Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Monks allowed Credit Cards?

Default Re: Monks allowed Credit Cards?

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Those who UNDERSTAND KARMA will only do what is suppose to be done and will not go against the LAW of KARMA!
    Those who go against Karma sad to say even if they preach Karma but they still fail to understand what Law of Karma is really about!
    how do i put it nicely..

life generally gives the concept of karma a big kick in the arse.

Quote Originally Posted by GDSNP View Post
    Monks also get paid mah. I think for an adult his age, having 10k in savings is nothing surprising even if he is a monk.
    Already said already, his pay is $16K+ a month right?

Quote Originally Posted by cowmera View Post
    Someone once asked me "are all monks vegetarians?" My reply was "yes" but i was told my answer is wrong! The correct answer is monks beg for alms. Whatever is being offered to them,they cannot reject and they have to thank you for the alms and then finish the food. At most after they finish the meat,they'll just vomit it all out. You know full well that they cannot consume meat yet you deliberately offer meat to them so it is not good karma for you.
    It depends on the traditions, not all monks eat vegetarian food. Chinese Buddhist monks are vegetarians, but not Thai monks or Tibetan monks.

The Thai monks will eat whatever is offered to them, they don't discriminate the food they eat. They are from the older tradition, whereas Chinese monks practise a newer tradition which emphasizes a lot on 'compassion', so they abstain from meat at all cost.

Quote Originally Posted by cowmera View Post
    My neighbour invited a Thai nun to Singapore a couple of years back. He paid for her coach ticket to Singapore and he offered her a bed. However she insisted on sleeping on the floor as a bed is deem as luxury. Whatever food they offered to her, she accepted and finished everything instead of choosing what she wants to eat. They even bought her a pair of sandals from Scholls since the one she was wearing is falling apart. She accepted the slippers but not the bed so is the former considered a luxury item which she must decline too? Do we expect her to walk to Singapore with a pot of vegetarian tom yam in her cloth bundle?

I am aware that religion is a sensitive topic so i hope that i did not ruffle any feathers with my views.
    In this case, the nun was doing the right thing according to tradition that is practised in Thailand. There are many monastic rules that they must observe in their daily lives. And, not sleeping on luxury beds may be one of them. Lay people like us may not know all the rules as it can only be transmitted to the monastics. And the monastics will handle it if there is a breach of conduct in their circles; Not the business of lay people anyway.

Yes, they can accept offering from lay people, in this case, a pair of sandal. But they won't bother whether it is branded or not; No discrimination. But one thing is certain, they won't touch money at all. U can buy them things, but don't hand them the cash!

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    how do i put it nicely..

life generally gives the concept of karma a big kick in the arse.
    Why do you say that? Karma is about what goes around comes around. It's as simple as Newton's 3rd law where you will be hated or even get beaten up if you insult somebody else' parents.

Quote Originally Posted by RyuHendrabusa View Post
    Why do you say that? Karma is about what goes around comes around. It's as simple as Newton's 3rd law where you will be hated or even get beaten up if you insult somebody else' parents.
    what goes around comes around
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Lots of easy money tempts the person and those around him. They may have started with noble aims. But having so much money suddenly after the charity show and with no one willing to keep him in check, this can happen.

The person feels that he has absolute authority and can get away with anything. Public adulation adds to the sense of ego. He gives himself a fancy title and gets a PHD that was from a dubious university.
    http://blog.simplyjean.com/2007/11/1...yis-doctorate/

His "personal assistants" also get carried away. Who would buy a $10,000 watch with some one else's supplementary credit card? i.e. some one else's money... or maybe charity's money.

Normal minded people don't do it.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 23rd April 2009 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RyuHendrabusa View Post
    ha. how many people who committed war atriocities got to die in luxury, in comfort?

how many people who did good got killed for nothing?

let us use a very basic example. a cat has done nothing to harm human beings, yet kids chase after it, that is still fine, they are kids, they can be forgiven. some people poison cats just because they do not like the animal. do they get punished?

what is karma, when it comes to reality? you get what you put in? not in a thousand years. maybe if you're lucky. but not everyone is that lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Lots of easy money tempts the person and those around him. They may have started with noble aims. But having so much money suddenly after the charity show and with no one willing to keep him in check, this can happen.

The person feels that he has absolute authority and can get away with anything. Public adulation adds to the sense of ego. He gives himself a fancy title and gets a PHD that was from a dubious university.

