Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 114

Thread: Monks allowed Credit Cards?

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Monks allowed Credit Cards?

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post

    $ingapore dun encourage begging $$ on the streets!
    Its not 'begging', going round for alms is giving the people an opportunity to do a good deed, thats all. And as a monk, they can not judge the food (even if it contains meat/fish, they should just eat it as it is a gift), as the food was made with love......

    Lets start giving cameras away as doing a good deed

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Monks allowed Credit Cards?

    Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    Its not 'begging', going round for alms is giving the people an opportunity to do a good deed, thats all. And as a monk, they can not judge the food (even if it contains meat/fish, they should just eat it as it is a gift), as the food was made with love......

    Lets start giving cameras away as doing a good deed
    eh, thatz a twisted logic (opportunity to do good deed) leh, so i should push a XMM down so another guy can be hero?

    wad about the food? i catch no ball...

    btw, wad has the above got to do with the thread title?...

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

    when u give ur cam away u may be feeding greed woh...
    have u seen the "light" yet?

  3. #43

    Default Re: Monks allowed Credit Cards?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dovedo View Post
    Please read the entire thread first before commenting. This is not so simple, just read that in Singapore, issuance of credit cards is subjected to MAS regulations which means you must earn a min income, unless u are student, nsf(which means u get only up to S$500 limit). That being said, he cannot legally get a credit card as a principal card holder since he is not drawing any salary.
    Friend, there's this thing called a secured credit card. Anyone who has a 10k deposit can get a secured credit card with the credit secured to the deposit lah. Nothing illegal.
    When I do right, no one remembers. When I do wrong, no one ever forgets.

  4. #44

    Default Re: Monks allowed Credit Cards?

    Hi, I'm new member too. I thinks there isn't any moral issues involved in giving credit cards to religious people. Its all up to individual on how they themselves managing their $$$$$ and be responsible to their own action.

  5. #45

    Default Re: Monks allowed Credit Cards?

    Devedo are you troll bait ? Why ask a legal and religious in photo forum ? Legality should not worry you - banks will run with the guidelines and it is their risk. Morally it is literally between the monk and his god and well his fellow monks - lay people have little say in this matter simply because most lay people are not fimilar with the buddist cannons nor the ameneds to them to allow monks to do their work in todays world.

    I remember 2 - a) must walk from point to point and not use wheeled transport b) travel in either singly or in threes no pairs. Some problem with following a) blindly in good old days (how do you cross and ocean walk ???)

    Just looking at fact that the monk in question has the financial abiltiy to lend the organisation 600+ thousand is in itself jaw dropping.

  6. #46
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: Monks allowed Credit Cards?

    Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    Lets start giving cameras away as doing a good deed
    MTL...I'll be glad to take over yours.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Monks allowed Credit Cards?

    i do not think religiously inclined "jokes" are funny...

    1 2 mock other religion oso is it?

    if this continue betta just lock this thread.
    have u seen the "light" yet?

  8. #48
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: Monks allowed Credit Cards?

    even shaolin is opening a sister temple oversea, other than opening to tourist to visit / experience a monk's life by staying afew days, for a fee, that is.

    while i do question about the $$ side of things since monk should be not lust for $$, i believe normal contribution will get them living more than comfortably here in singapore. at least thats my little understanding of its teaching.

    but monk should keep themselves relevant to the fast changing society, else how to spread the teaching?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Monks allowed Credit Cards?

    Quote Originally Posted by GDSNP View Post
    Friend, there's this thing called a secured credit card. Anyone who has a 10k deposit can get a secured credit card with the credit secured to the deposit lah. Nothing illegal.
    then his question will be, where does he get the 10k in the 1st place?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  10. #50

    Default Re: Monks allowed Credit Cards?

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    even shaolin is opening a sister temple oversea, other than opening to tourist to visit / experience a monk's life by staying afew days, for a fee, that is.

    while i do question about the $$ side of things since monk should be not lust for $$, i believe normal contribution will get them living more than comfortably here in singapore. at least thats my little understanding of its teaching.

    but monk should keep themselves relevant to the fast changing society, else how to spread the teaching?
    change yes...but wat he needs of money leh?
    おれのflickrださ

  11. #51
    Senior Member melvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    TPY
    Posts
    2,681

    Default Re: Monks allowed Credit Cards?

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    even shaolin is opening a sister temple oversea, other than opening to tourist to visit / experience a monk's life by staying afew days, for a fee, that is.

    while i do question about the $$ side of things since monk should be not lust for $$, i believe normal contribution will get them living more than comfortably here in singapore. at least thats my little understanding of its teaching.

    but monk should keep themselves relevant to the fast changing society, else how to spread the teaching?
    Sad that they Commercialised Shaolin sad very very sad!

    Agreed Donations in here should be able to let them get on with life as asking for Alms is not allowed in Singapore.

    keeping relevant i do agree but i dun see it as a MUST for the spread of teachings...

  12. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Monks allowed Credit Cards?

    this is not the 1st time $$ has tempted religious organisations. that is why those running multi-million congregation need to be more transparent on how donations (for wwant of a better word) are used.

    true to form, today's major religions are very commercialised, web savvy & in-tuned with the current generation. can say that some have very good outreach (marketing) campaign. and all this needs money, lots of it too. with more $$ can build bigger swankier place-of-worship, up its image & with it increase its ranks.

    to be fair let's stop giving money to your religion from today. will you, or not?
    have u seen the "light" yet?

  13. #53
    Senior Member melvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    TPY
    Posts
    2,681

    Default Re: Monks allowed Credit Cards?

    Aahh...Temptation! Hmmm...... isnt it the case, that all religious leaders/organisation supposed to be able to resist temptation.

    If this person is in such a high 'position' and still unable to resist temptation then sad to say he need to forgo his 'position'. He fail to understand the very basics of teachings.

    Commercialisation is a beautiful white lie to cover up for ............ and they definately no need a helping hand from me!

  14. #54
    Moderator Clown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: Monks allowed Credit Cards?

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    this is not the 1st time $$ has tempted religious organisations. that is why those running multi-million congregation need to be more transparent on how donations (for wwant of a better word) are used.

    true to form, today's major religions are very commercialised, web savvy & in-tuned with the current generation. can say that some have very good outreach (marketing) campaign. and all this needs money, lots of it too. with more $$ can build bigger swankier place-of-worship, up its image & with it increase its ranks.

    to be fair let's stop giving money to your religion from today. will you, or not?
    there's one fallacy in this statement tho,

    many major religious organisations or entities do not brand themselves as charity organisations which runs on donations.
    charity organisations will be scrutinized due to their accountability to the masses who donated.
    and donations shouldnt be confused with religious offerings.
    sigh.

  15. #55

    Default Re: Monks allowed Credit Cards?

    Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    A True Monk/Nun is supposed to be renounced from the material world.

    Meaning they no need Mobile, Cash, Cars, Credits Cards, Condo etc..... whatsoever material forms.

    Very sad but true.
    Mobile and IT products are not luxuries, they are just some equipments to help the monks work better.
    Cars like BMW, Mercedes, Volvo are out, a humble Toyota Vios is ok because the monks don't have time to walk barefoot from one point to another point.
    Cash is great and never enough. Cash can be used in many good ways eg, building temples and schools.
    Credit card is a convienent tool, we cannot expect the monks to carry tons of money around in the course of duties as they might be mistaken as "Ah Long"
    Condo is out they can stay in temples.

    To be a good monk it is very challenging.

  16. #56

    Default Re: Monks allowed Credit Cards?

    Quote Originally Posted by hanqiang1011 View Post
    They are strictly vegetarians who eat only a meal per day.
    Quote Originally Posted by bedrock View Post
    I believe only the monks from the Mahayana schools practise vegetarians. Those from the Theravada school scan eat meat they obtain from alms. They can't ask or choose the kind of meat.
    Monks from Mahayana schools practise vegetarians.

    Monks from Theravada schools eat whatever layman offer. Yes, they cannot ask or choose the type of food, but sometime they hint to their students.
    The monks from the Theravada temple which I attend eat a early breakfast at 06:00am in the morning and a lunch at 01:00pm. After that they say they can only drink and swallow things that melt in the mouth.

  17. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Monks allowed Credit Cards?

    Quote Originally Posted by Clown View Post
    there's one fallacy in this statement tho,

    many major religious organisations or entities do not brand themselves as charity organisations which runs on donations.
    charity organisations will be scrutinized due to their accountability to the masses who donated.
    and donations shouldnt be confused with religious offerings.
    the newer & fancier buildings place of worship really speak for themselves about how (much) money is spent. did someone say about not needing money? when there is an increase in numbers there is a need to cater to expansion- that expansion costs money.

    thanks 4 pointing out & making my point clearer. how does 1 go about defining donations & religious offerings?

    TIA.
    Last edited by sORe-EyEz; 18th April 2009 at 06:18 PM. Reason: general text edit
    have u seen the "light" yet?

  18. #58
    Senior Member melvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    TPY
    Posts
    2,681

    Default Re: Monks allowed Credit Cards?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jukon View Post
    Mobile and IT products are not luxuries, they are just some equipments to help the monks work better.
    Cars like BMW, Mercedes, Volvo are out, a humble Toyota Vios is ok because the monks don't have time to walk barefoot from one point to another point.
    Cash is great and never enough. Cash can be used in many good ways eg, building temples and schools.
    Credit card is a convienent tool, we cannot expect the monks to carry tons of money around in the course of duties as they might be mistaken as "Ah Long"
    Condo is out they can stay in temples.

    To be a good monk it is very challenging.
    Work? Do monks really work? for $$$? defeat purpose.

    Car is still a luxury while walking may not possible but there are still other means of transport like Buses n MRT but do they need to travel alot? everyday? So is cash they dun bulid temples and school everyday or alot of times. I know still need cash maybe for daily expenses in the temple etc...

    As a monk i dun think they have alot of things or very expensive to buy which they requires to bring out stacks of cash so credit cards is no need la...


  19. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Monks allowed Credit Cards?

    Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Work? Do monks really work? for $$$? defeat purpose.

    Car is still a luxury while walking may not possible but there are still other means of transport like Buses n MRT but do they need to travel alot? everyday? So is cash they dun bulid temples and school everyday or alot of times. I know still need cash maybe for daily expenses in the temple etc...

    As a monk i dun think they have alot of things or very expensive to buy which they requires to bring out stacks of cash so credit cards is no need la...

    eh, other religions do hire staff. u can oso ask if they really work?

    i do agree in S'pore alone, a car is a luxury. but why single monks out? are they (among the few major religious organisations) the only ones who have cars?
    have u seen the "light" yet?

  20. #60

    Default Re: Monks allowed Credit Cards?

    Only the recognised body can answer to all the doubts..

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •