Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Is photography largely a young-man's hobby?

Default Re: Is photography largely a young-man's hobby?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i am 22 and i do not know how to shoot humans. i also know nothing about life. but i think you are trying to flatter the young ladies!!!

i count as teenager or not..

teenager?
    aged teen goat maybe

22 and still want to be teenager? My father was a father of three at that age and I was already an uncle at the same age. My own lovely auntie has stuck at age 55 for the last 20 years. I am now 3 years older than her, bless her. Nothing wrong in flattering anyone. Problem is if you flatter a teenage guy he thinks you are after his girl.

Quote Originally Posted by davidlee View Post
    22 and still want to be teenager? My father was a father of three at that age and I was already an uncle at the same age. My own lovely auntie has stuck at age 55 for the last 20 years. I am now 3 years older than her, bless her. Nothing wrong in flattering anyone. Problem is if you flatter a teenage guy he thinks you are after his girl.
    so, what age then i become uncle ar...???

30? 40? then when become ah kong??

nowadays, people don't marry so early, not fair leh...

i am 22 and i do not know how to shoot humans. i also know nothing about life. but i think you are trying to flatter the young ladies!!!

i count as teenager or not..
    You are a goat boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    You are a goat boy.
    Sion then u r goat______(fill in the blank)

have you seen any photoshoot recently called

"sexy firemen"

or "retro uncles"?
    what a interesting theme!
    shall try it out!
    btw, I'm a SHE!!!!!!
    and i do agree that female photographer is a minority here...
    i WAS being mistaken as a HE even with my display name as TAMMY... :S
    The thing that i fear the most, is that my pictures will bore you to death...

So you listened to this song like I did?

so, what age then i become uncle ar...???

30? 40? then when become ah kong??

nowadays, people don't marry so early, not fair leh...
    become a uncle(have nephew niece) or people call you uncle?

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    So you listened to this song like I did?
    i prefer the pual anka now. lao chio.

yes to the above question.

if there is a poll here and ppl answer truthfully...
    i can say maybe about 50% of the ppl are in the age group of 20-40...

so its it largely a young-man hobby...

no doubt that there are women, uncle and grandfather, but largely it is a young man hobby...

just go to those photo-shoots or those events at shopping centre or those motoshows... the amount of young man eagerly firing the shutters, out ratio the other non young man group...

Sorry I beg to differ again. Young men do eventually grow old you know. What about all those young men that were interested in photography sixty, seventy or even longer years ago. They don’t just stop their hobby because of a certain age, unless they are no more with us, God bless their souls and their little Brownies. They are just not as mobile to go up a mountain for scenery, attend crowded motorshows with a tongat in hand. Ah pek like me is not so crazy as to carry all those heavy lenses and other camera equipment around. Hopefully, by the time you are 30 – 40 and still not think like a teenager or goat, you will be running or better owning photographic shop, studio or arranging photoshoots for wheelchair bound old uncles like me.

yup. young men do eventually grow old...
    but as they grow old other priorities in their life came in, with getting married, starting a family, etc...

no doubt that most of them will still take their cam out to snap snap, there are many other who will give up photography or just let it die a natural death...

while in their younger days, they would be thinking of buying new dSLR, new L lens and upgrades, there are many others who would just replace their dSLR with just a canon A70000...

and new "young man" will come and take up photography as a hobby... and the cycle goes on...

that is why i agree with the thread title...

Quote Originally Posted by tammyt View Post
    what a interesting theme!
    shall try it out!
    btw, I'm a SHE!!!!!!
    and i do agree that female photographer is a minority here...
    i WAS being mistaken as a HE even with my display name as TAMMY... :S
    Agreed. Female photogs are quite the minority.
    I AM FEMALE HEAR ME SHRIEK.
    Got mistaken for being a guy so many times I can't be bothered to correct the guys already.
    Esp during buy and sell.
    When they see that the buyer is a female for some reason they look mildly surprised
    Last edited by tainted; 16th April 2009 at 11:49 AM.

I would only agree with the thread if it only says photography is largely a young-manís hobby hijacked by the young. In our day ( sorry, I can hear all the groans, there he goes again lecturing) photography was an expensive hobby, in fact very very expensive, undertaken only if you have a good income or a rich uncle. I had to laugh when I read that you mention us oldies thinking when we were young dreaming to upgrade to DSLR. Wish only there was such a thing as digital. Goes only to show how the young have lost touch with reality. I would hazard a guess that photography is now at least 10 times or more, cheaper than in my young days. I myself could not afford to go into it too seriously because of the cost. Just think I had to spend a fortune on films, chemicals, water tanks, special photo papers, enlarger and all kinds of hardware, this is not counting the cost of camera and lens yet, just to see one photo. Not only that, after all that developing into negatives you find all the prints are blurred after all the different processes and have to throw everything away. No such thing as photo shops down the road to do cheap prints. No such thing as EIS or OIS and hitting the delete button. Just glad everyone can enjoy it now from the very young, my 9 years old grand-daughter takes photos for projects in school, to the very very old like me.

last time is chemical darkroom now is digital darkroom both need $$.

this photography thing is definitely getting cheaper. lots of young guys took up this hobby. as for girls...genuinely surprised to see more than a handful coz i sometimes see this photography thingy as an ego trip for young guys.
    おれのflickrださ

More than ever I am convinced photography in Singapore is dominated by young men with $$$ to spare. Just look at B&S threads, some even sell their gear after less than one month of ownership! Sisters who indulge in this hobby I see but a few (unless most of them are hibernating).

Anyway, it is great there are so many young adults who are into this hobby, as I am learning at lot from the technical point of view.

Keep up the good work all you young ones

Quote Originally Posted by tainted View Post
    Agreed. Female photogs are quite the minority.
    I AM FEMALE HEAR ME SHRIEK.
    Got mistaken for being a guy so many times I can't be bothered to correct the guys already.
    Esp during buy and sell.
    When they see that the buyer is a female for some reason they look mildly surprised
    I think there are more ladies in this business than meets the eye. Going by this forum, I have many times assume that the writer is male when in fact it is a she. How can you tell if some in their own infinite wisdom use names like Night86mare, Tainted, Sion, Riotvan, Evo-lution, etc. Please, please if possible identify your gender, male or female or even whether you are a billy goat or a nanny goat, to stop the confusion.

I think there are more ladies in this business than meets the eye. Going by this forum, I have many times assume that the writer is male when in fact it is a she. How can you tell if some in their own infinite wisdom use names like Night86mare, Tainted, Sion, Riotvan, Evo-lution, etc. Please, please if possible identify your gender, male or female or even whether you are a billy goat or a nanny goat, to stop the confusion.
    Hmm... I see my name somewhere......

Anyway, I dunno "david" is a male or female name. I have both male & female friends called "david"..... Can u please enlighten me if u r a male or female please?

U wanna know arh? Ok, I tell u, but once only arh.

Night86mare-MALE
    Tainted-Female
    Sion-MALE
    Riotvan-Female
    Evo-lution-Male

Does that satisfy your curiousity?

Anyway, in case u dunno, our genders are published in the public profiles. To access our public profile, just click on our nick, there will be a drop down menu. Click on the option "view public profile". Hope it helps....

Ok, now, I need ur help to enlighten me...

Let's say there are 10 David Lees here in CS, then how do u suggest we name them?

David-Lee-Male-01
    David-Lee-Female-02
    David-Lee-Male-03
    David-Lee-Female-04
    David-Lee-Male-05
    David-Lee-Female-06
    David-Lee-Male-07
    David-Lee-Female-08
    David-Lee-Male-09
    David-Lee-Female-10

Like that? U sure u want it that way?
    Last edited by evo-lution; 18th April 2009 at 11:25 PM.

actually, evo, i changed my sex to female just to see if any gwc would pm me so that i can bao dou them

but no one ever did, i think it is the goat picture..

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast