Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 71

Thread: Review: All Camera Brands Being Reviewed!

  1. #1
    benissez
    Guests

    Thumbs up Review: All Camera Brands Being Reviewed!

    REVIEW: ALL CAMERA BRANDS BEING REVIEWED!

    For the benefits of Newbie (s), I知 writing this general reviews for different brands of digital cameras in the event you should need to buy one. Note that as far as possible, I知 keeping my reviews unbiased and that all reviews comes from my personal experiences, professional bench tests by other reviewers and long slogging of nights playing with different cameras.

    I知 not doing film camera reviews yet as the subject is too diversified and much more complex than digital camera- a great irony by itself.


    So here it goes:


    CANON: Good quality cameras. Consistent in its image reproduction. With the DIGI technology breakthrough, images are now crisp and superbly low noise at even darkest shooting situations. But then again, the images produced by Canon cameras are not true to real images. Their cameras generate slightly more vibrant than real colours. Many will consider vibrant as a plus factor, but to me, image faithfulness is more important. Any expert camera user will let you know that you can always adjust the colour saturation levels on camera or off camera to reproduce the 鼎ANON effect. The lower ranges of Canon digital cameras are not very much up to standard- affordable doesn稚 have to compromise quality always, and I知 referring to image quality not specifications and functions. Other than that, Canon has a slightly lower resale value especially when you going to sell it during the boom of another of its latest model. Think of the price of 60D when 10D was launched.

    NIKON: Good quality cameras. Very faithful to the real motifs. True colour and motif reproduction. High resale value. The only backlash with Nikon is that its cameras are always over pricey. Sometimes when being compared to other brands of the same standards, one may consider how in the world Nikon justifies the price besides the branding factor. If you intend to sell your camera or you池e the type that frequently upgrades, Nikon is a good choice.

    OLYMPUS: Great all rounder cameras for general use. But then again when you want a master of all trades, you probably lose out on specialty. A good example is the C 750 UZ 10x zoom which though is impressive, but extremely unstable. The colours reproduction mimics Canon痴 style of high colour saturation but it failed to cover the dynamic colour ranges the way Canon do, which results in sometimes strange colour effect when you shoot a technically difficult scene that is filled with diversified colour schemes. If you池e not into deep professional imaging, but want a camera that does everything at an affordable rate, Olympus offers you the great option. One more thing to look out for is its use of xD media card which is the most expensive storage medium in the market. If you take a lot of pictures, put this factor into consideration.

    MINOLTA: A long established name that always up to the challenge. It GT lens evolution is one to look out for. GT lenses produces high fidelity and stable images. Any Minolta camera that uses GT lenses is worth all the money. The weak aspect is that Minolta has no full DSLR type cameras- meaning you can稚 interchange lenses because it痴 fixed. Usually their DSLR are accompanied by a fixed 28-200mm equiv GT lenses which is more than enough for amateur-professional applications- unless you wanna shoot a sports star in the field from the other end in full body scale: that requires an 800 1200mm lens. Images by default are rather contrasty, and you need to do some compensation. Its top notch cameras are usually complicated for use by novices who easily gets lost with technical photography. Low resale value. More than good value for money by any standard unless you池e selling it away later.

    PENTAX: Still lagging behind the DSLR race. Very affordable prices for its normal digital cameras. Their lenses are usually derived from third party manufacturer. No high end Pentax DSLR or equiv yet.

    FUJI: Known for its consistency in image capturing. Colours are faithful to the original motifs. The fall back will only be that it has weak electronic manufacturing processes. Short-circuits, manufacturer faults are not uncommon. Frequently, some models are recalled for electronic adjustments. Picture captured are always on the softer side due to its OEM lens. If you like the softer , gentle side (romantica ?) of imaging, FUJI is for you; but if you are in for sharp imaging, then it would be otherwise.

    CASIO: Very good for Web applications only.

    SONY: Very good electronic and choice of lenses used. You can rely on the near perfect electronic components used that guarantees a life time use. The higher end cameras uses Carl Zeiss lens which is of very high professional imaging quality. The images produced by Sony cameras are rather contrasty and like Canon, colours are more saturated by default. Other than that, you won稚 find any other weakness on Sony cameras unless you wanna dig on its resale value. This is a good choice if you池e considering a camera that can possibly last you a life-time. The latest F-828 allows the use of other storage media other than Sony痴 propriety memory sticks. Memory sticks are expensive and if you upgrade into another camera other than Sony, these sticks will be of no use.




    ==== End ====


    To readers:

    1. Please send me a thank you if you find this review useful- it brightens up my day.
    2. For brand loyalist who may lose their objectivity in the review, please don稚 waste time arguing.
    3. If you wanna post this review somewhere, seek my permission first; or you値l be giving me an opportunity to pounce on you legally of course.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    West
    Posts
    3,136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benissez

    PENTAX: Still lagging behind the DSLR race. Very affordable prices for its normal digital cameras. Their lenses are usually derived from third party manufacturer. No high end Pentax DSLR or equiv yet.
    Looks like someone didn't do their research before writing such a review.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxistd/

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    Guess you didn't have much experience with Casio cameras. Many of the cameras are on par with the rest from other brands. Even back two-three years ago, they have cameras which are on par with Canon G1, G2 (considered the top range then) but yet cheaper. Casio's focus has shifted to making small compact cameras, which are capable little devices good enough to generate large prints.

    As for Fuji, the color is generally more saturated and this is what many people likes. Saw less manufacturing faults compared to Canon or the rest too.

    For authors:
    For brand loyalist who may lose their objectivity in the review, please don稚 waste time arguing.

  4. #4
    benissez
    Guests

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vulpix0r
    Looks like someone didn't do their research before writing such a review.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxistd/
    Read carefully "high end DSLR equiv"...

    Consider *ist:

    * Power zoom not available!
    * K mount lenses available with (function limited!)
    * S mount lenses available with adapter (function limited!)
    * 67/645 lenses available with adapter (function limited!)
    * Only 16-segment metering for segmental metering
    * Fastest shutter only capable of 1/4000 sec

    Can you consider such specification as "high end DSLR"?

    Who says I don't know my stuff?

  5. #5
    benissez
    Guests

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    Guess you didn't have much experience with Casio cameras. Many of the cameras are on par with the rest from other brands. Even back two-three years ago, they have cameras which are on par with Canon G1, G2 (considered the top range then) but yet cheaper. Casio's focus has shifted to making small compact cameras, which are capable little devices good enough to generate large prints.

    As for Fuji, the color is generally more saturated and this is what many people likes. Saw less manufacturing faults compared to Canon or the rest too.

    For authors:
    For brand loyalist who may lose their objectivity in the review, please don稚 waste time arguing.

    I'm talking about the context as in today... don't need to bring up stories 2 /
    3 years ago. Bring up a present day Casio cameras good enough to be on par with G3, G5.

    Compared to to the large scale of camera recalls and its frequency, Fuji has MORE manufaturing faults than Canon and the rests. Statistics rules the day, personal opinion has no room here.

  6. #6

    Default

    I think that was a good effort to give such a review. But with so many pros and cons in digital cameras, and given the wide range available, it's difficult to say one is better than the other. I've seen so many images taken by different popular brand cameras and generally they are all up to the present standards. From my observation, consumers are usually only interested in a few things:

    Looks, ie size, shape, colour, maybe a little on handling also, price, and the megapixels (though many of them have no idea what difference 2 and 3MP can make. Usually they think more is better!)

    So giving a side-by-side review of the different brands is not really useful from practical point of view. I cringe whenver I read our ST Computer Times reviews. If you notice, they are all about the same with different camera brands! MY take is as long as you are comfortable with the cam, it is within your budget, and you choose one of the top brands like Canon, Nikon, Fuji etc, you won't go much wrong.

  7. #7
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Kitten's Den
    Posts
    733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benissez
    Compared to to the large scale of camera recalls and its frequency, Fuji has MORE manufaturing faults than Canon and the rests. Statistics rules the day, personal opinion has no room here.
    Pls state the source of this statistics.

    I think it is good effort and goodwill, and not that I wanna *pounce* on your work, but personally I find the review far from being unbiased/fair and in certain areas plainly inaccurate.

  8. #8
    benissez
    Guests

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frisky
    Pls state the source of this statistics.

    I think it is good effort and goodwill, and not that I wanna *pounce* on your work, but personally I find the review far from being unbiased/fair and in certain areas plainly inaccurate.
    Why not people like you stop wasting my time and proof me wrong instead?

    Arguements like yours I'd heard again and again.... asking people to quote, cut and paste information linking you to all sources. Then after you lost your accussation, you go into hiding... why not turn the table around and you go and find and link the sources that proof me wrong.


    *I think you must be a Fuji owner, though you may say otherwise... your reaction and reply sounds very emotional*

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benissez
    I'm talking about the context as in today... don't need to bring up stories 2 /
    3 years ago. Bring up a present day Casio cameras good enough to be on par with G3, G5.
    Casio QV 5700 (using the same f/2.0 lens as the G2). Anyway, even if not on par with G3, G5 does not equate to being "very good for web applications only".
    Last edited by mpenza; 3rd November 2003 at 10:55 AM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,292

    Default

    Oh no, here we go again....

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benissez
    [B]
    CANON: ..... Their cameras generate slightly more vibrant than real colours .....
    Very surprise to see such comment for Canon - so far I have only seen these
    comment for Sony. In fact what I have read so far is that Canon is the one
    that produced the most real-life-like photo - some may say it's dull.

    I think comparing brand as a whole won't work and don't help - because there
    are some model within a brand which is good and some are not. Hence, reviews
    such as the one in dpreview is much more helpful.

    Just sharing my view - no offence intended - 'good' effort anyway.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,785

    Default

    Hey people, this is "Newbies Corner".

    If you disagree with the original author, why don't you just state your opinion, "i feel that Canon... blah blah blah..." or "My experience with Nikon is... bbb..."; i think there is room to disagree with each other amiciably.

    Let's make this thread helpful to newbies, not an warzone. There ARE many people who ask questions about diff brands.

  13. #13
    benissez
    Guests

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    Casio QV 5700. Anyway, even if not on par with G3, G5 does not equate to being "very good for web applications only".
    Then you wanna share with us what QV 5700 is good for?

  14. #14

    Default

    Well, to be become a reviewer, one needs to have an extensive experience with the specific products, not just one or two tries here and there...U dun want to misinform ur reader, do u? For a start, its "DIGIC" if tat's what u meant...

    U said "Statistics rules the day, personal opinion has no room here."
    But u dismissed the statement made by frisky asking u to show ur legitimate sources...
    As far as I concern, ur own review is based on ur own personal opinion as well...So u r clearly contradicting urself...

    Ur inability to accept ppl's advise & bashing them back does hinder u to become a good reviewer, let alone being a good photographer...Too much ego is not a good thing...


  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benissez
    Then you wanna share with us what QV 5700 is good for?
    For one at least, the Casio uses the AA batteries, not the proprietary ones.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benissez
    Why not people like you stop wasting my time and proof me wrong instead?

    Arguements like yours I'd heard again and again.... asking people to quote, cut and paste information linking you to all sources. Then after you lost your accussation, you go into hiding... why not turn the table around and you go and find and link the sources that proof me wrong.


    *I think you must be a Fuji owner, though you may say otherwise... your reaction and reply sounds very emotional*
    Well, u are the guy who said Fuji had the lion share of the manufacturing faults although the most recent hoohaas all over had been over the 10D and 300D's focussing issues. Note i said 'recent'. Dun u agree that the one who states a opnion should substantiate it with SUPPORTING FACTS? He hasn't lost the argument yet (if there is any) and frankly speaking i dun think he will lose it as i never seen a unbiased study on all the manufacturing faults of different makers. If u wanna use complaint reports, the comparison of the volume of complaints in the Nikon/Sony /Canon etc forums in dpreview is more than enough to condemn ur sweeping statements.

  17. #17
    benissez
    Guests

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by henavs
    Well, to be become a reviewer, one needs to have an extensive experience with the specific products, not just one or two tries here and there...U dun want to misinform ur reader, do u? For a start, its "DIGIC" if tat's what u meant...

    U said "Statistics rules the day, personal opinion has no room here."
    But u dismissed the statement made by frisky asking u to show ur legitimate sources...
    As far as I concern, ur own review is based on ur own personal opinion as well...So u r clearly contradicting urself...

    Ur inability to accept ppl's advise & bashing them back does hinder u to become a good reviewer, let alone being a good photographer...Too much ego is not a good thing...


    Ego? If you read from the beginning of the thread you'll know that insofar, I'm being objective. Open your eyes and see if you know who is objective.

    Quote? If I have to quote every sentence that I write in here, you'll will need to pay me. If not, and you wish to disagree, proof me wrong instead. This will make all the hoo ha more reasonable and objective- benefitting all.

    I'm telling people off because they reply for all the wrong reasons and just try to win somthing out of this. But know that if you wanna win amicably, show me you're right. I don't have to slog on every detail to self-justify.

    Remember, I started this thread. You disagree, disagree, like someone who is intelligent.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    ClubSNAP East
    Posts
    1,702

    Default

    LOL. I somehow saw all these coming when I first read this thread a couple of hours ago.

    Coz I personally don't think that writing a review *based* on brand is a good idea. Generalization just don't make sense, IMHO. Not to mention the "To Readers" lines.

    :Later,

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benissez
    Read carefully "high end DSLR equiv"...

    Consider *ist:

    * Power zoom not available!
    * K mount lenses available with (function limited!)
    * S mount lenses available with adapter (function limited!)
    * 67/645 lenses available with adapter (function limited!)
    * Only 16-segment metering for segmental metering
    * Fastest shutter only capable of 1/4000 sec

    Can you consider such specification as "high end DSLR"?

    Who says I don't know my stuff?
    What is a highend DSLR? 1D/1Ds? D1x? Please quantify. I've tried the pentax at an IT show and frankly speaking, i would consider it over the 10D, or a D100 and even the S2 if it had support for AFS/USM, IS/VR type lenses becos of the size and feel. The features are easily on a par.

    P.S. BTW the 1DS doesn't mount FD Canon lenses at all, so why is the ability to use legendary classic lenses a minus.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benissez
    Ego? If you read from the beginning of the thread you'll know that insofar, I'm being objective. Open your eyes and see if you know who is objective.

    Quote? If I have to quote every sentence that I write in here, you'll will need to pay me. If not, and you wish to disagree, proof me wrong instead. This will make all the hoo ha more reasonable and objective- benefitting all.

    I'm telling people off because they reply for all the wrong reasons and just try to win somthing out of this. But know that if you wanna win amicably, show me you're right. I don't have to slog on every detail to self-justify.

    Remember, I started this thread. You disagree, disagree, like someone who is intelligent.
    I think you have the logic backwards.

    For any claim that you make, the onus is upon you to prove it to be true, not the other way round.

    Objectivity is seriously lacking.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •