2 0.53%
  • Panasonic

3 0.79%
  • Others, Pls post the brand here

45 11.84%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Which rechargeable battery?

Default Re: Which rechargeable battery?

any lobang on where to get a set of Eneloop 4xAA batteries + 2hr quick charger?

Hey guys, I got a question about the eneloops.. Are they safe to recharge even though their power is still pretty much there? I got the habit of charging my batteries often even though after slight usage.. Wondering if it's safe to do that.. Will appreciate any replies to this! Thanks in advance..

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
    any lobang on where to get a set of Eneloop 4xAA batteries + 2hr quick charger?
    check out sgcamerastore i bought mine at $42

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyjayy View Post
    Hey guys, I got a question about the eneloops.. Are they safe to recharge even though their power is still pretty much there? I got the habit of charging my batteries often even though after slight usage.. Wondering if it's safe to do that.. Will appreciate any replies to this! Thanks in advance..

Cheers!

by doing so it cut short the life of the battery

Really? Even for niMh batteries? Oh man. Had no idea.. Thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by dis28 View Post
    thanks!

For niMH, and niCD's, let it discharge before you re-charge them.
    But for Li-ion's, you can charge them anytime and the main issue is NOT to let them run flat.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Eneloop batteries are Ni-MH right?

Quote Originally Posted by cheesy
    Eneloop batteries are Ni-MH right?
    Yes they are

sanyo eneloop the best battery for now... iver been using this battery for 2years now... highly recommended

Quote Originally Posted by dis28

This is different from the two hour super quick charger which charges 4 2000mah enelope in 2 hours...this one charges in 4 hours!

There is another super quick charger which charges 4 in 2 hours.

Two hour chargers shorten the life of your batteries. Get one that is adjustable. Charge at the lowest setting when you can and only use the highest setting as a last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by neech7
    Two hour chargers shorten the life of your batteries. Get one that is adjustable. Charge at the lowest setting when you can and only use the highest setting as a last resort.
    Noted and thanks for the advice. But sometimes can't afford to wait too long...using multiple flashes for strobing so need quick charge.

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    For niMH, and niCD's, let it discharge before you re-charge them.
    But for Li-ion's, you can charge them anytime and the main issue is NOT to let them run flat.
    Sorry to say this is a commonly held myth because it has no scientific merit.If you want to know the facts there is a book about rechargable batteries
    and can be bought at Tech Publishing in basement of Sim Lim Tower for $19 before GST.In it has circuits to build DIY chargers.

The fact is that if you discharge to zero or leave them unattended for long periods of time eg. months it will naturally loose charge and can reach a level
    that is too low for it to be recharged thereby rendering them useless.It has a memory effect for eg. my handphone whenever it is one bar down I start recharging,so the battery remembers a higher voltage level.It is like your memory constant practice and you won't have memory loss like elderly people.

Quote Originally Posted by one eye jack

Sorry to say this is a commonly held myth because it has no scientific merit.If you want to know the facts there is a book about rechargable batteries
    and can be bought at Tech Publishing in basement of Sim Lim Tower for $19 before GST.In it has circuits to build DIY chargers.

The fact is that if you discharge to zero or leave them unattended for long periods of time eg. months it will naturally loose charge and can reach a level
    that is too low for it to be recharged thereby rendering them useless.It has a memory effect for eg. my handphone whenever it is one bar down I start recharging,so the battery remembers a higher voltage level.It is like your memory constant practice and you won't have memory loss like elderly people.
    So can I recharge nimh batteries as and when I like? Like if it has 50% charge left, will recharging reduces it battery live?
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    So can I recharge nimh batteries as and when I like? Like if it has 50% charge left, will recharging reduces it battery live?
    In my opinion based on the book waiting until 50% is a bit low but in the course of usage in camera or flash unit cannot be avoided,yes if you can get to wall
    outlet.Best to carry spares.I don't know if constant recharging will reduce battery life but it sure will prolong it.All batteries have a shelf life but the point is if you
    let it go too low as I mention before it has a memory effect ,then it is more likely to remember the low voltage rather then the high operating voltage.Just like
    "brain washing".Which would you prefer,battery telling itself it's low and not usable or normal operating condition.Cheers.

I think don't have to worry too much...just charge if u have to. Better to have a fully charged battery rather than to run out of battery during the shoot. Anyway if spoilt just replace with new ones. They are not too expensive.

If I have the choice, I would I want charge it the night before a shoot, regardless of the amt of charge left on the batteries just to be sure that it will be full the next day. Can I confirm this will not damage normal nimh AA batteries?

I am thinking to buy the MAHA CH801C (I think that's the model name) charger. Heard and seen a lot of good reviews on it. Would you guys recommend this?

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    If I have the choice, I would I want charge it the night before a shoot, regardless of the amt of charge left on the batteries just to be sure that it will be full the next day. Can I confirm this will not damage normal nimh AA batteries?

I am thinking to buy the MAHA CH801C (I think that's the model name) charger. Heard and seen a lot of good reviews on it. Would you guys recommend this?
    I thought you understood my post.Yes regardless of charge left, no damage but don't use until very low to recharge as my above post.From what I see at east gear site 801c is a 8 pc. AA battery charger,nothing special,it has option to select 1 hr. or 2hr. charging.In most cases they use trickle charge meaning they pulse small amounts of current per timeframe,in general you see most fast chargers use 2 hr. time but I think manufacturer want to cheat a bit and make charger look special.Common sense tells you if you want to shorten time you have to whack higher current and this may shorten battery life but if in an urgent situation like
    same day you want to use it and you can recuperate from your earnings from the shoot, then go ahead.But I would recommend to use standard 2hr. charge as to not stress the batteries.
    Last edited by one eye jack; 19th June 2011 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by one eye jack

I thought you understood my post.Yes regardless of charge left, no damage but don't use until very low to recharge as my above post.From what I see at east gear site 801c is a 8 pc. AA battery charger,nothing special,it has option to select 1 hr. or 2hr. charging.In most cases they use trickle charge meaning they pulse small amounts of current per timeframe,in general you see most fast chargers use 2 hr. time but I think manufacturer want to cheat a bit and make charger look special.Common sense tells you if you want to shorten time you have to whack higher current and this may shorten battery life but if in an urgent situation like
    same day you want to use it and you can recuperate from your earnings from the shoot, then go ahead.But I would recommend to use standard 2hr. charge as to not stress the batteries.
    Thanks for the final explanation. It eases my worries.
    There are 2 type of 8 PC charger. Was contemplating betw which to buy. Thanks for the clear up on that too

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast