Thread: ISO Question: When should I manually adjust them?

Default ISO Question: When should I manually adjust them?

I am using A70 and most of the time, i always use manual control. ISO is the only setting that I never used.

My question is when should I use it? Will it benefit to my picture especially the quality?

The higher the ISO, the more noise is on the picture.
    The higher the ISO, the faster the shutter speed for the same scenery.

iso is the industry's standard for sensitivity to light...
    higher no means more sensitive
    therefore it allows smaller appertures and faster shutter speeds
    set to high iso when the readings are not good for handholding or freezing motion.

but according to the previous post, there will be more noise.

My guess would be that when there is sufficient light, you might want to choose a lower 50, 100, 200? And when there is little light, you can shoot at higher ISOs. eg 400, 800?

But like what the others said, expect noise at higher ISOs and low light conditions.

What I suggest is that you take a couple of shots at different ISOs and at different light conditions. After that you would be able to gauge for yourself.

If its too confusing....guess you can just leave it on auto...

You would probably choose a higher ISO speed manually when you have specific situations you want to trade off graininess (or noise) for speed, e.g. shooting fast-action sports in the evening, stage photography where flashlights are not allowed, etc. You want sharp, action-freezing shots rather than a blurred mass/mess of colours.

It really depends how much off the trade-off in image quality you are willing to accept for your situation. Different digicams exhibit different characteristics--some have more "noise" compared to other cameras at the same ISO speed; others have less. So experiment with your camera and see what you can expect.

Having a fixed ISO speed (personal perference) lets me more accurately guess the outcome given the same set of aperature and shutter settings at a particular lighting situation.

Thanks for the replies, guys! I really appreciate it.

I've tried playing with the ISO settings, really, some photos really worth trading with the grains.