Thread: wondering about setups....

Default wondering about setups....

was thinking of setting up a rig for editing photos. not as if i didnt have 1 already. just hoping to have another one set up for my buddy.

with budget constrains... i was hoping we can get something good cheap and run pretty decently.

Would the AMD Phenon II be sufficient ? the upcoming PII 955 is rumoured to be releasing on 20th April thou...

or should i wait for i5 to be released ?

upon that, i am looking at a Gigabyte/DFi Mobo, with 4GB DDR3 Kit, 1TB Caviar Green, any DVD writer, and a prolly a GTX260 or 4890.

what you guys think.. not in hurry to purchase also. prolly end may affair kind of thing.

and i am now a intel user... so wondering if such a setup would be a huge jump, and would the PII perform better in terms if image editing, since we process quite large amount of files at once.

Default Re: wondering about setups....

Quote Originally Posted by glennyong View Post
    was thinking of setting up a rig for editing photos. not as if i didnt have 1 already. just hoping to have another one set up for my buddy.

with budget constrains... i was hoping we can get something good cheap and run pretty decently.

Would the AMD Phenon II be sufficient ? the upcoming PII 955 is rumoured to be releasing on 20th April thou...

or should i wait for i5 to be released ?

upon that, i am looking at a Gigabyte/DFi Mobo, with 4GB DDR3 Kit, 1TB Caviar Green, any DVD writer, and a prolly a GTX260 or 4890.

what you guys think.. not in hurry to purchase also. prolly end may affair kind of thing.

and i am now a intel user... so wondering if such a setup would be a huge jump, and would the PII perform better in terms if image editing, since we process quite large amount of files at once.
    skip the 1tb caviar green and go for 1tb black. since you only 1 have drive, unless you're thinking of having a boot with a veloci raptor and the 1tb green as primary storage.

seriously lah, if wanna edit photo, get 4890 for wat? even a 3850 below 100 is having same performance editing photo compared with 4890. save that money and go direct to i7 with 6gb (3x2gb) since most likely u're going to use 64bit OS with 4gb ram.

u intel C2D user? or C2Q or Ci7? wat kinda huge jump u wanna see? add more ram, u see more performance... nuff said...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

As usual I will stay away from AMD. The problem with Windows is their resource hungry and memory management.
    With 64bit OS your above should be fine. HTH

Currently I too using Giga MB with 8GB, nvida and about 4TB sata2.

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    skip the 1tb caviar green and go for 1tb black. since you only 1 have drive, unless you're thinking of having a boot with a veloci raptor and the 1tb green as primary storage.

seriously lah, if wanna edit photo, get 4890 for wat? even a 3850 below 100 is having same performance editing photo compared with 4890. save that money and go direct to i7 with 6gb (3x2gb) since most likely u're going to use 64bit OS with 4gb ram.

u intel C2D user? or C2Q or Ci7? wat kinda huge jump u wanna see? add more ram, u see more performance... nuff said...

hmmmm.... i've seen a spec rated like this.. C2Q6600,8800GTS,3GBDDR2,500GBSeagate, and it runs the software nicely.

so i am thinking of a setup for my buddy to be better and of course cost issue and prolly save the hassle from upgrading too often.

i7 mobo quite ex lei. 64bit OS is something we are going for also.

i am IntelC2D user. my specs are;

Intel C2D E6600 | CM V8
    Asus P5NSLi
    Kingston KVR DDR2 667 1Gbx4
    500GB Caviar Black x2
    CM 550 real power
    CM 90CFM fans x4
    and the blings and more blings as usual.

for me... anything more than this is an upgrade. but for my buddy, he works from laptop, and his old P4 system.

and i am hoping to get a rig up and running for less den 1.5k without monitor and keyboard...

cause monitors and keyboard can use back.

what OS are you targetting. 4 GB on winxp = wasting memory.
    2 GB is enough (make sure you get 2x 1GB as it is better performance than a single 2GB card).

Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    2 GB is enough (make sure you get 2x 1GB as it is better performance than a single 2GB card).
    hmmm...XP is phasing out i guess.... since some news leaked that Win7 is coming out in end of 09 ?

i am still open to advices...

Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    thats for DDR2 lah...

anyway, now, OS is the hassle part... hate this period...

Wanna use XP, outdated... esp the lack of support for XP 64bit.
    Install 7, lack drivers, and will expire in august for the beta, when it is released, have to format again...
    Wanna get Vista, sian, cos expensive, then if going to install 7 later, additional cost... the only solution now if wanna use 64bit OS.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

hmmm...XP is phasing out i guess.... since some news leaked that Win7 is coming out in end of 09 ?

i am still open to advices...
    wan beta? hehe...

its good... but there is this corner saying, Send Feedback... right beside that _ [ ] X

wan beta? hehe...

its good... but there is this corner saying, Send Feedback... right beside that _ [ ] X
    i have a quadro system running my renderfarm.... on Win7... but its ok ok la....
    but for family use... i think they quite like the interface..

thats for DDR2 lah...

anyway, now, OS is the hassle part... hate this period...

Wanna use XP, outdated... esp the lack of support for XP 64bit.
    Install 7, lack drivers, and will expire in august for the beta, when it is released, have to format again...
    Wanna get Vista, sian, cos expensive, then if going to install 7 later, additional cost... the only solution now if wanna use 64bit OS.
    thats why lor....

XP is very very stable.... and its sad to part it actually......... and Win7 is lacking the drivers. and not all hardwares are vista ready.. so having to find a Vista driver is a headache.

hmmmm.... i've seen a spec rated like this.. C2Q6600,8800GTS,3GBDDR2,500GBSeagate, and it runs the software nicely.

so i am thinking of a setup for my buddy to be better and of course cost issue and prolly save the hassle from upgrading too often.

i7 mobo quite ex lei. 64bit OS is something we are going for also.

i am IntelC2D user. my specs are;

Intel C2D E6600 | CM V8
    Asus P5NSLi
    500GB Caviar Black x2
    CM 550 real power
    CM 90CFM fans x4
    and the blings and more blings as usual.

for me... anything more than this is an upgrade. but for my buddy, he works from laptop, and his old P4 system.
    667 x 4? hmm...

u write fan for wat? fan dun add speed to system... where your gfx?

i have a quadro system running my renderfarm.... on Win7... but its ok ok la....
    but for family use... i think they quite like the interface..
    ooh, hello richie!

667 x 4? hmm...

u write fan for wat? fan dun add speed to system... where your gfx?
    oh... i left that out.. kk i update below.

Intel C2D E6600 | CM V8
    Asus P5NSLi
    Leadtek GTX 280 1024MB GDDR3
    500GB Caviar Black x2
    CM 550 real power
    and the blings and more blings and fans as usual.

ooh, hello richie!
    OLD quadro4 !!!! OLD ONE ! not the FX series....

thats why lor....

XP is very very stable.... and its sad to part it actually......... and Win7 is lacking the drivers. and not all hardwares are vista ready.. so having to find a Vista driver is a headache.
    i find vista very bloated...

xp initially also bloated... so have to install some software to remove that 'bloating' feeling...

recently installed xpy into xp, then clear off some stuff... clean install, running 10-25% CPU idle on lappy. now 0-10% CPU on idle, also run cooler liao cos not CPU intensive, and more responsive.

now 7 is fast, cos not bloated... i wonder retail pack will be bloated anot.

i find vista very bloated...

xp initially also bloated... so have to install some software to remove that 'bloating' feeling...

recently installed xpy into xp, then clear off some stuff... clean install, running 10-25% CPU idle on lappy. now 0-10% CPU on idle, also run cooler liao cos not CPU intensive, and more responsive.

now 7 is fast, cos not bloated... i wonder retail pack will be bloated anot.
    true..... but 7 is not out yet even till august. so i do not know if its even possible to have one, and i am not gg to install a beta OS.

still thinking man.... 1.3k is the max i can push for this new setup. but its going to have abit of oomph to it...