Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Price tags at 2nd hand camera shops

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    12,936

    Default Price tags at 2nd hand camera shops

    Saw that many items were tagged with prices in places like The Camera Workshop, and other 2nd hand dealers. Are the prices negotiable? And to what extent?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Price tags at 2nd hand camera shops

    Originally posted by mpenza
    Saw that many items were tagged with prices in places like The Camera Workshop, and other 2nd hand dealers. Are the prices negotiable? And to what extent?
    If they are left there to be sold, probably u can get the seller's hp to discuss with the seller but the shop will take a comission i think.

  3. #3

    Default

    Hi,

    May I know where's the camera workshop?

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    12,936

    Default

    Originally posted by charvy
    Hi,

    May I know where's the camera workshop?

    Thanks.
    Peninsula Plaza or Peninsula Shopping Centre.... I couldn't remember the name. But it's the building across the road from Cathay Photo's building.

    Checked.... Cathay Photo is in Peninsula Plaza, so The Camera Workshop should be in Peninsula Shopping Centre.
    Last edited by mpenza; 14th April 2002 at 07:32 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    12,936

    Default Re: Re: Price tags at 2nd hand camera shops

    Originally posted by xdivider


    If they are left there to be sold, probably u can get the seller's hp to discuss with the seller but the shop will take a comission i think.
    I thought those items were bought by the shops?

  6. #6

    Default

    The Camera Workshop is at Peninsula Shopping Center.

    If those displayed are on consignment, the price is set by the seller and the shop is a middle man of sort. The shop charges a 10 percent comission.

    It might be possible to do a bit of bargaining but from past expereince, not much as the seller usually received only 90 percent from the sales.

  7. #7

    Default

    Originally posted by mpenza


    Peninsula Plaza or Peninsula Shopping Centre.... I couldn't remember the name. But it's the building across the road from Cathay Photo's building.

    Checked.... Cathay Photo is in Peninsula Plaza, so The Camera Workshop should be in Peninsula Shopping Centre.
    Erm is it the shop beside Cathay Photo (pp)?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    12,936

    Default

    Originally posted by charvy


    Erm is it the shop beside Cathay Photo (pp)?
    hmm.... thought I said it's in another building across the road? ....

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,291

    Default

    since the shops also earn a bit of commission, so is it true that u can get better deal at Singnet Classifieds....etc?

    does the shop give any warranty or free cleaning before selling it to you?
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

  10. #10

    Default

    Originally posted by kamwai
    since the shops also earn a bit of commission, so is it true that u can get better deal at Singnet Classifieds....etc?

    does the shop give any warranty or free cleaning before selling it to you?
    Singnet Classifieds? Drop the idea of getting a 2nd hand cam there. That place is getting from bad to worse. Crop posting every now and then.

    Anyway, what SLR cam you got now?

  11. #11

    Default

    Originally posted by kamwai
    since the shops also earn a bit of commission, so is it true that u can get better deal at Singnet Classifieds....etc?

    does the shop give any warranty or free cleaning before selling it to you?
    The boss Don usually gives a one week grace and the goods are normally in good condition. You can return the stuff if its faulty or not up to scratch.

    Personally, I would try to avoid classifieds as you cant really get hold of the seller once the deal is done esp. if the goods are faulty.

  12. #12

    Default

    you should get better prices from the classads, but when you get 2nd goods from the shop, you have abit of "protection" due to the warrenty the shop gives. It is a risk that they take too.

    I don't think they send the camera for any "internal checking" before selling. But they do test it as much as they can without opening up the camera.

    I'm not a good bargainer, hence in my experience, the prices are TCW and Alex photo isn't very neg. I would avoid prime photo, they have quoted me some "wild" prices that made me wary of them.

    The prices at Cathay Photo are rubbish, take 50% off and you're get the true price. SOP for visiting Cathay Photo is to ask "what's the price" even when there is a price tag there.

    rgs
    36frames Wedding Photography - http://www.36frames.com
    rueyloon - http://www.rueyloon.com

  13. #13

    Default

    Originally posted by mpenza


    hmm.... thought I said it's in another building across the road? ....
    Oops. Sorry I missed that part. I must be dozing in front of my pc. Apologies..

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    12,936

    Default

    Originally posted by rueyloon

    I'm not a good bargainer, hence in my experience, the prices are TCW and Alex photo isn't very neg. I would avoid prime photo, they have quoted me some "wild" prices that made me wary of them.
    I've only gotten a 2nd hand flash unit from Alex Photo. There wasn't any price tag and I cut $10 off the quoted price of $120.... and bargained for a bag

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •