could it be the other way round, that MY sees "enlightenment$" in monkey's way of running a charity org?

maybe, just maybe, the monkey had followed his teaching, or could it be the other way round, that MY sees "enlightenment$" in monkey's way of running a charity org?
    with a topic so closely linked to religion, bringing an animal into the topic will oni serve to fan the flames of religious intolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    with a topic so closely linked to religion, bringing an animal into the topic will oni serve to fan the flames of religious intolerance.
    er... the monkey is not referring to those u see in forest and zoo. since when u see monkey running charity org?

he needs to be fit to help others in need. but he didnt go back to his father and ask for luxury items, its just that he dont practice "苦 行. he still renounce the luxury item.

now, if ming yi is to teach the buddha's teaching, how ah?

"I believe that we live in a modern world. The modern world. I think that the world is different now, isn't it? The world has changed, it is no longer like what it was in the past. I believe... just like others do... if people earn more, they will spend more, right? For example, I will spend money to buy things... but I don't see money as important, just like, if I can afford something I will buy it. If I can't afford it, I won't buy it.
    I'm not saying that we can. It depends on how you see things like this. I think that different people see things differently. To me, I think that for branded goods, and things like that, yes we can. You can also say that things like these last a long time. But when I buy these things, I won't use Ren Ci's money. I never used Ren Ci's money to purchase these things."

from his statement alone, hard to say that he's teaching buddha's teachings. of coz nobody ask him to starve or anything, the same as nobody ask him to buy branded goods with his own money which is a big problem oredi; how come a monk still have personal money? one would think that being a monk is not about having a savings with the money ppl gave him, but rather pass on the money to others who need it more.

and i cant help but noticed from the dialog dreaming posted, this guy tends not to answer any question posed. its like asking him wat time is it, and he says the sun is always shining...i don think he's deep...but very evasive...
    おれのflickrださ

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456