Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 57 of 57

Thread: Why Pentax?

  1. #41
    Senior Member felixcat8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,108

    Default Re: Why Pentax?

    Dear Emjay,

    I am still waiting for the price list to appear soon as I am interested in getting something from our new distributor thru MS Color . . .
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2



  2. #42

    Default Re: Why Pentax?

    I bought the K20D mostly because of the 16-50 - it's the widest angle first party normal zoom lens available for any crop sensor DSLR. It helped that I had the K100D before that.

    I bought the K100D because it was the best priced (at the time) setup for someone who wanted a DSLR + kit + fast (1.4) 50.

    --
    The market is somewhat more challenging now, I think the Nikon lineup makes the most sense for a beginner (D40/D60 + 18-55 VR + 35/1.8, especially since the K2000/K-m faltered at dpreview, has not been properly reviewed at Imaging Resource, has not been reviewed at all by dcresource, is not available in Singapore, and the K200D is not priced to compete.

    For the next step up, the K20D is still terribly tempting, especially at Amazon US prices, but Pentax's continuing failure to release a decent long zoom (60-250/4 coming would be great) and rumbles about focus speed are not very helpful, especially since the Canon 40D is also available quite cheaply.

  3. #43
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: Why Pentax?

    Quote Originally Posted by dnaxe View Post
    ...
    The market is somewhat more challenging now, I think the Nikon lineup makes the most sense for a beginner (D40/D60 + 18-55 VR + 35/1.8, especially since the K2000/K-m faltered at dpreview, has not been properly reviewed at Imaging Resource, has not been reviewed at all by dcresource, is not available in Singapore, and the K200D is not priced to compete.

    For the next step up, the K20D is still terribly tempting, especially at Amazon US prices, but Pentax's continuing failure to release a decent long zoom (60-250/4 coming would be great) and rumbles about focus speed are not very helpful, especially since the Canon 40D is also available quite cheaply.
    All I can say is it seems like you're relying too much on internet reviews to assess things. I bought the K-m for my niece and the issues that dpreview highlight does not bear out imo. All I can say is take the so called expert opinions online with a bagful of salt...

  4. #44
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: Why Pentax?

    Why Pentax?
    I had 2 Nikon D70 cameras fail on me... early adopter blues...
    Could have gone Canon (plasticky and terrible ergonomics) or Sony (damn noisy at high ISO) but in body Shake Reduction was the main draw plus I could get my K100D from Australia at a very good price then.

  5. #45

    Default Re: Why Pentax?

    Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    All I can say is it seems like you're relying too much on internet reviews to assess things. I bought the K-m for my niece and the issues that dpreview highlight does not bear out imo. All I can say is take the so called expert opinions online with a bagful of salt...
    Apart from online reviews, the only other thing is existing customer experience. Perhaps with MJ around things will get better, but to be honest, even as someone who shoots Pentax, I find it hard to recommend that anyone (in Singapore) should buy Pentax - the local K20D price is very much higher and recommending purchasing on Amazon US is usually not ideal, while the k-m is either not available or not competitively priced, and lens/accessory availability is low.

    With the last 6 months 2 of my friends have bought DSLRs on my recommendation (I usually recommend two options and get them to go hold them) - one D90, one 50D (I said get 40D but she liketh the new).

    At least previously the K100D/K200D didn't have the review problem and also had a slight price advantage.

  6. #46

    Default Re: Why Pentax?

    Quote Originally Posted by dnaxe View Post
    --
    The market is somewhat more challenging now, I think the Nikon lineup makes the most sense for a beginner (D40/D60 + 18-55 VR + 35/1.8, especially since the K2000/K-m faltered at dpreview, has not been properly reviewed at Imaging Resource, has not been reviewed at all by dcresource, is not available in Singapore, and the K200D is not priced to compete.
    Actually some Km/K2000 reviews are very positive:
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/digita.../Pentax-K-m/p1
    http://www.popphoto.com//Reviews/Cam...00-Camera-Test
    http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...iew-k2000.html

    As to the lack of availability, many have said here before, that's because previous agent didn't want to import any more Pentax items when they were in the process of dumping (not a good word, but it's true) Pentax. I'm sure MJ will make this camera available here very soon

  7. #47
    Senior Member felixcat8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,108

    Default Re: Why Pentax?

    Having spoken to MJ, I have the knoewledge that they will be bringing in theK20D, K-m and the yet to be announced DSLR. They did not say anything about K200D, but hopefully, they would bring that in too, for those who are interested in a slightly bigger body for entry-level.
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2



  8. #48

    Default Re: Why Pentax?

    To be terribly pedantic, I don't really think that popphoto or trustedreviews are quite as good. Popphoto tends to like everything they review (although their awards are worth looking at) and trustedreviews is not bad - for computer components.

    Do you have any insight or knowledge as to why some of the usual suspects haven't looked at the k-m? (imaging central, dc resource)

    As to the lack of availability, many have said here before, that's because previous agent didn't want to import any more Pentax items when they were in the process of dumping (not a good word, but it's true) Pentax. I'm sure MJ will make this camera available here very soon
    You're probably right. Unfortunately it doesn't change the fact...

    --
    Hopefully in a month or so there won't be availability problems, the prices will adjust (relatively similar to US is good enough) and then Pentax will be competitive again
    Last edited by dnaxe; 22nd April 2009 at 12:33 PM.

  9. #49

    Default Re: Why Pentax?

    I would like to know when you guys say Pentax is cheaper what are you comparing with? K20d is about $1250 body only (grey from OP) whereas a local warranty D90 body only is about $1350+-. If you compare both cameras in local store, D90 is in fact cheaper.

    Lenses wise, all the FA limiteds are only f1.8. If you take a look at f1.8 of similar focus length from other camps, they are in fact cheaper. Example 85mm f1.8 @$600+- with 77mm f1.8 @ close to $1000? I think you guys are not comparing the 77mm f1.8 with f1.4 from other camps right? Naturally the faster lenses would be more expensive.
    The only lens cheaper than the other camps is the FA 50mm f1.4?

    The only advantage i can think of its the SR.

  10. #50
    Senior Member felixcat8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,108

    Default Re: Why Pentax?

    Quote Originally Posted by selling84 View Post
    I would like to know when you guys say Pentax is cheaper what are you comparing with? K20d is about $1250 body only (grey from OP) whereas a local warranty D90 body only is about $1350+-. If you compare both cameras in local store, D90 is in fact cheaper.

    Lenses wise, all the FA limiteds are only f1.8. If you take a look at f1.8 of similar focus length from other camps, they are in fact cheaper. Example 85mm f1.8 @$600+- with 77mm f1.8 @ close to $1000? I think you guys are not comparing the 77mm f1.8 with f1.4 from other camps right? Naturally the faster lenses would be more expensive.
    The only lens cheaper than the other camps is the FA 50mm f1.4?

    The only advantage i can think of its the SR.
    How can you compare F1.8 against F1.4. That is not comparing apple to apple. 77mm F1.8 is Metal/Glass vs Canikon 85mm F1.8 Plastic/Glass. Metal vs plastic, which costs more??

    Lenses-wise, we can use older lenses on our Pentax bodies with no issues. CAn you say that for Canon (Not one single DSLR can use the older FD mount lenses) or Nikon (only a few models are able to)?

    you need IS on the Canikon lenses while Pentax does not as we have in-body stabilisation. Of course our lenses are cheaper as compared to the same range as you need IS on the lenses while Pentax does not need . . .
    Last edited by felixcat8888; 22nd April 2009 at 02:22 PM.
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2



  11. #51

    Default Re: Why Pentax?

    Quote Originally Posted by selling84 View Post
    I would like to know when you guys say Pentax is cheaper what are you comparing with? K20d is about $1250 body only (grey from OP) whereas a local warranty D90 body only is about $1350+-. If you compare both cameras in local store, D90 is in fact cheaper.
    I said it's more expensive now (in Singapore).

    When I bought the K100D kit for $1050, the options were Nikon D50 kit at $1200, Rebel XT at $1300, Rebel XTi at $1700. (ish).

    In the US, the K20D is competitive at USD 670.


    Lenses wise, all the FA limiteds are only f1.8. If you take a look at f1.8 of similar focus length from other camps, they are in fact cheaper. Example 85mm f1.8 @$600+- with 77mm f1.8 @ close to $1000? I think you guys are not comparing the 77mm f1.8 with f1.4 from other camps right? Naturally the faster lenses would be more expensive.
    The only lens cheaper than the other camps is the FA 50mm f1.4?
    lenses:

    It's hard to say, because again, local prices suck. Having said that, the "limited" lenses are really built very nicely, and you are definitely paying for that build (or - small size).

    Apart from the limiteds, it's somewhat likely in places like the US that pentax lenses are cheaper. Offhand I would guess that the following are cheaper:

    35/2
    50/1.4
    50 macro
    100 macro
    16-50

  12. #52

    Default Re: Why Pentax?

    Quote Originally Posted by selling84 View Post
    I would like to know when you guys say Pentax is cheaper what are you comparing with? K20d is about $1250 body only (grey from OP) whereas a local warranty D90 body only is about $1350+-. If you compare both cameras in local store, D90 is in fact cheaper.

    Lenses wise, all the FA limiteds are only f1.8. If you take a look at f1.8 of similar focus length from other camps, they are in fact cheaper. Example 85mm f1.8 @$600+- with 77mm f1.8 @ close to $1000? I think you guys are not comparing the 77mm f1.8 with f1.4 from other camps right? Naturally the faster lenses would be more expensive.
    The only lens cheaper than the other camps is the FA 50mm f1.4?

    The only advantage i can think of its the SR.
    Not entirely fair to compare K20D with D90. Some say K20D is in a class above, more comparable to D200 or D300. Things like weathersealing for example, are only found on Nikon Dxxx series onwards.

    Is Nikon's 85/f1.8 some premier series lens, like the FA77 is? If yes, then I'll say Nikon wins on price. If not, then again, is it fair to compare them?

    And lastly, we can use practically all the older, cheaper lenses ever made for K-mount. That's also part of reason it's often said Pentax is cheaper.

    Cheers!

  13. #53

    Default Re: Why Pentax?

    Quote Originally Posted by felixcat8888 View Post
    77mm F1.8 is Metal/Glass vs Canikon 85mm F1.8 Plastic/Glass. Metal vs plastic, which costs more??
    Yes, I'm a pentax user myself and i have a few limiteds. I certainly know that the build is solid. But, i do not understand why so many people say pentax is cheaper.

  14. #54
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Beijing, Shuangjing
    Posts
    1,213

    Default Re: Why Pentax?

    For me it is the total cost of ownership in the long run which is cheaper. I came from the Canon camp, buying each L lens with IS is totally beyond my means. Same for Nikon, each of their trinity lens all cost over SGD2k. Take for example also the DA*16-50 F2.8, which cost around 1.2k locally (can be cheaper overseas) compared to Canon EF-S 17-55 F2.8 (1.4k) and Nikon AF-S 17-55G F2.8 (1.9k). And not forgetting this lens is weather sealed, the C and N are not. Anyway this is just an example, so its hard to compare apples and oranges.

    Also in terms of value for money for Pentax bodies for the weather sealed bodies and SR.
    Last edited by art2d2; 22nd April 2009 at 03:56 PM.
    Pentaxian for life ! My Webby
    K-X, DA70mm F2.4. DA 35mm F2.4, DA 18-135 WR

  15. #55

    Default Re: Why Pentax?

    Quote Originally Posted by selling84 View Post
    I would like to know when you guys say Pentax is cheaper what are you comparing with? K20d is about $1250 body only (grey from OP) whereas a local warranty D90 body only is about $1350+-. If you compare both cameras in local store, D90 is in fact cheaper.
    $1250 for K20D from OP is with kit lens

  16. #56

    Default Re: Why Pentax?

    Quote Originally Posted by selling84 View Post
    But, i do not understand why so many people say pentax is cheaper.
    Pentax mid-range stuff is cheaper compared to the competition and gets the job done admirably well, but their high end stuff (FA Limiteds and * lenses) are not exactly cheap when compared to equivalent canikon offerings. Ofcourse they are not identical in specs...in-body IS vs in- lens IS, weather sealing differences, USM differences (ring USM vs SDM) etc etc so a direct price comparison is pretty difficult.

    Pentax pricing was not competitive in SG due to the former distributor setting fantasy prices (currently SG$1800 for K20D vs SG$2100 for D300...imagine that).

    While Canon pricing in SG is reasonably close to those of US e-tailers, Pentax pricing was such that there was often a difference in hundreds of dollars between the US and SG prices for each body and lens.

    Atleast Canon pricing is relatively reasonable and you have a decent choice of IS lenses. Nikon on the other hand have no fast wide primes or zooms with VR. Only slow consumer non-tele VR lens. Even if you are willing to pay, you can't get a 17-55/2.8 stabilized lens for Nikon, unlike the Canon 17-55/2.8 IS and Pentax 16-50/2.8. Similarly you can't get reasonably priced long lenses for Pentax in SG ..trust me, I've called up every shop here...the cheapest quote I got for the Sigma 100-300/4 is SG$2.1k.

    So price comparisons do not tell the whole story....pick a system that suits your shooting style...short and moderate tele (< 135 mm), Pentax is very difficult to beat...above 135-150 mm, Canon would be a good choice.
    D7000 + MB-D11, AF-S 18-105 VR, AF-S 70-300 VR, AF-S 50/1.8G, Tamron 90 Macro, Metz 50 AF-1.

  17. #57
    Member kesha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Jakarta - Indonesia
    Posts
    326

    Default Re: Why Pentax?

    Value for money, ergonomic, light.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •