Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Lens recommendation for 400D?

  1. #1

    Default Lens recommendation for 400D?

    Hi all, need some advice on what lens to get. I just got my 400D probably about a month ago, been loving the kit lens ever since. So would wish to get another lens to try out and add to the collection.

    I'm like taking portraits and landscape photos, maybe some bokeh here and there. Looking for 3rd party lenses like Tamron/Sigma but not sure which lens is suitable for me. Any recommendations for a "walkabout lens" that will suit my needs?

    Thank you all in advance!

  2. #2
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: Lens recommendation for 400D?

    Which shortfalls have you noticed on your kit lens that you hope to overcome with a different lens? Do you want to replace the kit lens or do you want to extend the focal range? If you just want to try out then renting a lens could be a better option. In addition, there are plenty of reviews on dpreview.com and photozone.de.

  3. #3
    Senior Member jlkk76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,148

    Default Re: Lens recommendation for 400D?

    what is ur budget?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Lens recommendation for 400D?

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Which shortfalls have you noticed on your kit lens that you hope to overcome with a different lens? Do you want to replace the kit lens or do you want to extend the focal range? If you just want to try out then renting a lens could be a better option. In addition, there are plenty of reviews on dpreview.com and photozone.de.
    hmm at the moment i feel that there's no shortfalls, was just hoping to get another lens to complement this kit lens that i have..

    Quote Originally Posted by jlkk76 View Post
    what is ur budget?
    budget probably 200-300 for those 3rd party lens? just wanna try one out..

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    East
    Posts
    609

    Default Re: Lens recommendation for 400D?

    With your budget, best to get a 50 1.8 and a uv filter first, keep the rest for future investment.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Lens recommendation for 400D?

    Quote Originally Posted by 3in1c View Post
    With your budget, best to get a 50 1.8 and a uv filter first, keep the rest for future investment.
    Hi, pardon me if my question sounds shallow. What difference does a 50 1.8 have over the kit lens i'm currently using right now? the 18-55 3.5-5.6 IIRC..

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    38

    Default Re: Lens recommendation for 400D?

    50 1.8 is a much more sharper lens compared to kit lens. you know those pictures that have a focused object and the background is clear? 50 1.8 will create better bokeh and sharper in a way. It is best for portrait. I currently own a 400d, kit lens, 50 1.8 and a 75-300mm. i use the kit lens for landscape, 50 1.8 for portraits (lovely) and 75-300 for sports photography =)

    hope this helps =)

  8. #8

    Default Re: Lens recommendation for 400D?

    when i just started out with my 400D, the kit lens serve me pretty well for portrait and landscape... so i'm pretty sure you can use it for a little while longer

    like the previous few posters mentioned, at SGD200-300, probably u can get the 50mm f/1.8 1st. A used copy cost about ~SGD100... sharp (esp around 2.2!) and pretty good bokeh. I have been using it for abt half a yr now... still loving it
    Playing with M43.

  9. #9
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: Lens recommendation for 400D?

    Quote Originally Posted by Showa View Post
    Hi, pardon me if my question sounds shallow. What difference does a 50 1.8 have over the kit lens i'm currently using right now? the 18-55 3.5-5.6 IIRC..
    Look at the numbers, check the Canon lens line-up: http://www.canon.com.sg/section/digi...neup/index.jsp
    A lens with a single focal length ("prime lens") has a higher optical quality than a lens with variable focal length ("zoom"). The maximum aperture obviously is larger, offering the composition effects of a shallow Depth of Field. Your kit lens has smaller aperture that will also change when zooming.
    For prices check the Canon equipment thread, they maintain a price list for many lenses.
    Last edited by Octarine; 18th April 2009 at 08:37 AM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member jlkk76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,148

    Default Re: Lens recommendation for 400D?

    Quote Originally Posted by Showa View Post
    hmm at the moment i feel that there's no shortfalls, was just hoping to get another lens to complement this kit lens that i have..

    budget probably 200-300 for those 3rd party lens? just wanna try one out..
    with ur budget perhaps u can consider getting this:

    Canon 50mm F1.8 - $120

    2hand Tamron 70-300 - $180


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •