Thread: Hijack!

Default Hijack!

Hey all!

Hope you are well!

I have recently taken some pre-wedding pics for my friends who are getting married in Sept this year.

What would your response be when u handed the pics to your friends and they start to edit the pics (that you have taken and retouched them using Lightroom (for example)) using another photo editing software (such as Photoshop) and changed the style totally?

Wouldnt you feel hurt to see that your pics are being edited to something that is not your style anymore?

Can I hear some response out there? :-)

Cheers.

Default Re: Hijack!

They paid you? For me they can do whatever with it after they've paid me whatever suits them

Quote Originally Posted by Little Scarecrow View Post
    Hey all!

Hope you are well!

I have recently taken some pre-wedding pics for my friends who are getting married in Sept this year.

What would your response be when u handed the pics to your friends and they start to edit the pics (that you have taken and retouched them using Lightroom (for example)) using another photo editing software (such as Photoshop) and changed the style totally?

Wouldnt you feel hurt to see that your pics are being edited to something that is not your style anymore?

Can I hear some response out there? :-)

Cheers.
    wow....

i take that your pride is hurt because someone did that ?

its common actually. i've personally seen my works being manipulated before too.

If they hired me as an artist, yes, I will get angry.

If they hired me as a photographer, no i will not be.

If they take me as friend and request for me to keep a record of the wedding for them by taking pictures of their wedding, then I find that there is no problem.

Going back to first point(artist)..... If they do my pictures justice by doing great PP works(better than mine), I seriously don't mind and might even thank them.

From third party point of view, no issues about it. It's their wedding and they have the rights to decide what kind of style they want to keep as their future memories.

Hey all,

thanks for your responses..

Hmmm..no..i am not being paid..haha..

maybe its just me ...being pyschologically distracted...hahaha..

coz i take photography as an expression of art and it exudes my own style..hmm..thats y it hurts me to see the pics changing from an apple to a custard apple (for example) ...haha..

ok..maybe i shouldnt be so petty.. :-)

ethically they should have asked. but like common sense, ethics is on a decline in the recent years.
    Last edited by Clown; 10th April 2009 at 05:40 PM.
    sigh.

Just be happy that your friends thought u are good enough to be their photographer. Also be happy that your friends "modified" your pictures to turn them into something that they will treasure forever, whatever the style may be.

Life is complex enough without having to fret over things like this ..

on hindsight, i think it'll be good to have some photoshop session with ur friends so it'll end up as a collaborated work instead of resulting in sour feelings.
    sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Scarecrow View Post
    Hey all,

thanks for your responses..

Hmmm..no..i am not being paid..haha..

maybe its just me ...being pyschologically distracted...hahaha..

coz i take photography as an expression of art and it exudes my own style..hmm..thats y it hurts me to see the pics changing from an apple to a custard apple (for example) ...haha..

ok..maybe i shouldnt be so petty.. :-)
    Art and style is very personal, they may not like your 'style', but that doesn't mean it is bad, it is just not their forte perhaps? Art or 'style' is just personal.......don't feel hurt......

HS

you can ask them if they want the raw file? they are your friend after all and they may be very happy to see the raw file especially if they know what they are doing. You might learn a lesson or two perhaps too from how they do the editing if they did their own and if their result is better than yours.

wow! Awesome support here! Thanks, guys. I shall learn how to manage my EQ and perhaps artistic personality..hahaha...

I am just confused before..but after reading all the posts here, i feel better now..I guess I have done my best to take their pics, its really up to them if they like it or not..

Also, its a delimma between taking pics that we like and to the client's liking..For example, there may be times where you like a picture but they might not like it (vice versa)..

Anyhow, thanks guys.. :-)