Thread: Noise reduction and Lightroom

Default Noise reduction and Lightroom

Could I just ask how do you guys incorporate noise reduction software like Noiseware into your Lightroom workflow?

Default Re: Noise reduction and Lightroom

Unless it's a plug-in. You have no choice but

- edit in PS or whatever you like. clone, levels, layers, masks, whatever you want
    - do the noise reduction at the end to the areas that need it. And only to those. Use masks
    - final step sharpen (again you can either do this in PS or LR)

done

Quote Originally Posted by Evilmerlin View Post
    Could I just ask how do you guys incorporate noise reduction software like Noiseware into your Lightroom workflow?
    Look the homepage http://www.imagenomic.com/ - scroll down, there is a link "Lightroom Integration with Droplets". Droplets are predefined actions that you can apply quickly to multiple pictures, it's common in PS. Kind of batch processing.
    A different way could be to use the LR function "Edit in external editor". The image gets exported as TIFF or PSD (you can select), then you edit in any other program and after finishing you re-import into LR. PS is prepared for this, should work with other editors as well but you might lose some functions here and there.

I use Noise Ninja. My method is to export all images out and batch process those images with Noise Ninja in Photoshop. Not much control about areas but if the pics are not a lot and you got the time, you can do the edit in photoshop trick.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    I use Noise Ninja. My method is to export all images out and batch process those images with Noise Ninja in Photoshop. Not much control about areas but if the pics are not a lot and you got the time, you can do the edit in photoshop trick.
    then duplicate the layer, run on the upper layer, add a mask, and paint through where you need the noise reduction, e.g., like the sky. NEVER - run noise reduction on the whole picture

So basically, you do all your neccessary edits in Lightroom, export to CS3 (in my case anyway) for noise reduction and final sharpening. Correct?

@Octarine, Yeah I saw that but wasn't too sure how it worked though. After reading it a little and experimenting some, I kinda figured it out but wasn't wondering if there was a method which didn't involve the creation of a brand new file.

Quote Originally Posted by btrenkel View Post
    then duplicate the layer, run on the upper layer, add a mask, and paint through where you need the noise reduction, e.g., like the sky.NEVER - run noise reduction on the whole picture
    Depends on a lot of variables. Try doing it to few hundreds events pics per shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    Depends on a lot of variables. Try doing it to few hundreds events pics per shoot.
    Sounds like investing in a good new camera plus some lights, would have saved you from from working overtime?

Quote Originally Posted by btrenkel View Post
    Sounds like investing in a good new camera plus some lights, would have saved you from from working overtime?
    Can't afford full frame, but have standard stuff like D300, 2.8 zooms, SB800, etc, but I still run my NR.

Running as an automated action in photoshop, it took about 30 mins for about 300 pictures, I just run the process and go watch TV, bath and bomb the toilet, then return to the computer and its done!

Its more like a good NR program saved me the expense of using full frame. Of course will prefer FF if $$$ permits!