His "personal assistants" also get carried away. Who would buy a $10,000 watch with some one else's supplementary credit card? i.e. some one else's money... or maybe charity's money.

very well said & to the point.

agree with most parts except the last line... they were normal people till money lead them astray.
    have u seen the "light" yet?

can monks own digital SLR? I'm not saying they own, but I am just asking if they can own.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post

Agreed too, just I hope that he will take off his robes, as it may give the wrong impression to the monkhood......

I also hope people will not generalise this case thinking that all monks are bad. This whole case is just Karma for this particular guy (=his actions and its effects), and he has to face it. The good thing is that I hope he learned what Karma is hehehehe, he apparently didn't understand it, or he didn't care, or was just too gullible

HS

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    can monks own digital SLR? I'm not saying they own, but I am just asking if they can own.
    cannoooot! hahahah! if they do ar, then they will get the BBB virus, which is very very very bad for a monk, coz every month they will want want want want to buy lens and this and that! how to achieve nirvana like dat?
    おれのflickrださ

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post

They may accept offering from devotees, but one who really aims for Nirvana will immediately give it away without any delay whatsoever.

A camera has nothing to do with spiritual cultivation. Worse still, it will make you want to take more & more photos; Where got time for meditation.

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    very well said & to the point.

agree with most parts except the last line... they were normal people till money lead them astray.
    I have never believed a person has no greed when he buys branded goods and yet can give you all kinds of excuse, such as "it lasts longer, hence it is money well-spent", or "it is from my saving", ......" offering from devotees"......"from my salary"............

If that is the case, what is the meaning of renunciation?

Quote Originally Posted by johnlim View Post
    I have never believed a person has no greed when he buys branded goods and yet can give you all kinds of excuse, such as "it lasts longer, hence it is money well-spent", or "it is from my saving", ......" offering from devotees"......"from my salary"............

Those are beautiful white lies for them to "Officially" crave for their materials needs!

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    ha. how many people who committed war atriocities got to die in luxury, in comfort?

how many people who did good got killed for nothing?

let us use a very basic example. a cat has done nothing to harm human beings, yet kids chase after it, that is still fine, they are kids, they can be forgiven. some people poison cats just because they do not like the animal. do they get punished?

what is karma, when it comes to reality? you get what you put in? not in a thousand years. maybe if you're lucky. but not everyone is that lucky.
    You have a point here, but Buddhists believe these people's bad Karma are not ripe yet. They may get it in next life in form of a bad rebirth (eg. Good people who got killed for nothing). Well, I must say I can't make you believe in this concept if you're not a Buddhist, but I believe in it because I'm a Buddhist. Cheers~
    Last edited by RyuHendrabusa; 24th April 2009 at 11:52 AM.

will it be another can of worms that some will not want to open? as in the case of the monkey who get peanuts for running another u know what charity org?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlim View Post

eh, i am not coming up with excuses for their excessive lifestyle.

up to a point some things that costs more, do lasts longer. it is so, for photographic equipement the often heard line get the best & dun need to upgrade... personally i am not the guy in the hot seat...

hmmm, where in my posts so far gave an impression i am supportive of religious buying branded goods?
    have u seen the "light" yet?

I know a monk who was a successful businessman with business in the region before he was renounced. He still drive his humble toyota and stay in his old apartment like last time. If all those have been fully paid and he decides to stay this way, I think there's nothing wrong. As far as I know, even local temples may not have place for every monk or nuns who wants to stay in temple.

As for donations, if they're for the monks or nuns, then they'll have their choice of disbursement, and those for the temples will go into different sub funds, and the accounts will be audited yearly under the non-profit organisation law.

Some monks uses laptop to upload teaching materials onto the temple's web site for downloading, send out various emails on teachings and events for all students, and also work on old buddhist text for translation or commentary...Now, that i think is adapting to our new economy...

Peace everyone, and may everyone be well and happy....

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    eh, i am not coming up with excuses for their excessive lifestyle.

up to a point some things that costs more, do lasts longer. it is so, for photographic equipement the often heard line get the best & dun need to upgrade... personally i am not the guy in the hot seat...

hmmm, where in my posts so far gave an impression i am supportive of religious buying branded goods?
    Don't worry, I was just quoting to support some of my views. I fully agree with yours.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast