Thread: B+W filters need advise

Default B+W filters need advise

Currently on a Nikon D40 and a Sigma 17-70mm.

WOuld like to ask for advise regarding filters. I am intending to get the b+w filter since my fren is in Germany now.

However, need some advise regarding which one to get as I am unsure of which one is suitable since I am very noob to the technical terms.

I use my camera for travel, landscape and animal photography. Sometimes my filters do get licked by dogs when I am shooting them. Which kinds of coating would be suitable for me?

http://www.bpluswfilters.co.uk/files...ardFilters.pdf
    --> looked the the link above.

It seems that circular polarizing fitlers are the ones I am looking at, but I am unsure of the difference between each of them. Can someone advise me which one is suitable for my use?

What is the difference between the slim and kasemann and the basic CP filter?
    Would appreciate advises frm the experts!

Thanks a million in advance!

Currently using a Hoya 72mm UV filter...

Default Re: B+W filters need advise

Hoya 72mm UV filter works just fine with Sigma 17-70mm len if filters do get licked by dog.

B+W filters are made in germany, but they might not be cheap over there.
    For more CPL filters information you might be able to ask:

Henessy
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493951

or

Eugenep
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484184

They do sell B+W filters on mass sales.
    I'm looking at a different perpective of life.

Quote Originally Posted by xiaoxian View Post
    I use my camera for travel, landscape and animal photography. Sometimes my filters do get licked by dogs when I am shooting them. Which kinds of coating would be suitable for me?
    Definitely the bacon flavored ones

If they're getting licked by dogs, I'd say you need a longer focal length, unless you're going for that super distorted look that ultrawides can give you.

Quote Originally Posted by xiaoxian View Post
    What is the difference between the slim and kasemann and the basic CP filter?
    If you don't mind answer from a non expert The slim is supposed to prevent vignetting on wide angles, the kaesemann is better sealed against the environment. The only b+w filter I have is a slim kaesemann CP. It appears that the slim CPs have aluminum rings, not the brass ones that b+w advertises very heavily as a major advantage over their rivals. The slim profile also makes the CP much harder to turn. Finally, you can't use your normal lens cap on it - you have to use the one that comes with the CP, and it has a tendency to drop off as it is held in place just by friction.

I got mine from Adorama.
    Last edited by lennyl; 16th April 2009 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shin Howard View Post
    B+W filters are made in germany, but they might not be cheap over there.
    Had a chat with a SAF photog who just came back from Germany, apparently its more expensive over there

Thanks for your replies guys! useful inputs!!
    But still undecided over which one to get... friend hasnt reverted back to me on the pricing yet...

Shin Howard,
    Paiseh to go PM them and then i might not get from them leh...

Slightly off-topic, but you can seriously consider the Hoya HD Pro slim CPL. Easy to clean, can take a beating and ori lens cap can be used. Heard from someone here in CS that only the kaiserman's are made by B+W in Germany while the rest are OEM by Hoya (or was it Tokina).