Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 72

Thread: Buying online??

  1. #41

    Default Re: Buying online??

    Rule of thumb, if it sounds too good to be true, more often than not, it is.

    Is the savings really substantial? I mean if you pay slightly more than the price mentioned and get it from a reputable shop, you won't have to worry so much and you get your camera immediately insteading of waiting for it to ship to u...

  2. #42
    Member Lord Soth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Neuschwanstein Castle
    Posts
    355

    Default Re: Buying online??

    Quote Originally Posted by r0n1n View Post
    have you tried those shops? any bad or good experience dealing with them? thanks!
    I have bought from Adorama before and can vouch for them.

    I ended up saving S$200 to 300 after including GST and delivery.

    In addition, my Nikon lens has a whopping 5 year warranty (Local 1 year + US 4 years) as compared with a local 1 year warranty. So I would say that I got a good deal.
    | Nikon D700; AF-S 14-24 f/2.8GED; AF 20 f/2.8D; AF 50 f/1.4D; SB400| Tamron AF 28-75 f/2.8 A09NII|

  3. #43

    Default Re: Buying online??

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Soth View Post
    I have bought from Adorama before and can vouch for them.

    I ended up saving S$200 to 300 after including GST and delivery.

    In addition, my Nikon lens has a whopping 5 year warranty (Local 1 year + US 4 years) as compared with a local 1 year warranty. So I would say that I got a good deal.
    Just curious Lord S,

    If you really need to claim the warranty, how much is shipping to and fro from Adorama or Nikon US and also will GST be charged again on return ?

    Thanks !
    Snap ?

  4. #44
    Member Lord Soth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Neuschwanstein Castle
    Posts
    355

    Default Re: Buying online??

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryosuke View Post
    Rule of thumb, if it sounds too good to be true, more often than not, it is.

    Is the savings really substantial? I mean if you pay slightly more than the price mentioned and get it from a reputable shop, you won't have to worry so much and you get your camera immediately insteading of waiting for it to ship to u...
    Yes. I have been trawling through the Photography forums before on online shopping.

    Normally, if other online shops can offer to sell products cheaper by US$100 or more than Amazon, Adorama and B & H, think twice before clicking that "order" button. This is because these heavyweights are usually the only ones who can sell at such prices.

    The only exception may be Ebay whereby Auctions can really turn out crazy sometimes.
    | Nikon D700; AF-S 14-24 f/2.8GED; AF 20 f/2.8D; AF 50 f/1.4D; SB400| Tamron AF 28-75 f/2.8 A09NII|

  5. #45
    Member Lord Soth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Neuschwanstein Castle
    Posts
    355

    Default Re: Buying online??

    Quote Originally Posted by ianwurn View Post
    Just curious Lord S,

    If you really need to claim the warranty, how much is shipping to and fro from Adorama or Nikon US and also will GST be charged again on return ?

    Thanks !
    It hasn't happened to me yet! I reckon that if (and that's a BIG IF) my Nikon lens ever breaks down in say the 3rd or 4th year, the cost of shipping should not exceed the cost of repairs. As for GST, this is now a 2nd hand item, I can therefore (in all honesty) declare the cost as being less than S$400, which is not subjected to GST.

    Now if I had bought a 3rd party lens, you do have a valid point as they tend to break down more easily than say a Nikon or a Canon lens.
    | Nikon D700; AF-S 14-24 f/2.8GED; AF 20 f/2.8D; AF 50 f/1.4D; SB400| Tamron AF 28-75 f/2.8 A09NII|

  6. #46

    Default Re: Buying online??

    Quote Originally Posted by cyquek View Post
    my experience with USPS is it will take sometimes up to 3 weeks. did they give you a tracking number?

    Hello cyquek, yes they did. I checked the tracking number on the USPS website, but all it said was the date the parcel was shipped was 07/04/09 from Lensmate.

    I believe the tracking number is only valid for transactions in the US. Once the parcel is shipped outside US, its whereabouts are unknown

  7. #47

    Default Re: Buying online??

    Quote Originally Posted by Erikkson View Post
    Hello cyquek, yes they did. I checked the tracking number on the USPS website, but all it said was the date the parcel was shipped was 07/04/09 from Lensmate.

    I believe the tracking number is only valid for transactions in the US. Once the parcel is shipped outside US, its whereabouts are unknown
    Hi

    Thats right. You ain't gonna get info from USPS anymore for such snail delivery. But if USPS has indicated that it is shipped, then it has. You can trust USPS. Just sit back and count the days till it arrives......

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default Re: Buying online??

    Just buy from a Singapore shop. It's not like you can't find 50D in Singapore. The prices of camera in Singapore are already very reasonable. Why go through the hassle of purchasing online?

  9. #49
    Member r0n1n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wild Wild West
    Posts
    801

    Default Re: Buying online??

    Quote Originally Posted by coinfucious888 View Post
    With a good SGP dollar to AUD dollar exchange rate of 0.91444, and if you have any friends visiting Australia, perhaps you should look at another alternative of sourcing your equipment from here.

    Purchases made here when exported out of the country is exempt from GST of 10%
    Quote Originally Posted by coinfucious888 View Post
    Just had a quick look at the website of a reputable seller in Perth.

    • For a Canon EOS 50D with EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, the listed price is AUD $2325.
    • For a Canon EOS 50D with EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS AUD $2595
    • For Canon EOS 50D Body AUD$ 1700.


    Take off the GST of 10%, how does it then compare with buying similar in S'pore ?
    No i have no friends visiting Australia, I do have one contact in Perth but looking at the prices more or less it is the same as SG market. Thanks for the info
    I shoot with my A7II . I shoot with my Kalashnikov AEG. I just love shooting ;)

  10. #50
    Member r0n1n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wild Wild West
    Posts
    801

    Default Re: Buying online??

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryosuke View Post
    Rule of thumb, if it sounds too good to be true, more often than not, it is. Is the savings really substantial? I mean if you pay slightly more than the price mentioned and get it from a reputable shop, you won't have to worry so much and you get your camera immediately insteading of waiting for it to ship to u...
    the price is way cheaper than the prices here in SG. But then again, as you've mentioned, it's too good to be true. thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    Just buy from a Singapore shop. It's not like you can't find 50D in Singapore. The prices of camera in Singapore are already very reasonable. Why go through the hassle of purchasing online?
    that's what I'm planning to do after all the comments I've heard from fellow forumers, a little more savings and then a trip to local shop is better than the purchasing something that is not worth the risk. thanks!
    I shoot with my A7II . I shoot with my Kalashnikov AEG. I just love shooting ;)

  11. #51
    Member r0n1n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wild Wild West
    Posts
    801

    Default Re: Buying online??

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Soth View Post
    I have bought from Adorama before and can vouch for them.

    I ended up saving S$200 to 300 after including GST and delivery.

    In addition, my Nikon lens has a whopping 5 year warranty (Local 1 year + US 4 years) as compared with a local 1 year warranty. So I would say that I got a good deal.
    hi lord soth, did you pay more for the extended warranty? or is it part of the deal? i think saving 200-300 is really a good deal...congrats to you
    I shoot with my A7II . I shoot with my Kalashnikov AEG. I just love shooting ;)

  12. #52

    Default Re: Buying online??

    Quote Originally Posted by r0n1n View Post
    the price is way cheaper than the prices here in SG. But then again, as you've mentioned, it's too good to be true. thanks!



    that's what I'm planning to do after all the comments I've heard from fellow forumers, a little more savings and then a trip to local shop is better than the purchasing something that is not worth the risk. thanks!
    Good choice, because what you have described so far sounds like a scam. Maybe there is a 5% chance that is is legitimate. But I wouldn't take that risk. Just take it that the extra money you spent is to pay for warranty lor. Nothing is free, including warranty.

  13. #53

    Default Re: Buying online??

    After reading for a few pages, I thought I should share some of my experiences of buying things from US.

    Western Union
    If possible, avoid WU as once the other party picks up the money (and he can do it through someone else) you have no way of contacting that person ever again, unlike PayPal or TT where PayPal by credit card can dispute and TT can lodge local magistrate court order to seek compensation. Their fees are also not cheap.

    USPS
    They do have tracking #, but it is only for express posting, within 3 - 7days. The others normal mailing doesn't have tracking #, will take between 10 - 14 days. Shipping via USPS will almost defnitely end up with the customs if the item is more than S$400, and you need to go to Paya Lebar customs office to pick up your item and pay the GST for the item.

    Buying Online
    Unless you are dead sure about the realiability of the seller and/or item canot be found locally, advise you to buy locally. It might cost you slightly more but trust me you will sleep tighter at nite, don't have to worry if the seller will disappear.

    Sorry for the long post, I think some of the seniors will know of all these but for fellow newbies, these are some information.
    Last edited by Jamesu; 14th April 2009 at 11:37 AM.

  14. #54
    Member Lord Soth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Neuschwanstein Castle
    Posts
    355

    Default Re: Buying online??

    Quote Originally Posted by r0n1n View Post
    hi lord soth, did you pay more for the extended warranty? or is it part of the deal? i think saving 200-300 is really a good deal...congrats to you
    No extra charges.

    The current situation is this, if you buy a US Nikon Lens (NOT GREY!) from an authorized Nikon USA retailer, your lens comes automatically with the 1 year warranty (which will be honoured by USA or Nikon Singapore) + FREE extra 4 years of warranty which will be honoured by Nikon USA.

    I got my Nikon lens from Adorama at a time when the US$ was really weak and before the current price surge implemented this year.
    Last edited by Lord Soth; 14th April 2009 at 09:38 PM.
    | Nikon D700; AF-S 14-24 f/2.8GED; AF 20 f/2.8D; AF 50 f/1.4D; SB400| Tamron AF 28-75 f/2.8 A09NII|

  15. #55
    Member r0n1n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wild Wild West
    Posts
    801

    Default Re: Buying online??

    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesu View Post
    After reading for a few pages, I thought I should share some of my experiences of buying things from US.

    Western Union
    If possible, avoid WU as once the other party picks up the money (and he can do it through someone else) you have no way of contacting that person ever again, unlike PayPal or TT where PayPal by credit card can dispute and TT can lodge local magistrate court order to seek compensation. Their fees are also not cheap.

    USPS
    They do have tracking #, but it is only for express posting, within 3 - 7days. The others normal mailing doesn't have tracking #, will take between 10 - 14 days. Shipping via USPS will almost defnitely end up with the customs if the item is more than S$400, and you need to go to Paya Lebar customs office to pick up your item and pay the GST for the item.

    Buying Online
    Unless you are dead sure about the realiability of the seller and/or item canot be found locally, advise you to buy locally. It might cost you slightly more but trust me you will sleep tighter at nite, don't have to worry if the seller will disappear.

    Sorry for the long post, I think some of the seniors will know of all these but for fellow newbies, these are some information.
    long but informative, thanks
    I shoot with my A7II . I shoot with my Kalashnikov AEG. I just love shooting ;)

  16. #56
    Member r0n1n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wild Wild West
    Posts
    801

    Default Re: Buying online??

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Soth View Post
    No extra charges.

    The current situation is this, if you buy a US Nikon Lens (NOT GREY!) from an authorized Nikon USA retailer, your lens comes automatically with the 1 year warranty (which will be honoured by USA or Nikon Singapore) + FREE extra 4 years of warranty which will be honoured by Nikon USA.

    I got my Nikon lens from Adorama at a time when the US$ was really weak and before the current price surge implemented this year.
    i see thanks!
    I shoot with my A7II . I shoot with my Kalashnikov AEG. I just love shooting ;)

  17. #57

    Default Re: Buying online??

    Quote Originally Posted by cyquek View Post
    Hi

    Thats right. You ain't gonna get info from USPS anymore for such snail delivery. But if USPS has indicated that it is shipped, then it has. You can trust USPS. Just sit back and count the days till it arrives......

    Surprised, the package from Lensmate arrived today!
    Lens cover with string
    Lens adapter
    58mm Hoya UV filter

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0441edited.jpg

  18. #58

    Question Re: Buying online??

    so for those experienced in buying on ebay and paying with paypal:
    what, to you, are telltale signs that the seller is a fraud?

  19. #59

    Default Re: Buying online??

    Hi guys, I just signed up with Paypal account. Why they need to deduct $3 from Credit card and refund me later for new account? I am not sure how this credit card stuff works, will I get penalty in this case since the charge from Paypal is less than $20? Any kind soul can advise? Thanks...

  20. #60

    Default Re: Buying online??

    Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    Just buy from a Singapore shop. (...) Why go through the hassle of purchasing online?
    Well, to avoid the hassle of purchasing from a Singapore shop, of course

    - Never found a website giving a price one day and another one (15% higher) ten days later.
    - Never found a website saying "We need to add taxes to that price, lah!" and then adding 20% instead of the correct 7% for GST.
    - Never found a website that says "Yes, we have it, and the price is 100" and then, once you are there with your money, ready to pay, they say "Sorry, we forgot to check the stock, it's out of production, buy this instead".
    - Never found a website claiming that "this is not our quote" in front of their own business card with a handwritten signature and a price.

    All the above is standard procedure in camera shops in Singapore, even in the "reputable" ones. Sim Lim Square. Funan Centre. Orchard Road. All the same. I thought SLS was bad. Wrong. Funan Centre's camera shops are more polished, not more honest. And even when they do their best, the prices are a few HUNDREDS dollars higher than in the US, e.g. the Sigma 50-500mm:
    - Adorama: USD 1059 = SGD 1563
    - Adorama, with shipping: USD 1126 = SGD 1665
    - Several shops in Funan: SGD 1950

    In the past year I checked the prices of Nikon's D40, D300 and Sigma's 10-20mm, here and in online - and offline - shops in the US and in Europe. The difference is always remarkable, and almost without exception, Singapore has the most expensive prices.

    I recommend buying at Adorama.com, Ebay, FNAC. Unless one enjoys haggling and/or being taken for a ride by a shopkeeper, of course. I would actually be ready to buy online and pay MORE, as long as I do not need to enter SLS/Lucky Plaza/Funan again.
    Last edited by claudio; 6th May 2009 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Closing message

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •