Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 72

Thread: Buying online??

  1. #1
    Member r0n1n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wild Wild West
    Posts
    805

    Default Buying online??

    I'm planning to upgrade soon (cam) and got this tempting offer from a shop in the US. Generally, what are pros and cons of purchasing an item online? I know I won't be able to see the item until I receive it, but the seller assured me that the item is sealed by manufacturer and brand new.

    Please do share your experiences, be it bad or good.

    Mods,
    If there's a duplicate thread, I apologize

    thanks
    I shoot with my A7II . I shoot with my Kalashnikov AEG. I just love shooting ;)

  2. #2

    Default Re: Buying online??

    U mind sharing which model of camera u are buying? maybe the members here can offer u places with better price. If you really want to buy online do remember to check whether it has international warranty and what is their return policy like. As far as i know only Hongkong are offering better price than Singapore. You may want to do a bit more research before you purchase it.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Buying online??

    1. Warranty issues
    2. Is that website reliable? What if you given the money but they never deliver the cam to you?

    Take note that these dangers.

  4. #4
    Member rajahchindian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Jurong West
    Posts
    179

    Default Re: Buying online??

    Quote Originally Posted by localhost View Post
    1. Warranty issues
    2. Is that website reliable? What if you given the money but they never deliver the cam to you?

    Take note that these dangers.
    and don't forget that you might end up paying more for delivery.
    EOS 7D | EOS 50D | EF50f/1.4 | Flickr | www.krjefferson.com

  5. #5
    Deregistered rgy1993's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    994

    Default Re: Buying online??

    if overseas i would suggest going with legit shops... ive heard too many stories of people getting owned by shady dealers on the other side of the world...

  6. #6
    Member r0n1n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wild Wild West
    Posts
    805

    Default Re: Buying online??

    Quote Originally Posted by mech25 View Post
    U mind sharing which model of camera u are buying? maybe the members here can offer u places with better price. If you really want to buy online do remember to check whether it has international warranty and what is their return policy like. As far as i know only Hongkong are offering better price than Singapore. You may want to do a bit more research before you purchase it.
    I'm planning to get 50D. Seller says cam is covered by international warranty and if proven defective, 1 for 1 replacement is applicable.
    I shoot with my A7II . I shoot with my Kalashnikov AEG. I just love shooting ;)

  7. #7
    Member r0n1n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wild Wild West
    Posts
    805

    Default Re: Buying online??

    Quote Originally Posted by localhost View Post
    1. Warranty issues
    2. Is that website reliable? What if you given the money but they never deliver the cam to you?
    Take note that these dangers.
    that's what i'm afraid of too, but seller provided me a reference who is also from SG and already bought an item from them. not sure if the reference is legit, but i will try to contact the reference.
    I shoot with my A7II . I shoot with my Kalashnikov AEG. I just love shooting ;)

  8. #8
    Member r0n1n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wild Wild West
    Posts
    805

    Default Re: Buying online??

    Quote Originally Posted by rajahchindian View Post
    and don't forget that you might end up paying more for delivery.
    actually, the quoted price already includes the 48-hr shipping and door-to-door delivery. sounds a good bargain but smells something fishy?

    thanks guys, appreciate your inputs
    I shoot with my A7II . I shoot with my Kalashnikov AEG. I just love shooting ;)

  9. #9
    Deregistered De3pster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Opp Macritchie
    Posts
    160

    Default Re: Buying online??

    Quote Originally Posted by r0n1n View Post
    that's what i'm afraid of too, but seller provided me a reference who is also from SG and already bought an item from them. not sure if the reference is legit, but i will try to contact the reference.
    even better still... meet up with the guy(reference).. or ask the seller if he is contactable with the reference.. and ask him to mail it to reference and you collect from him... then its safe you get what you pay for.. my 2 cents worth

  10. #10
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,420

    Default Re: Buying online??

    Quote Originally Posted by r0n1n View Post
    I'm planning to get 50D. Seller says cam is covered by international warranty and if proven defective, 1 for 1 replacement is applicable.
    If it's really international warranty then Canon Singapore will be your contact point, not the shop. AFAIK, bodies have local warranty, lenses have international warranty. Any 1:1 exchange would be his promise, shipping costs will come on top.
    Secondly, don't forget that Singapore customs will come up with a 7% bill upon delivery. Still a steal?

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,462

    Default Re: Buying online??

    Quote Originally Posted by rgy1993 View Post
    if overseas i would suggest going with legit shops... ive heard too many stories of people getting owned by shady dealers on the other side of the world...

    Especially shipping charges can cost you a bomb.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,462

    Default Re: Buying online??

    It much more cheaper buying from the shop.

  13. #13
    Member RAGE77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    north side
    Posts
    30

    Default Re: Buying online??

    if u use paypal its very safe...especialy if u buying from ebay....u can check the status of the seller...

  14. #14

    Default Re: Buying online??

    Quote Originally Posted by RAGE77 View Post
    if u use paypal its very safe...especialy if u buying from ebay....u can check the status of the seller...
    Paypal has a minimum before the protection kicks in. Seller ratings are easily faked.
    Alpha

  15. #15
    Member Lord Soth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Neuschwanstein Castle
    Posts
    355

    Default Re: Buying online??

    Some of the more reliable US shops are Adorama and B & H.

    There are many Bait-And-Switch(*) ops in the States, so please be ultra careful if you are not buying from either of the above shops.

    (*) As in they market the products $100-200 below what other reputable shops are selling. After you have placed your order, you get a phone call from the salesman who tries to sell you other stuff, especially filters at over the top prices. Either that, or they sell you extra accessories.
    | Nikon D700; AF-S 14-24 f/2.8GED; AF 20 f/2.8D; AF 50 f/1.4D; SB400| Tamron AF 28-75 f/2.8 A09NII|

  16. #16
    Member coinfucious888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    53

    Default Re: Buying online??

    Quote Originally Posted by RAGE77 View Post
    if u use paypal its very safe...especialy if u buying from ebay....u can check the status of the seller...
    Sorry....Paypal is not safe...read the fine print.

    There are a lot of horror stories here in Oz of buyers losing their monies to unscrupulous "backyard" sellers even though they paid using Paypal.
    Aussie Slang may sound offensive, it is the way we speak and not intended to offend.

  17. #17
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Buying online??

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Soth View Post
    (*) As in they market the products $100-200 below what other reputable shops are selling. After you have placed your order, you get a phone call from the salesman who tries to sell you other stuff, especially filters at over the top prices. Either that, or they sell you extra accessories.
    Or refurbished sets so I heard !

    When buying online, I go for reliable shops. For those transactions on overseas BnS forums, you may have to check out the feedbacks on any, and is a leap of faith if you are willing to risk. Beware if the price is too good to be true

    Ryan

  18. #18
    Member r0n1n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wild Wild West
    Posts
    805

    Default Re: Buying online??

    Quote Originally Posted by De3pster View Post
    even better still... meet up with the guy(reference).. or ask the seller if he is contactable with the reference.. and ask him to mail it to reference and you collect from him... then its safe you get what you pay for.. my 2 cents worth
    if both the seller and reference are legit, then i don't see a problem meeting the reference; that is if he's willing to
    I shoot with my A7II . I shoot with my Kalashnikov AEG. I just love shooting ;)

  19. #19
    Member r0n1n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wild Wild West
    Posts
    805

    Default Re: Buying online??

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    If it's really international warranty then Canon Singapore will be your contact point, not the shop. AFAIK, bodies have local warranty, lenses have international warranty. Any 1:1 exchange would be his promise, shipping costs will come on top.
    Secondly, don't forget that Singapore customs will come up with a 7% bill upon delivery. Still a steal?
    is that 7% GST? hmmm i know there are thousands of Canon dealers worldwide, but is it possible to check with Canon if the shop is an authorized dealer? regarding the int'l warranty, i believe its for the body and lens, but again let me confirm that. thanks!
    I shoot with my A7II . I shoot with my Kalashnikov AEG. I just love shooting ;)

  20. #20
    Member r0n1n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wild Wild West
    Posts
    805

    Default Re: Buying online??

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Paypal has a minimum before the protection kicks in. Seller ratings are easily faked.
    Quote Originally Posted by coinfucious888 View Post
    Sorry....Paypal is not safe...read the fine print.

    There are a lot of horror stories here in Oz of buyers losing their monies to unscrupulous "backyard" sellers even though they paid using Paypal.
    Actually the mode of payment is money transfer thru Western Union...credit cards or paypal is not an option. gosh i thought paypal is safe..anyway never used that before, and i'm glad i didn't
    I shoot with my A7II . I shoot with my Kalashnikov AEG. I just love shooting ;)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •