Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Choosing Biz Names.

  1. #1
    Deregistered eejal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    End of the Line
    Posts
    1,215

    Default Choosing Biz Names.

    Hi all,
    If i were to start my photography biz how do i choose a name without clashing with someone else's biz name? what would happen if you created a name and started your online portfolio, sekali someone told you that someone else is already using that name? urgh!

    thanks in advance for all replies.


    regards,
    rizal

  2. #2
    Member rajahchindian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Jurong West
    Posts
    179

    Default Re: Choosing Biz Names.

    well.
    i don't really think i can help you with this.

    i guess what you can do is GOOGLE the name u intend to choose.
    if taken, it MAY pop up in one or two of the articles.

    and let's say after you created it, and someone else have the same..
    i guess you can either go take the trouble to start all over again
    or
    you can just screw it and continue what you were doing.
    ignorance is bliss.

    however if you are registering with singapore government, that's a different case.
    but why would you? then you must pay tax!
    EOS 7D | EOS 50D | EF50f/1.4 | Flickr | www.krjefferson.com

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    sewage drain/manhole
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: Choosing Biz Names.

    I believe you can go to ACRA/Bizfile to search for registered name. HTH

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, western area
    Posts
    5,337

    Default Re: Choosing Biz Names.

    Quote Originally Posted by longkangman View Post
    I believe you can go to ACRA/Bizfile to search for registered name. HTH
    second this. not all registered names can be googled. you wont find some ah huat rojak stall being though? not that some hawkers are really IT savvy nowadays

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, western area
    Posts
    5,337

    Default Re: Choosing Biz Names.

    Quote Originally Posted by longkangman View Post
    I believe you can go to ACRA/Bizfile to search for registered name. HTH
    whats HTH?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Choosing Biz Names.

    rem yr name must still sound relevant still 30 years later..

  7. #7

    Default Re: Choosing Biz Names.

    Quote Originally Posted by sprintist View Post
    whats HTH?

    HTH = Hope That Helps

  8. #8
    Deregistered eejal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    End of the Line
    Posts
    1,215

    Default Re: Choosing Biz Names.

    appreciate all replies and advices.

    thank you all..

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, western area
    Posts
    5,337

    Default Re: Choosing Biz Names.

    Quote Originally Posted by localhost View Post
    HTH = Hope That Helps
    that helped

  10. #10
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Choosing Biz Names.

    Quote Originally Posted by eejal View Post
    Hi all,
    If i were to start my photography biz how do i choose a name without clashing with someone else's biz name? what would happen if you created a name and started your online portfolio, sekali someone told you that someone else is already using that name? urgh!

    thanks in advance for all replies.


    regards,
    rizal
    You need to go ACRA/Bizfile to search first, and some words you are not allow to use, like Temasek, Singapore......etc.

    You can't register a name already used by somebody, so don't worry, if the name being used, ACRA/Bizfile will tell you first before someone does.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  11. #11
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Choosing Biz Names.

    Quote Originally Posted by rajahchindian View Post
    ....however if you are registering with singapore government, that's a different case.
    but why would you? then you must pay tax!
    Where in which country got business don't have to pay tax one?

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    sewage drain/manhole
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: Choosing Biz Names.

    Chose your biz name carefully.

    I am not very sure if one use the registered name under a company, can take action against one... but possible.


  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,922

    Default Re: Choosing Biz Names.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Where in which country got business don't have to pay tax one?
    He was probably referring to the Golden Triangle.

  14. #14

    Smile Re: Choosing Biz Names.

    pay tax only if there is net trade income. not pay tax when one registers a business or have business.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Where in which country got business don't have to pay tax one?
    Last edited by reachme2003; 12th April 2009 at 08:39 PM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, western area
    Posts
    5,337

    Default Re: Choosing Biz Names.

    Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003 View Post
    pay tax only if there is trade income. not pay tax when one registers a business or have business.
    is there a minimum amount before you need to start declaring?

  16. #16
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Choosing Biz Names.

    Quote Originally Posted by rajahchindian View Post
    well.
    i don't really think i can help you with this.

    i guess what you can do is GOOGLE the name u intend to choose.
    if taken, it MAY pop up in one or two of the articles.

    and let's say after you created it, and someone else have the same..
    i guess you can either go take the trouble to start all over again
    or
    you can just screw it and continue what you were doing.
    ignorance is bliss.

    however if you are registering with singapore government, that's a different case.
    but why would you? then you must pay tax!
    Doing business in Singapore without registering with ACRA is illegal.
    unless you are shooting for FREE or only shooting with illegal stuffs.


    Do I need to Register a Business?

    A person must register a business with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) before carrying on a business in Singapore unless the activity does not come within the definition of a “business”. Please click here for the list of exempted business/entities/individuals.

    Individuals and companies, being "legal people", may set up and own a business firm. A business firm, not being a legal entity, cannot register another business firm. A foreign company also cannot register a business firm unless it has registered itself under the Companies Act.

    Carrying on a business connotes some continuity in the activity carried out. Failure to register is an offence punishable with a fine of up to $5,000, or imprisonment for a term not exceeding twelve months or both. Furthermore, it also results in the rights under any contract being unenforceable by the person who did not register, unless that person applies to the court for relief or permission to enforce such rights.

    It would, therefore, be in the interest of all people carrying on business in Singapore, and who are not exempted from registering, to register with ACRA. We will not hesitate to take action against people who have breached the laws under our purview. Members of the public may provide information on possible breaches to ACRA in writing.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  17. #17
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Choosing Biz Names.

    Quote Originally Posted by sprintist View Post
    is there a minimum amount before you need to start declaring?
    if you are doing part time, just declaring you have additional income from other source.

    if you have already register a business, just declare your trade income.

    for business register under sole-proprietorship, you need to pay medisave to enable you to renew your business, and the amount to pay of medisave is base on your declared trade income.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  18. #18

    Smile Re: Choosing Biz Names.

    i am no tax accountant. consult one.

    Quote Originally Posted by sprintist View Post
    is there a minimum amount before you need to start declaring?

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, western area
    Posts
    5,337

    Default Re: Choosing Biz Names.

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    if you are doing part time, just declaring you have additional income from other source.

    if you have already register a business, just declare your trade income.

    for business register under sole-proprietorship, you need to pay medisave to enable you to renew your business, and the amount to pay of medisave is base on your declared trade income.
    ah thanks!

  20. #20

    Default Re: Choosing Biz Names.

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    if you are doing part time, just declaring you have additional income from other source.

    if you have already register a business, just declare your trade income.

    for business register under sole-proprietorship, you need to pay medisave to enable you to renew your business, and the amount to pay of medisave is base on your declared trade income.
    this guy is sure in the biz.
    and also have all your declared accounts certified. keep a lot of filing of all receipts, purchase and expenses,insurance, transport, rentals,phone bills, utilities bills, assistants, models fees, etc. IRAS like to pounce on those that evade taxes for a period of 5 - 10 years. So that they thought they could/had get away unnoticed, but never knew that they had been tacked with tracking device.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •