Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HDR..

Default Re: HDR..

my advice is if you want realistic looking hdrs ( that is , if that is what you prefer, and what i advocate)

learn how to blend it manually yourself. this will give far more realistic and aesthetically pleasing results than photomatix, which is a wee bit cranky and produces artificial results for the most parts.

that said, if you massage it painstakingly in photoshop, you can get natural looking results, but nowadays i prefer to just layer and erase in photoshop. takes a lot more time, but worth it.

e.g.

a blend of 2 photographs (with gnd used though)

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post

a blend of 2 photographs (with gnd used though)
    This is good work. I like the clarity of the water and details in the foreground. Just like how our eyes see it.

It just goes to show how varied people can process and intrepret HDR.
    Family | Health | Happy-ness. . . my Flickr here

Hi,

Hope you dont mind for me sharing the processing done and as usual, do comment....

Some small information to share with all and here below is the x3 different image capture with AEB of +/-1:

These raw images are Merge to HDR in CS4:

Step #1: Automate - Merge to HDR - Select Raw Images - Open (under 32bits/channel)

Step #2: Filter - Photomatix - Tone Mapping

Below is the setting for your reference (it may varies based on different person requirement):

Step #3: Tone Channel

Step #4: Color Channel

Step #5: Micro Channel

Step #6: S&H Channel

Step #7: After all meet setting meet requirement, press OK

Convert back image to 16bits/channel:

Step #8: Image - Mode - 16bits/Channel

Step #9: Exposure 0 / Gamma 1

So forth steps is the extra adjustement layer used to further enhance the image. Main adjustment layering used:

1. Shadows 15/50/30 & Highlights 25/50/30
    2. Brightness 5 & Contrast 5
    3. Saturation; Master 10 / Red -10 / Yellow - 10
    4. Photo Filter: Warming Filter 25% (For Sky, Background)
    Cooling Filter 10% (For Reservoir, Foreground)
    5. Flatten Image
    6. Unsharp Mask: 30% / 1 / 0

Lastly, save image as Jpeg under 8bits or 16bits/channel.

Please refer to link below for the final image #58 (* calm *)...

walkabout HDR - image #58

Hope it helps you on your processing but again, it still depends on individual preference on the outcome and mood of the image.

Cheers!
    Last edited by soulFLY; 17th April 2009 at 09:40 PM.

One word.

WOW!

Thanks for the steps.. Very very much appreciated!

The colours are quite striking..

tonemapped, before Photoshopped.

The building colours are a bit pale.. How do I improve in it..?

Before photoshopping.

Pale colour as well..

These are the photos taken before a storm in bkk. Love the sun light rays..
    C & C are welcome..
    Last edited by VyNnNnNnN; 20th April 2009 at 07:58 PM.

use photoshop or any software that is able to adjust saturation.

nice hdrs actually!

This is what i did.

Generate, and tonemapped HDR using Photomatix.
    Use PhotoShop to edit again.

Adjusted the saturation, but the sky will look weird if the building is rich in colours. So i need to merge the layers twice, and mask. Maybe my setting in Photomatix is wrong?

How do you judge if the setting in Photomatix is correct, since everything is green in colour?

anyway , do you all pay and register for photomatix?as most of your images are without the photomatix watermark.

Quote Originally Posted by VyNnNnNnN View Post
    This is what i did.

Generate, and tonemapped HDR using Photomatix.
    Use PhotoShop to edit again.

Adjusted the saturation, but the sky will look weird if the building is rich in colours. So i need to merge the layers twice, and mask. Maybe my setting in Photomatix is wrong?

How do you judge if the setting in Photomatix is correct, since everything is green in colour?
    Hmm green huh? I have not seen such things. hah Actually I don't really bother getting the photomatix hdr settings right. If it fits almost to what i have in my head I'll just adjust in ps to make it correct. =)

Quote Originally Posted by samueltan902 View Post
    anyway , do you all pay and register for photomatix?as most of your images are without the photomatix watermark.
    I got my Photomatix Pro thru ... ... ... ... Guess such topic is not allowed to discuss in here.

Quote Originally Posted by Draken413o View Post
    Hmm green huh? I have not seen such things. hah Actually I don't really bother getting the photomatix hdr settings right. If it fits almost to what i have in my head I'll just adjust in ps to make it correct. =)
    Can i see your photo after you generated the HDR? Yes, before you edit it in Photoshop.
    I edited my thread. Scroll up, and see the photo before i edit the HDR.

hmmm.. s0o strange!

just after photomatix

After photoshop

Yes. This is weird. Very very very weird.

I'm on Mac, using PhotoMatix Pro 3.0.2.

How about you?
    Why am i getting green instead of something similiar to yours?

windows xp
    photomatix 3.1

Hm..

Did i do something wrong?
    • I took photos of +2,0,-2 RAWs + basic.
    • Open Photomatix Pro.
    • Click on Generate HDR image
    • Select the 3 RAWs.
    • Tonemap it. (Before tonemapping, it's already greenish in colour)
    • Save as TIFF 16bits.
    • PhotoShop it
    • Flatten to 8bits, and save as jpeg.

Is that correct?

Ok!

Now i know the problem.
    If you try to generate a HDR image using the RAWs, you will get the greenish HDR generated image. If you use the jpeg format, you will get a beautiful HDR image!

I even went thru the trouble to install Photomatix in Window XP. lol!

Thanks for all the effort, Draken413o

Improved HDR using JPEGs.

Generated from RAWs.

Quote Originally Posted by VyNnNnNnN View Post

Improved HDR using JPEGs.

Generated from RAWs.
    This thread is a bit old so I am not sure the TS is still interested. I am a new user to photomatix as well. beside those good feedback from other CS members (like using jpgs or tif instead of RAW), I would like to point out that the "stuck in customs" URL tutorial is not entirely a good way to process HDR tonemapping. It suggests that one should use 100 for the strength almost all the time. If you mouse over the strength slider, you would notice that strength adjusts contrast of the tonemapped picture.

I recently found out that photomatix handles contrast and shadows very BADLY (just like its poor capability in handling white balance and noise reduction). AN alternative is to do the reverse - set the strength to as low as 20 or 30. You will end up with a very unpleasing, flat and lifeless picture at first. but the colour and details are all there. save it as jpg or TIFF (i prefer TIFF as it contains more data, or just my imagination)

next, open the picture using camera raw in Photoshop. you will find that you can easily adjust the blackness, contrast, or even exposure to bring back the contrast, without the weird noise that would be caused by photomatix. if you like, follow the "stuck in custom" tutorial here on how to remove ghosts or other elements.

I discovered this by chance last night and think it has potential (but the experts might have known this for years and never shared it). I will be experimenting variants from this approach.

I hope this helped someone, anyone.
    If others have more insight, do share also.

Quote Originally Posted by emlee View Post
    This thread is a bit old so I am not sure the TS is still interested. I am a new user to photomatix as well. beside those good feedback from other CS members (like using jpgs or tif instead of RAW), I would like to point out that the "stuck in customs" URL tutorial is not entirely a good way to process HDR tonemapping. It suggests that one should use 100 for the strength almost all the time. If you mouse over the strength slider, you would notice that strength adjusts contrast of the tonemapped picture.

I recently found out that photomatix handles contrast and shadows very BADLY (just like its poor capability in handling white balance and noise reduction). AN alternative is to do the reverse - set the strength to as low as 20 or 30. You will end up with a very unpleasing, flat and lifeless picture at first. but the colour and details are all there. save it as jpg or TIFF (i prefer TIFF as it contains more data, or just my imagination)

next, open the picture using camera raw in Photoshop. you will find that you can easily adjust the blackness, contrast, or even exposure to bring back the contrast, without the weird noise that would be caused by photomatix. if you like, follow the "stuck in custom" tutorial here on how to remove ghosts or other elements.

I discovered this by chance last night and think it has potential (but the experts might have known this for years and never shared it). I will be experimenting variants from this approach.

I hope this helped someone, anyone.
    If others have more insight, do share also.
    Thanks for sharing..

Hi, an update after a few more tests. Perhaps a refinement to my statement. not all HDR shots should be done at 100% strength. some will look very bad. for those, dont be afraid to go as low as 0 Strength. (sometimes 20-30, or up to 60-70 works fine). for those at 0-20 strength, chances are they will look VERY lousy in photomatix. Don't worry. save them, open in PS Camera RAW, you can give it back the contrast by adding contrast, blacks or recovering highlights (whichever works, or combination).

Quote Originally Posted by emlee View Post
    Hi, an update after a few more tests. Perhaps a refinement to my statement. not all HDR shots should be done at 100% strength. some will look very bad. for those, dont be afraid to go as low as 0 Strength. (sometimes 20-30, or up to 60-70 works fine). for those at 0-20 strength, chances are they will look VERY lousy in photomatix. Don't worry. save them, open in PS Camera RAW, you can give it back the contrast by adding contrast, blacks or recovering highlights (whichever works, or combination).
    i would not go beyond 60 in photomatix. usually 30-50 is the good range for further manipulation in photoshop

but these days, i don't seem to touch photomatix much LOL

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast