Thread: Do we need to seek permission for wedding shoot in Hong Kong?

Default Do we need to seek permission for wedding shoot in Hong Kong?

Hi All,

I will be doing a photoshoot for a honeymoon couple in May in Bridal Costumes in Hong Kong.
    Can anyone advise if we need to get any permit to shoot them in Hong Kong?
    Appreciate someone here can advise.
    Thanks.

Default Re: Do we need to seek permission for wedding shoot in Hong Kong?

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingIdol View Post
    Hi All,

I will be doing a photoshoot for a honeymoon couple in May in Bridal Costumes in Hong Kong.
    Thanks.

Why would you need a permit if the shoot is in public places?

Maybe only must pay permit to the local gangs

Hi All,

Thanks.

How much gear will there be and will you be shooting in those busy streets? If it is just the couple with you and your assistant carrying mobile reflectors, there is no need for any license. However, if you have large amount of gears and is blocking half the street and as a result attracted a lot of bystanders, then the police might interfere.

If you shoot at the more remote places, I don't think you need to worry at all.

vince123123
    Guests

Best to check with someone well versed in HK law or at least someone who has stayed there a long time (hopefully he heard something). THe majority of people here in CS have trouble even grasping SG law, much less the laws of other countries

Not sure about the Hong Kong law, but the common practise is, many ppl shoot wedding couples in Hong Kong on popular places with no problem, example TST area facing harbour view, up in the Victoria Peak, along the Hong Kong island southern beaches. The Hong Kong shopping malls security guards behave almost same as Singapore - ie they will chase u out upon seeing u, and even some gardens/parks are private properties they only allow u to go inside walk but not allow u to take photos inside.

vince123123
    Guests

Hehe, coming from a Hong Kong-er (ex Hk-er?), I think this can be relied on (but still at your own risk hor!).

Quote Originally Posted by Astin View Post
    Not sure about the Hong Kong law, but the common practise is, many ppl shoot wedding couples in Hong Kong on popular places with no problem, example TST area facing harbour view, up in the Victoria Peak, along the Hong Kong island southern beaches. The Hong Kong shopping malls security guards behave almost same as Singapore - ie they will chase u out upon seeing u, and even some gardens/parks are private properties they only allow u to go inside walk but not allow u to take photos inside.

Hi All,

Thanks.

Image 4,6,7 and 8 were done right in front of the HSBC HQ building, no one hassled us.

http://www.pbase.com/deadpoetphotography/ashley

The police actually came by, and told us to be careful, and not get run over by anything.

Image 5 was inside HSBC, and the security was not happy

This was shot on top of IFC, http://www.pbase.com/deadpoetphotography/image/74566134, security came by, told us not to block anything, but let us shoot.

On the street, never had much problem in HK.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Best to check with someone well versed in HK law or at least someone who has stayed there a long time (hopefully he heard something). THe majority of people here in CS have trouble even grasping SG law, much less the laws of other countries
    I was from HK and move here 10 years ago. The comments that I made was based on my 40+ years experience living in HK. Of course, I am not well versed in HK law but just a layman's general observation. Wedding shoots in HK is very common and basically you can find them everywhere. Generally, no body bothers you if you are shooting at the public places.

As I mentioned, police won't bother you either unless you have a lot of gears and create a scene by attracting a lot of bystanders.

One more thing: about the gangsters - It is just the movie. Don't believe all you see in the movies...
    Last edited by CS TAN; 9th April 2009 at 05:25 PM.

Casual photo taking is ok. Professional photographers working with full sets of gear is a different matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Image 4,6,7 and 8 were done right in front of the HSBC HQ building, no one hassled us.

http://www.pbase.com/deadpoetphotography/ashley

The police actually came by, and told us to be careful, and not get run over by anything.

Image 5 was inside HSBC, and the security was not happy

This was shot on top of IFC, http://www.pbase.com/deadpoetphotography/image/74566134, security came by, told us not to block anything, but let us shoot.

On the street, never had much problem in HK.
    U shot the tram photo on sundays lah....

vince123123
    Guests

Oh don't worry, my comment wasn't directed to you at all

Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    I was from HK and move here 10 years ago. The comments that I made was based on my 40+ years experience living in HK. Of course, I am not well versed in HK law but just a layman's general observation. Wedding shoots in HK is very common and basically you can find them everywhere. Generally, no body bothers you if you are shooting at the public places.

As I mentioned, police won't bother you either unless you have a lot of gears and create a scene by attracting a lot of bystanders.

One more thing: about the gangsters - It is just the movie. Don't believe all you see in the movies...

U shot the tram photo on sundays lah....
    Sunday morning.

You will be surprise, how the crowd will disperse, when you point a big lens at them.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    Casual photo taking is ok. Professional photographers working with full sets of gear is a different matter.
    Private property is a total different set of problems. But in public space, my experience in HK was, as long as you are not blocking the right of way, and you are not endangering anyone, including yourself, the law leaves you alone.

The shoot in front of HSBC, we had me and another photographer, stylist, MUA, PA and the model. We also had a smile pile of gears.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Hi All,

Sorry for not being able to respond to all your replies...

Thanks All for the feedbacks and points noted to some of the area such as private properties...

For me, I wont be carrying any reflector, so juz my standard necessities (lenses, flash, body & tripod) and it will be juz me, 1 MUA, 1 Stylist + the couples...

Well, hopefully can get some additional gears in HKG coz heard price there is cheaper than in SG...

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Oh don't worry, my comment wasn't directed to you at all
    I am not taken it as such. From your other posts and replies, I know you have been trying to educate the forumers on some of the legal aspects that is related to photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Private property is a total different set of problems. But in public space, my experience in HK was, as long as you are not blocking the right of way, and you are not endangering anyone, including yourself, the law leaves you alone.

The shoot in front of HSBC, we had me and another photographer, stylist, MUA, PA and the model. We also had a smile pile of gears.
    This is also my experience. As long as you don't bother anyone. They would not bother you either.