Thread: Wedding Dinner Table Lens??

Default Wedding Dinner Table Lens??

I'm using a 10D with a 17-40L to take most of my Wedding dinner table shots. If I were to get a backup lens, which would it be? 24-85?

with 10D's cropping factor, anything less than your present 17mm might not be wide enough. You might want to consider getting a film SLR as backup with a wideangle lens like 24-85, 24mm, 20mm, or 19-35 etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan109
    I'm using a 10D with a 17-40L to take most of my Wedding dinner table shots. If I were to get a backup lens, which would it be? 24-85?

U need at least 24mm after factoring in the crop factor in the DSLR. Anything larger and if the restaurant is crowded, u'll be having a hard time getting all the people in.

get the sigma 15-30mm. very wide and very good images too.

i second meng. You don't need a back lens, a backup body is a better idea. Anyway, lenses don't 'spoil' suddenly unless dropped or hit.

i good backup lens would be a 50mm or 85mm prime. Good for flashless low light candids. If you can change lens fast enough.

10D + 17-40L should be good enuff for dinner table shots unless the place is extremely small ...
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

getting a 2nd hand film body and wide angle prime (maybe sigma's 20mm or 24mm prime) will definately be cheaper and more logical for a backup then spend so much on an ultra wide for your 10D

17mm is more than enough, I used a 19mm before and actually found it a little 'too wide' and had to zoom a bit. 24mm should do just fine unless the place is really cramped.

Quote Originally Posted by TME
    U need at least 24mm after factoring in the crop factor in the DSLR. Anything larger and if the restaurant is crowded, u'll be having a hard time getting all the people in.
    The best way is still, to have proper ushering and crowd control. There is only so much lens can do. The wider you go, you will end up with guests sitting at the sides been too big-sized, and the guests + couple at the centre of photo being too small. Overall the photo tends to look distorted. And wider the lens, the photo will end up with large space at the top ie ceiling, OR full view of table. And frankly, with half-eaten dish or almost empty dish in the photo, it definitely look ugly.

So the best way is, before I take any wedding dinner event, I'll gather the bridegroom's "brothers" and brief them on how to "arrange" and "move" the guests at a table, so that there are guests standing and guests sitting, "balancing" the whole photo.

But of course, some guests are just very stubborn, and that's when we, professional photographer comes in.. And I seldem goes below 28mm (equivalent 35mm film)

Yeah..... arrangement is also important. Might want to get them to stand in 2 rows of 5 lor. Like that can fill the frame better since all you want are the people and a little of the background only......

okay after reading all that is said and done....

what about that for film slrs? for wedding dinner table shoots what would be the ideal lens to work with around limited space for movement (with all the tables and chairs) and wide angle to capture everyone in the picture?

Quote Originally Posted by fooey
    okay after reading all that is said and done....

what about that for film slrs? for wedding dinner table shoots what would be the ideal lens to work with around limited space for movement (with all the tables and chairs) and wide angle to capture everyone in the picture?

24-85 or 24-105 or something like that.... best compromise. Unless the place is really very cramp (ask the couple), stick to the 24 zooms...... if really very cramp, get a ultra wide - 19-35 or 17-35mm, and try not to use the widest end.... people at the edge are going to be stretched horizontally and they won't be too happy about that!

28mm equivalent should be enough, even in small halls. I've shot all my weddings with nothing more than a 28-70 on my F100 and never needed to go wider.

Get someone to pre-arrange the guests at your next table while you shoot, and try to aim for something like 2 rows instead of everyone spread out along 1 row - ugly.

Regards
    CK