Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: No Frills umbrella - shoot thru umbrella for $2.99

  1. #1

    Default No Frills umbrella - shoot thru umbrella for $2.99

    Just want to share this tip.
    Guardian sells a No-Frills white/translucent umbrella that is suitable as a shoot thru/bounce for $2.99. You'd need to remove the handle 1st though, but it just involves pulling/twisting it off.

    Edit :
    I took my most willing model and did a shot



    Edit :
    Some shots of the umbrella diffusion and another test shot




    Last edited by pinholecam; 9th May 2009 at 08:16 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Serangoon North
    Posts
    2,225

    Default Re: No Frills umbrella - shoot thru umbrella for $2.99

    Daiso sells white umbrellas for $2.

  3. #3
    Senior Member darrrrrrrrrr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,208

    Default Re: No Frills umbrella - shoot thru umbrella for $2.99

    Quote Originally Posted by m3lv1nh0 View Post
    Daiso sells white umbrellas for $2.
    which don't really diffuse too well

  4. #4

    Default Re: No Frills umbrella - shoot thru umbrella for $2.99

    Some updates to this post.

  5. #5
    Senior Member darrrrrrrrrr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,208

    Default Re: No Frills umbrella - shoot thru umbrella for $2.99

    looks big & good, especially for the price. so far i've only seen the umbrella in all sorts of other colours..

    i think one easy way to remove the handle is to pour boiling water over the handle area to melt the glue.

  6. #6
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: No Frills umbrella - shoot thru umbrella for $2.99

    The price seems to have changed. I got it for less than $2 a few weeks ago... the next time I went again, it increased to $2 plus... near $3

    I just needed to twist the handle a bit and it came off... haven't tried it yet though
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  7. #7

    Default Re: No Frills umbrella - shoot thru umbrella for $2.99

    They know that more photographers are getting their umbrellas...

  8. #8

    Default Re: No Frills umbrella - shoot thru umbrella for $2.99

    Wow, good info, I like it. Value for money and pic for free...

  9. #9
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: No Frills umbrella - shoot thru umbrella for $2.99

    Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    Wow, good info, I like it. Value for money and pic for free...
    You remind me of Dire Straits... crave me to listen to the song now.

    ../azul123

  10. #10

    Default Re: No Frills umbrella - shoot thru umbrella for $2.99

    cool, how's the shoot-thru vs reflected ratio?

  11. #11
    Senior Member kel77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,061

    Default Re: No Frills umbrella - shoot thru umbrella for $2.99

    Just got one from my neighborhood Guardian and that was the last piece they had in stock.

    The handle is not difficult to remove from the metal shaft.

    The metal area that holds the umbrella fully open seems quite poorly constructed. Not sure how long it's going to last..

  12. #12

    Default Re: No Frills umbrella - shoot thru umbrella for $2.99

    While this may help to diffuse the light output from your strobes, if you're been using proper shoot though umbrellas like the ones from Elinchrom (Silky texture), you'll definitely notice the difference in light output - colour and/or softness. Apart from that, I am guessing there's a significant amount of stops of light the umbrella is cutting as compared to the proper ones made for photography, this could mean that your flash has to work harder as well.

  13. #13

    Default Re: No Frills umbrella - shoot thru umbrella for $2.99

    Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    You remind me of Dire Straits... crave me to listen to the song now.

    ../azul123

    sultan of swing also can lah.

  14. #14

    Default Re: No Frills umbrella - shoot thru umbrella for $2.99

    Quote Originally Posted by kel77 View Post
    Just got one from my neighborhood Guardian and that was the last piece they had in stock.

    The handle is not difficult to remove from the metal shaft.

    The metal area that holds the umbrella fully open seems quite poorly constructed. Not sure how long it's going to last..
    Quote Originally Posted by rendition View Post
    While this may help to diffuse the light output from your strobes, if you're been using proper shoot though umbrellas like the ones from Elinchrom (Silky texture), you'll definitely notice the difference in light output - colour and/or softness. Apart from that, I am guessing there's a significant amount of stops of light the umbrella is cutting as compared to the proper ones made for photography, this could mean that your flash has to work harder as well.
    wow, with this sort of pricing, one has always get prepared to sacrifice something. otherwise, bowens, elinchrome, broncolor and others will gone bankrupt soon.

  15. #15

    Default Re: No Frills umbrella - shoot thru umbrella for $2.99

    Quote Originally Posted by kel77 View Post
    Not sure how long it's going to last..
    Less than 3 times usage

  16. #16
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: No Frills umbrella - shoot thru umbrella for $2.99

    why not do a wall bounce instead?
    or a wall + ceiling bounce

  17. #17

    Default Re: No Frills umbrella - shoot thru umbrella for $2.99

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    why not do a wall bounce instead?
    or a wall + ceiling bounce
    that would usually work when you actually have a wall or ceiling to bounce with.

  18. #18
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: No Frills umbrella - shoot thru umbrella for $2.99

    Quote Originally Posted by fleaz View Post
    that would usually work when you actually have a wall or ceiling to bounce with.
    i would think that the photographer controls the environment and not the other way around
    i am sure that a nice wall is not too hard to find yes?

  19. #19

    Default Re: No Frills umbrella - shoot thru umbrella for $2.99

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    i would think that the photographer controls the environment and not the other way around
    i am sure that a nice wall is not too hard to find yes?
    I'm a nobody and still in the process of learning. I'm sure it would be rather easy to find a surface to bounce with indoors but outdoors? Please do correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

  20. #20
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: No Frills umbrella - shoot thru umbrella for $2.99

    Quote Originally Posted by fleaz View Post
    I'm a nobody and still in the process of learning. I'm sure it would be rather easy to find a surface to bounce with indoors but outdoors? Please do correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.
    I dunnno about you, but if i was going to choose a location to shoot, i would look for a location that will benefit me most

    every shoot is different, every location is different, if for example
    the location you choose does not have a wall
    then bring a "wall" along with you (eg reflector)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •