Thread: Polariser usage

Default Polariser usage

Questions regarding polarisers:
    1. How to identify if a polariser is linear or circular

2. what's the difference in function between a linear and a circular one

3. do i need to turn the polariser when I shoot, either linear or circular

4. does every slr/dslr can use linear or circular polariser

5. i normally have a UV filter permanently on the lens. Do i need to take out the UV filter when I want to put on the polariser

6. I am using a Canon 28-105mm USM lens with hood. When I put on the polariser(2 layer one, 1st layer fixed on lens, 2nd layer turnable), I cannot put on the hood anymore. If i put the hood on first, then put the polariser, it's difficult to fix it on the lens because the upper layer is turnnable. So can i use this polariser with the hood?

Thanks in advance to those who help!

Quote Originally Posted by cloudwalker

2. what's the difference in function between a linear and a circular one

3. do i need to turn the polariser when I shoot, either linear or circular

4. does every slr/dslr can use linear or circular polariser

5. i normally have a UV filter permanently on the lens. Do i need to take out the UV filter when I want to put on the polariser

6. I am using a Canon 28-105mm USM lens with hood. When I put on the polariser(2 layer one, 1st layer fixed on lens, 2nd layer turnable), I cannot put on the hood anymore. If i put the hood on first, then put the polariser, it's difficult to fix it on the lens because the upper layer is turnnable. So can i use this polariser with the hood?

1. You can't tell just by looking, however, most likely it will be written on the ring itself.

2. They are basically the same, except that the alignment of the polarising planes are different. Most of the time we use a circular polariser because, a linear polariser will cut out light either in the vertical or horizontal plane which prevents an AF camera from focusing.

3. Yes. You need to turn in order to get your maximum polarising plane.

4. It's advisable to use only circular polarisers on AF cameras.

5. It's advisable to do so, since every additional piece of glass will lower picture quality, though not really obvious.

6. Never encountered the problem before. The hood shouldn't affect the filter at all.

5. You should esp if you are shooting wide. If you stack your polarizer over your UV filter, vignettign might occur.

6. The use of a hood is to prevent flare and also fall off, with the polarizer you can already prevent that. Like mentioned in pt 5, you don't want to stack.

hi. My polariser has some dust between the 2 lens...anyway to get them out? Can't really separate the 2 lens right?

Tks!

Quote Originally Posted by coke21
    5. You should esp if you are shooting wide. If you stack your polarizer over your UV filter, vignettign might occur.

6. The use of a hood is to prevent flare and also fall off, with the polarizer you can already prevent that. Like mentioned in pt 5, you don't want to stack.
    are you sure about the part about fall off in point 6?

Quote Originally Posted by showtime
    are you sure about the part about fall off in point 6?
    Sorry, for vignetting not fall off

Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic
    1. You can't tell just by looking, however, most likely it will be written on the ring itself.
    I have a tiffen polarizer, the wording on the ring is "TIFFEN 58mm Polarizer USA", is this linear or circular? It's two layer with one turnable.

The view thru the viewfinder is darker when the polariser is on, do i need to adjust the Exposure compensation? eg, to +0.5 or +1.0 ?

I have a tiffen polarizer, the wording on the ring is "TIFFEN 58mm Polarizer USA", is this linear or circular? It's two layer with one turnable.

The view thru the viewfinder is darker when the polariser is on, do i need to adjust the Exposure compensation? eg, to +0.5 or +1.0 ?
    you do not need to compensate...just meter with the filter attached to the lens and that will be enough...

There is no need to compensate for the darker exposure, just meter normally. The polarizer can function as a sort of ND filter.