Thread: Which CPU is better? AMD or Intel?

Default Which CPU is better? AMD or Intel?

Hi there all..
    This question has probably been asked again and again... but I couldn't find any related threads in the searches..

I'm finally intending to get a faster PC for photoshopping purposes, but I'm kinda on a budget. Photoshopping, using Neat Image on a PII450 is just torture..

I'm just intending to get a CPU+motherboard+RAM+casing combo, with DDR400 512MB ram for a start.

But I've lost touch with the PC world such that I'm not sure which is better, AMD/Intel.

Am looking at at least a AMD Barton (2.5Ghz) or Intel equivalent (with HT preferably).

How much would a decent combo cost? Was thinking whether $500-600 can do the trick.

All my other h/w in the old PC is quite ok, so I'll port my stuff over...

Quote Originally Posted by SNAG
    Hi there all..
    This question has probably been asked again and again... but I couldn't find any related threads in the searches..

I'm finally intending to get a faster PC for photoshopping purposes, but I'm kinda on a budget. Photoshopping, using Neat Image on a PII450 is just torture..

I'm just intending to get a CPU+motherboard+RAM+casing combo, with DDR400 512MB ram for a start.

But I've lost touch with the PC world such that I'm not sure which is better, AMD/Intel.

Am looking at at least a AMD Barton (2.5Ghz) or Intel equivalent (with HT preferably).

How much would a decent combo cost? Was thinking whether $500-600 can do the trick.

Personally, I felt there are minimal difference, however I will go for AMD. Get heated up faster, but cheaper in every sense.

Clock speed to clock speed, I find that AMD is faster. My office Athlon XP 1800+ is faster than my colleague's P4 1.8Ghz. However no doubt AMD is cheaper but do bear in mind that you would probably want to invest in a better CPU cooler and additional cooling for AMD chips as they run relatively hotter than the P4 counterparts, thus savings wise not very substantial. My personal perference would be P4s cos I dun like to trouble myself with heat/noise issues.

Deregistered

the better one is the one that fits your budget, and does all your tasks that you ask of them. there is no simple answer, after all, we're already in the GHz days, not anymore in the 66MHz days...

Quote Originally Posted by SNAG
    Hi there all..

Should be able to get the P4 combo at around 600++

If you intend to get more with the least amount of money (better mbo etc), go for AMD. Performance wise is really quite similar, the chip's not the only thing that determines the speed, eventually it still boils down to the combi and the com management. But people still sometimes do go for P4 for a sense of security as it has always been rumoured for more stability.

My XP1800 runs at 1.53 but outperforms my brother's P4 1.8.

I just set up a few CPU last month, 2.4 P4 w HT on a decent mbo combo like yours went for around $650. A AMD costs around $50 less with a mbo providing more features.

Go with your budget and remember that its not only the processor. If you're intending intense graphics, a faster HD and graphics card is also important. ==> more $$ Argh.... its never ending.

hope this helps

I run both AMD (Athlon XP 2800+) and Intel (P4 3.02 Ghz 800/FSB) processors in my office as well as other processors and frankly both are excellent each has it's own merits and drawbacks. Stability is fine with both systems (am using good motherboards and lots of cooling in both systems).

For photographics work I'd base my selection on the following criteria:

1) RAM addressing speed

2) Software code optimisation. ie: Is the main application (Photoshop or whatever) optimised for a given processor command instruction set. If the software supports SSE2 commands then I'd be going with an Intel processor as the AMD's don't have the SSE2 instruction set.

Cooling with AMD's is a big issue if you don't get a retail pack processor with heatsink/fan or if you are going to overclock the processor.. The AMD website has a list of approved cooling fans/heatsinks for each of it's processsors and you'd be surprised at how few actually pass AMD's testing.

However with that said, you also need to really consider other factors as well such as motherboard chipset, southbridge cooling, hard disk transfer rates and access times as well as the operating system, potential bottlenecks such as shared video ram (which nearly halves the effective RAM speed).
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Blog Entries

Intel/AMD? PC/Mac? Canon/Nikon? How how how?

A couple of "comparisons" can be found online -
    Firing Squad "Building a High-End workstation" with benchmarks on Digital Photography - this one is particularly comprehensive with benchmarks for Capture One DSLR, some PS filters using Fred Miranda's actions, RAW conversion with Adobe Camera RAW. Also, the benchmarks goes to show that MORE memory is not necessarily a good thing.

Rob Galbraith's Benchmark comparison on Mac and PC platforms - an interesting report on performance testing on Mac and PC notebook and desktops.

My own experience tells me that AMD may be cheaper, but heavy and lengthly processing is a HUGE problem for AMD, which tends to overheat and hang. But then again, I do more video than photos...

Quote Originally Posted by yowch
    .... for AMD, which tends to overheat and hang.
    I can relate to that. Mine is Thunderbird 1.4G. It was running smoothly for months when I used it with an experimental watercooling system but once I replaced the cooling system back to a conventional one (heatsink and fan), it hangs after 15-30 minutes of use in a non-air airconditioned room. Then I was advised to upgrade the heatsink to one with a copper-base, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to help. I will stick with Intel from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren
    Intel/AMD? PC/Mac? Canon/Nikon? How how how?

Rob Galbraith's Benchmark comparison on Mac and PC platforms[/URL] - an interesting report on performance testing on Mac and PC notebook and desktops.
    Heheh oh the Mac users will want to thump you now for sure ...

More fun is at:

G5 performance trickery

More fun and games ..

The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!