Thread: Use P or Auto to shoot

Default Use P or Auto to shoot

Hi, Do you normally use P or Auto to shoot ? What the different between them ?

For internal & Night shooting can i leave the lens hood on ? What abt the UV Filter?

Thanks

Default Re: Use P or Auto to shoot

Quote Originally Posted by noidea View Post

For internal & Night shooting can i leave the lens hood on ? What abt the UV Filter?

Thanks
    P: u set ISO, camera auto select SS and A
    A: camera select SS, A and ISO

No. "P" camera controls aperture + shutter. "Auto" camera controls everything.
    Yes, yes.
    D90 | 16-85mmVR | 70-300mmVR | AF-S 50mm 1.4

P = Professional mode
    A = Amateur mode..

P allows you to set ISO, metering, and shutter+aperture combo, while A does everything by itself

A for me is Aperture priority.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    A for me is Aperture priority.
    Got B Mode for beginner ...
    D7000 50mm 1.8G/35mm 1.8G

Thanks
    I use M, I get full control of everything.

Hood only reduce the amount of stray light entering the lens, and, making it more difficult to physically damage the lens (poke).

The primary use for a lens hood is to prevent light from hitting the front lens element from the sides - reducing contrast and creating flare. Pictures taken with a lens hood installed will generally have richer colors, deeper saturation.

A secondary use for a lens hood is to protect the lens. The damage prevented can range from a finger-printed front element (a minor inconvenience) to a broken lens (possibly a major expense - and lost pictures). Lens hoods are generally strong and stick out from the lens some distance. Accidental touches and scratches to the front element are reduced simply because the glass is difficult to reach. Some impact protection is gained from having a sacrificial part taking the blow. Of course, ultra wide angle lenses have very short hoods that offer very little protection.
    Source: The Internet. (some random site http://www.the-digital-picture.com/C...ens-Hoods.aspx)

UV filter is perfectly alright.

That's pretty nicely explained in your camera manual. Each shooting mode has its purpose, use the right one for the right situation.

Hood on, filter off. At night when you have lights in the frame (e.g. street lights) you will get flaring and ghosting. Best to take off the filter, lenses work best without anything else.

I use P over auto because I retain some control, such as ISO and the use of flash etc.

Yes, you can keep your hood and filter on permanently if you wish.

If you wanna learn more, go practise on Aperture priority or Shutter priority.

Go read up on the co-relation on Aperture, Shutter speed and ISO.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by burrppp View Post
    Got B Mode for beginner ...
    B? Bulb izit??
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

My Olympus e420 let me change everything in P or Auto mode, but i dont understand thre is a Ps mode????