Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Selling a single photo to a design agency. Wut should be the going rate?

Default Re: Selling a single photo to a design agency. Wut should be the going rate?

property release is a different story. It's only needed if the user would want to use the picture in a commercial context, where you would be taking a 'free ride' on someone else's product/brand/building (lots of them in the picture - so it would mean tons of forms to be signed - impossible in this particular case).

If the picture in question is used in an editorial context (i.e., not advertising another product) - normally no property release is needed.

BTW, same would apply for all the faces/people - you would need a model release.

I hope the design firm who wants to license the picture from you - knows that. Otherwise better confirm how they want to use the picture

Default Re: Selling a single photo to a design agency. Wut should be the going rate?

wow... all those people?.. even when they are barely recognizable? :/

i find this an intresting learning thread hope to get more from this. Good luck to the TS and let us know what happens if possible

Quote Originally Posted by kumagelo View Post
    wow... all those people?.. even when they are barely recognizable? :/

i find this an intresting learning thread hope to get more from this. Good luck to the TS and let us know what happens if possible
    the point is not whether you can recognize them. But whether they could recognize themselves; which is a much higher hurdle. And don't forget we don't look at the full size picture.

Besides that, the many recognizable brands are an even bigger issue

I would suggest not to sell them any copyright. This is very important for your future income stream.

Offer them the rights to use for print, & what ever they ask for for a one year period renewable subject to payment of $XXX for another year or $XXX for another 2 years. There will be some pain in selling a joint copyright - okay in my opinion that is a slow con on you - if the agency hold joint copyright then they will start to use this in other project claiming that it is their right as joint owner. The term has some slippery connotations.

About how much - lets put it this way how difficult would it be to reproduce this. My guess is ask for at least $1500 but how much you get depends on how bad is their need.

Quote Originally Posted by JacePhoto View Post

If 20 K, they can just get someone to snap the picture for $200 and it belongs to them. Period.
    i agree.

the building is always there for anyone to shoot.
    Taoism 你知[道]吗?http://yeobt.multiply.com
    Read With An Open Mind And Surely You Will Be Benefited.

Eh? Whatever happen to "THE MOMENT" u can't reproduce a moment.... we have to sell that idea. or rather. educate our clients as such.

Quote Originally Posted by yeobt View Post
    i agree.

the building is always there for anyone to shoot.

vince123123
    Guests

Some qns and comments:

1. Is the photo taken in Singapore or outside Singapore?

2. Where is the design agency located? Where do you envisage the choice of law to be?

~~~~~

3. What they mean by "joint copyright" is actually a license. Do not put the term "joint copyright" in your agreement as it is not what they say. Joint copyright is very very different from a license and may potentially restrict your own dealings with the photo in future.

4. If in Singapore, my view is that property releases or model releases are required as there is yet to be any judicial recognition of these concepts. I also recall specific exceptions for copyright infringement in the case of incidental filimings (ie you film a scene and happen to catch something in it).

I have been approached by Getty Images as well for several images. You can read through all the FAQ here, maybe it will help :

http://www.flickr.com/groups/gettyimagescontributors/

They're a good company. I remember Hillary Clinton's team got some from them for her campaign. Very strict, though, on releases, even buildings need releases.

Last edited by clubgrit; 24th April 2009 at 04:20 PM.

Give thanks nice information about this post nice pictures

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12