Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Having Tim Sum one Saturday Morning.....

Default Re: Having Tim Sum one Saturday Morning.....

Quote Originally Posted by Xtol19 View Post
    Think the moral high horse is preventing people from seeing the fundamentals.
    Strange. Coz that's exactly what the Confederates said about those darn Yankees.

i believe in treating other like how you want others to treat you.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

To me, it's like modern slavery where you paid someone cheaply and expect them to do all the stuffs that you don't like, on top of that being fed with cheap meals

But I do salute those regards them as part of their family, I have a collegue whom brought her maid along on their oversea's tour....although you can say partially is to look after their kids when they are on tour...but I still feel it's some kind of incentive for being able to play a part in the family

u see, there is taking care of kids when parent out working, and there is loving care for the kids when parents out working.

like i mentioned, if one thinks their maid will not reciprocate the kindness, i wonder why they still using that maid.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Does your CEO invite you to fly first class with him?
    Depands, if I'm the CEO's PA, I'll at least fly Business Class if not sitting next to him.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Well, there are too many people on moral high horses here. The fact is that maids are servants, like drivers, gardeners, etc.
    While one should not look down on them, is there anything wrong with asking the maid to wait outside if one has provided adequate food and refreshment for her? It's your choice if you want to have your maid eat abalone and shark's fin at your $8,000 table in a top Chinese restaurant, but why do you have to comment on others who don't want to? Can't we respect their choices?

As mentioned, CEO's do not have their drivers with them at their clubs for lunch, the drivers wait outside and they do not starve. Are all CEO's who do so morally wrong?

And similarly, if you and your CEO go on a business trip, he flies first class, and you fly economy-- exactly as company policy states-- is there anything wrong?
    You treat the relationshp between a maid and her employer like a CEO and his driver while others prefer a closer gap or even the same ie; eating together, I wounder who is the one on a high horse?
    Last edited by yqt; 13th April 2009 at 05:58 PM.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Quote Originally Posted by Gunbucker View Post
    I can't believe I'm reading this.

At this day and age, what FUNDAMENTAL are you talking about???

Servants?? Next time you take your maid outside, try telling the passerby that this is your servant. You'll be regarded as a Fundamentalist, that's for sure.

When you bring someone into your home, regardless of how much you do or don't pay, to look after your family, that person becomes a part of your family and needed to be treated as such. Can't accept that? Get a part-time maid instead.
    hmmm...i'm sure the queen of england is a fundamentalist then, since she got many many servants.
    おれのflickrださ

Sometimes, humans need to learn to be humans. Just because, some one whom you have employed from Overseas, doesn't deserve any less respect than you or I.

Singaporeans feel that they have the upper hand as these foreign Domestic Helpers are from overseas and they don't know much people around here. So none would bother to complain till some other nosy neighbour finds out how you have been treating these Domestic helpers.

I prefer to use the term Domestic helpers, rather than maids. I've had domestic helpers in my house since i was young, and i never treated them any different. Infact my parents treated them as their own sibling. We shared the same food. Personal preference aside. We never saw the domestic helper as a 3rd person.

We should never take someone for granted, just because the job they do is not on par to what you do. A job is a job. There's no such thing as a lowly job. Without them, many Singaporeans will suffer. Something that we don't realize till today.

Right from the Road Cleanliness Crew to the Refuse Collector, most of them are made out of foreigners.

In case some who don't understand the terms used above. Road Cleanliness Crew refers to road sweepers and the Refuse Collectors refer to the garbage collectors who collect our rubbish. Otherwise, the Singaporean easy way of calling them would be "Bangla"

There are the right terms out there to describe one's job, rather than calling them, garbage man, road sweeper, and the coveted term "Bangla".

It wouldn't be nice if you were a manager and some foreign guy talking to his friend calls you by the term, China, India or even Malaysia. These terms refer to your country, but not you. So the same applies to the foreign workers as well.

I don't believe we don't call Australians, or Americans in Singapore, "Whites" or so. That kind of term is only used in America. Whites, Blacks and all the rubbish they can think of.

I would agree that not every foreign worker coming here is a 100% goody shoes. Some are crooks and come here to find trouble.

Singaporeans need to learn, that people from less developed countries are still humans. They do have feelings. And if you were to go to their country some day. You'll be surprised that they do not treat you like how you had treated them back her. Infact they treat you so well, that one does not even deserve such kinds of treatment.

I hope i had not offended anyone, but just to show my point that everyone is equal. Be it if you are from Australia, China, India, Bangladesh. We are all humans. The blood running below our skins are of the same colour.

So i ask of everyone in a humble manner. Treat a human being as one. And not otherwise.

GMAN
    Last edited by Ninja23XX; 13th April 2009 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shiruikage View Post
    hmmm...i'm sure the queen of england is a fundamentalist then, since she got many many servants.
    And you can too. Just don't forget to bring the scepter and crown next time you go out with your servant, and insist on being called "Your Majesty". Don't settle for anything less.

true...in an ideal world, that is how it could be everywhere. but unfortunately, this is not an ideal world. there are ppl who treat domestic helpers as family. that's fine. there are many who treat domestic helpers as maids. they are not wrong too; morally or otherwise. and unfortunately there are also some who treat domestic helpers like slaves; hence the maid abuse cases u read in the paper.

my point is, ppl do the things they do and treat ppl the way they do becoz they are simply human. judging them by one's own moral standard is both arrogant and vain. it's also true that we don abide criminal behavior, but unless we are the law, it's best we refer it to the relevant authority.

as for this maid waiting outside thing, it's the employer's 'cup of tea' so to speak, and who are we to judge him right or wrong. rite?
    おれのflickrださ

And you can too. Just don't forget to bring the scepter and crown next time you go out with your servant, and insist on being called "Your Majesty". Don't settle for anything less.
    lol...if i'm the king or (gasp queen!), i'll make sure everyone kow tow me when i pass...hmmm...but then, i'll have to be in a period drama lor.
    おれのflickrださ

Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    To me there are more than one basics..

1. Master & Slave relationship
    2. Master & servant relationship
    3. Employer & employee relationship
    4. Employer & friend relationship
    5. Employer & member of the family relationship

The one you choose determine the fundamentals.
    Those are not the fundamentals.
    I can't believe I'm reading this.

At this day and age, what FUNDAMENTAL are you talking about???

Servants?? Next time you take your maid outside, try telling the passerby that this is your servant. You'll be regarded as a Fundamentalist, that's for sure.

When you bring someone into your home, regardless of how much you do or don't pay, to look after your family, that person becomes a part of your family and needed to be treated as such. Can't accept that? Get a part-time maid instead.
    Everyone has choice. Yours differ from mine.

It is situational. It changes with time.. it changes when society changes, it changes when values change.. it is dynamic

Quote Originally Posted by voldisinarta View Post
    Good boss In his private travel, my boss fly Business, but he always fly economy with me if we travel together.

We need more people with this mindset...

Agree!

Actually it's a blessing that we can treat our maid with good meals.

We're not supposed to look down on them... they are humans just like you and me.
    Then we should not even think of them as a maid..........but as a friend whom you trust.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    u see, there is taking care of kids when parent out working, and there is loving care for the kids when parents out working.

like i mentioned, if one thinks their maid will not reciprocate the kindness, i wonder why they still using that maid.
    Agreed and disagreed..... some maids take advantage.

true...in an ideal world, that is how it could be everywhere. but unfortunately, this is not an ideal world. there are ppl who treat domestic helpers as family. that's fine. there are many who treat domestic helpers as maids. they are not wrong too; morally or otherwise. and unfortunately there are also some who treat domestic helpers like slaves; hence the maid abuse cases u read in the paper.

my point is, ppl do the things they do and treat ppl the way they do becoz they are simply human. judging them by one's own moral standard is both arrogant and vain. it's also true that we don abide criminal behavior, but unless we are the law, it's best we refer it to the relevant authority.

as for this maid waiting outside thing, it's the employer's 'cup of tea' so to speak, and who are we to judge him right or wrong. rite?

"Prerogative" is the word you're searching for. Sure it is. It's "Class Showing Stuff". Some have better class, some don't. It's all but human

"Prerogative" is the word you're searching for. Sure it is. It's "Class Showing Stuff". Some have better class, some don't. It's all but human
    yes it is, yes it is.
    おれのflickrださ

Quote Originally Posted by phoakm View Post
    I will still treat my maid for the meals, no matter how costly it is, because she has done great deeds in helping my house chores, cooking and taking care of my handicapped mum. I consider her as a friend, rather than maid.
    Awww... so sweet, she must be a good maid.

Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    maybe the maid is muslim and cannot eat pork? then she go in and see them eat also senseless right?
    This is true also, indonesian maids...

At the worst, the relationship between the maid and sir should be:

Employer and Employee

One should accord her all the benefits and any extras are considered bonus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast