Thread: A mass CS email to camera makers anyone ?

Lightbulb A mass CS email to camera makers anyone ?

Hi all,

Many here often discuss new P&S cameras and how they have improved in various ways,

LX3 for example, the new TZ7, the F200EXR etc,etc...

I believe that some improvements come from writings by such reviewers as Dpreview and a few others.

Why don't they get a word or two from us ...we actually buy them and use them

As people that are serious about our cameras (which is why we are here), why don't we put an email together.

With in reason, put together the things that are already out there in various cameras, into a "we want" list.

One of us drafts up an email with our wants (within reason) and we all copy it, then we all email it to the camera companies.

Just a thought

Fuji sensor ability,
    Panasonic wide f2-f2.8 lens
    HDMI
    Weather proof (if zoom such as 10x) rather than waterproof.

etc

Any one care to input to the idea ???

Cheers
    Last edited by Pablo; 9th April 2009 at 08:56 PM.
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Default Re: A mass CS email to camera makers anyone ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    Hi all,

Many here often discuss new P&S cameras and how they have improved in various ways,

LX3 for example, the new TZ7, the F200EXR etc,etc...

I believe that some improvements come from writings by such reviewers as Dpreview and a few others.

Why don't they get a word or two from us ...we actually buy them and use them

As people that are serious about our cameras (which is why we are here), why don't we put an email together.

With in reason, put together the things that are already out there in various cameras, into a "we want" list.

One of us drafts up an email with our wants (within reason) and we all copy it, then we all email it to the camera companies.

Just a thought

Fuji sensor ability,
    Panasonic wide f2-f2.8 lens
    HDMI
    Weather proof (if zoom such as 10x) rather than waterproof.

etc

Any one care to input to the idea ???

Cheers
    you think too much...
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    you think too much...
    Damn, shot down in the first post

Actually, you might change the word "think" with "drink"

Cheers

I reckon if such a thing is going to happen, most probably u r gonna send the same list of specs to all the different manufacturers?

If, that's the case, I think they never ever do it. For a very simpe reason. If every camera maker comes up with products to the exact same specs, then what competitive advantage do they have over the other? No, nothing at all!

It will only lead to a cut throat price war then. Camera manufacturers know what consumers want(the product engineers are consumers too after working hours), but they are reluctant to do it. They would rather everyone take a share of the pie than risk all closing down together becoz of price wars....

Quote Originally Posted by evo-lution View Post
    I reckon if such a thing is going to happen, most probably u r gonna send the same list of specs to all the different manufacturers?

If, that's the case, I think they never ever do it. For a very simpe reason. If every camera maker comes up with products to the exact same specs, then what competitive advantage do they have over the other? No, nothing at all!

It will only lead to a cut throat price war then. Camera manufacturers know what consumers want(the product engineers are consumers too after working hours), but they are reluctant to do it. They would rather everyone take a share of the pie than risk all closing down together becoz of price wars....
    I think of it differently actually.

Yes, send all the P&S manufacturers the email !

Do I think that any of them are going to go straight out and put all the requests into one camera ?

Nope ....

But it will help lead each of them towards reaching our goals, our wants for a good camera.

We (as camera users) have a good idea (from what we see) what features we want.

How many of us have let them know about it up till now ?

How much of their development is simply guided by trends (market research).

An example....

Olympus created the underwater (mju720) P&S camera, the others watched it progress...

Who now makes them also ? ..... Canon, Panasonic etc ....

Has their watching the market-trend moved toward them making a better featured camera for those that simply want to take better quality photo's ?

They need to hear from us. Of the camera users here, what percentage want to take photo's in their swimming pool ?

Lets get them all moving toward quality photography rather than tricks.

Cheers

Can they make full frame cameras cheaper? Say under A$500.

I want one but cannot afford one.

in time, my friend.... in time....
    maybe 2020, but it'll come.
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Can they make full frame cameras cheaper? Say under A$500.

I want one but cannot afford one.
    Actually I think they can. But they r not willing to...... They wanna profit skimming here.... I believed they have already recouped their R&D cost already.... And at that price, what they need to do is simply put that sensor into a 1000D body without all the magnesium alloy thingy....

Maybe when they come up with new technology called "double frame" then the full frame sensors will find their way towards entry level cameras....

Anyway, sion u in australia arh? why u quote in Aust dollars one

Quote Originally Posted by evo-lution View Post
    Anyway, sion u in australia arh? why u quote in Aust dollars one
    Because all my money is in A$.

Do camera makers listen?

Moving on, we've been looking at the feedback since the G1 was announced, and we've got a lot of questions from our community, some of which we'd like to cover here.
    First up; there's a lot of demand for a smaller Micro Four Thirds body - more 'rangefinder' style than faux DSLR. It's not really a question, it's more just telling you what they want. But do you have any comment?

(mock surprise) I didn't hear anything about such a request? This is news to me!
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0903/09...cinterview.asp

Maybe? Maybe not?

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Because all my money is in A$.
    Aiyah, no diff anyway, now exchange rate is abt 1to1

we should appeal to the camera companies to tell them to make real improvements, instead of using what is known as "pixie dusting", i.e. throw in some useless feature that you use once in the camera's lifetime, and giving it some COOL NEW FANGLED name.