Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 53

Thread: High ISO race - Your thoughts...

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,113

    Default Re: High ISO race - Your thoughts...

    You can push 3200 films to 12800. They will be super grainy, but grain looks beautiful compared to noise.

  2. #22

    Default Re: High ISO race - Your thoughts...

    It's more of a want than need for me.

    One example could be say I'm asked to take a pic of my nephew (4yo) who's always
    running around and we're having a meal in a restaurant with dim lighting. Using flash
    would be quite inconsiderate to the others and I find it hard to use a prime lens to
    track him so I use an f2.8 zoom lens instead.

    When I turn up the ISO and it gets abit grainy, ppl kinda give comments that the pic
    is noisy/grainy and rejects it I feel sad. I can't expect them to understand even tho
    I tried to explain a little ppl just think my cam is crap.

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,113

    Default Re: High ISO race - Your thoughts...

    Quote Originally Posted by T.A. View Post
    It's more of a want than need for me.

    One example could be say I'm asked to take a pic of my nephew (4yo) who's always
    running around and we're having a meal in a restaurant with dim lighting. Using flash
    would be quite inconsiderate to the others and I find it hard to use a prime lens to
    track him so I use an f2.8 zoom lens instead.

    When I turn up the ISO and it gets abit grainy, ppl kinda give comments that the pic
    is noisy/grainy and rejects it I feel sad. I can't expect them to understand even tho
    I tried to explain a little ppl just think my cam is crap.
    Grain is not noise.
    Convert to B&W and it'll turn into a perfect gritty feel.

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    1,105

    Default Re: High ISO race - Your thoughts...

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoricko View Post
    Grain is not noise.
    Convert to B&W and it'll turn into a perfect gritty feel.
    that i have to agree.....grain adds certain character but depends on application....noise generally lowers image clarity....

    also noise reduction usually removes details (that is what i remember...correct me if i am wrong...)
    G

  5. #25

    Default Re: High ISO race - Your thoughts...

    Quote Originally Posted by godzilla60 View Post
    that i have to agree.....grain adds certain character but depends on application....noise generally lowers image clarity....

    also noise reduction usually removes details (that is what i remember...correct me if i am wrong...)
    Yes it does.
    Looking for Photographers? | My Portfolio
    http://www.photoera.uni.cc/ | http://folio.navlem.com/

  6. #26

    Default Re: High ISO race - Your thoughts...

    If they can come up with high iso & megapix sensor at the same price mark then why not. If you don't want to use it you can always set to lower mega pixels or lower iso on the camera. Anyway I've always felt that if only exposure is a concern, then having a high iso body is better then having to buy a bright lens, caus all your other lens will benefit as well. Sadly its not an apple to apple comparison in real life caus most of the time the bright lens also come with better image quality.

  7. #27
    Member CaravanDuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
    Posts
    178

    Default Re: High ISO race - Your thoughts...

    Quote Originally Posted by Akatsuki View Post
    and yes, i do believe that a camera that can deliver high ISO performance is more important than a camera that try to "out-pixel" their rivals
    +1000
    PAID MALE MODEL SHOOTING IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED for http://satindolls.multiply.com/photos

  8. #28

    Default Re: High ISO race - Your thoughts...

    i lack the high ISO capability with only max at ISO 1600.. even at f1.8, it's quite slow for me at night time. That's where high ISO for me is important and throwing my 450D body away is my next move.
    Loslos...

  9. #29
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: High ISO race - Your thoughts...

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoricko View Post
    Grain is not noise.
    Convert to B&W and it'll turn into a perfect gritty feel.
    Grain is beautiful, noise is abit sore to see.........

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    1,105

    Default Re: High ISO race - Your thoughts...

    Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    Grain is beautiful, noise is abit sore to see.........
    well....as usual....this is also relative.....haha
    G

  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    1,105

    Default Re: High ISO race - Your thoughts...

    Seems like there is no perfect do-it-all camera......with high megapixels and high and clean ISO capability.....

    or is the 5dmk2 close to achieving it? tried the 5dmk2 at the canon showroom....the noise level at iso 6400 was almost on par as my A700 iso 1000! But forgot to check if it is jpeg or raw...coz most noise suppression takes place during conversion to jpeg....

    if the noise level for RAW format is that good for 5dmk2, i will say it is impressive

    but if the noise level is only reduced after noise suppression during jpeg conversion, i dun think it is that impressive anymore

    maybe one day, i go try to shoot in raw....or alternatively, anyone got experience?
    G

  12. #32

    Default Re: High ISO race - Your thoughts...

    like megapixels, there is a limit to when any higher is just basically useless.

    For me, I just need 12 megapixels. For high ISO, with ISO6400 f2.8, I can shoot in almost any light with a stable handhold, even in underground caves lit by small artificial lighting. Maybe a clean ISO12800 can help somemore but beyond that, there is really not much point anymore.

  13. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Farrer Park
    Posts
    989

    Default Re: High ISO race - Your thoughts...

    I think high ISO race and megapixel count would come to a saturation point within the next year or two.

    Companies are going to focus more on dynamic range, of 16-bit sensors and perhaps 3-dimensional-like imaging.

    One thing I do hope to see in future SLR cameras can be found in the D5000, that is, a swivel LCD.

  14. #34
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: High ISO race - Your thoughts...

    the hi iso with low/no noise, open up new shooting possibilities
    and you can shoot things that you couldn't before

    that is enough of a reason for me

  15. #35
    Senior Member CS TAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,663

    Default Re: High ISO race - Your thoughts...

    Quote Originally Posted by alan24 View Post
    like megapixels, there is a limit to when any higher is just basically useless.

    For me, I just need 12 megapixels. For high ISO, with ISO6400 f2.8, I can shoot in almost any light with a stable handhold, even in underground caves lit by small artificial lighting. Maybe a clean ISO12800 can help somemore but beyond that, there is really not much point anymore.
    High ISO can be bad for the bottom line of lens manufacturers since people might go for f/4.0 instead of f/2.8 or lower lenses if they get a clean picture at 6400/12800. Of course, there are people who wants better bokeh so they will still go for the fast lenses.

    EDIT: for me, I was thinking of downgrading my 70-200 f/2.8 IS lens to the 70-200 f/4.0 IS due to the higher ISO/cleaner pictures that I am able to get from a FF camera.
    Last edited by CS TAN; 16th April 2009 at 09:54 AM.

  16. #36
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: High ISO race - Your thoughts...

    Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    High ISO can be bad for the bottom line of lens manufacturers since people might go for f/4.0 instead of f/2.8 or lower lenses if they get a clean picture at 6400/12800. Of course, there are people who wants better bokeh so they will still go for the fast lenses.

    EDIT: for me, I was thinking of downgrading my 70-200 f/2.8 IS lens to the 70-200 f/4.0 IS due to the higher ISO/cleaner pictures that I am able to get from a FF camera.
    there will be a time that you wish that you had that extra stop of light
    since you already have it, just keep it

  17. #37
    Senior Member CS TAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,663

    Default Re: High ISO race - Your thoughts...

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    there will be a time that you wish that you had that extra stop of light
    since you already have it, just keep it
    Agreed. At the moment, just deciding whether the money saved (and the lighter weight of the f4) is worth the difference in that extra stop of light as well as bokeh...

  18. #38
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: High ISO race - Your thoughts...

    If you don't already have the F4, just wait for the F2.8. Oherwise you will forever be nagged by the upgrade bug.

  19. #39

    Default Re: High ISO race - Your thoughts...

    I think high ISO + fast lenses + shoot RAW provides you will a lot of opportunities that was previously not available. That's why I think you should retain your f/2.8 lens.

  20. #40
    Senior Member CS TAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,663

    Default Re: High ISO race - Your thoughts...

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    If you don't already have the F4, just wait for the F2.8. Oherwise you will forever be nagged by the upgrade bug.
    I have got the 2.8IS but is thinking whether I should downgrade to 4.0IS...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •