Thread: Is my i-Case Drybox faulty?

Default Is my i-Case Drybox faulty?

I just bought a i-Case drybox for my lens yesterday but the hygrometer on the box still shows RH at 65% now. I left an extra hygrometer inside the box & it shows 55%.

Do drybox takes much longer to bring the RH down to 30-40+%?? I had read people with the same drybox getting 30% overnight.

The box hygrometer is definately not accurate but I'm more concern about the RH readings inside the box.

Should I bring it back for a 1-to-1 exchange? Oh yes, I did removed the plastic wrapper on the silica gel unit before using. Any advices?

Default Re: Is my i-Case Drybox faulty?

what's the colour of the silica gel in the box? pink or dark blue?

its blue. brand new.

look at getting a pump handle one... i bought one at cathay a while back... pump out the air so the humidity becomes less it works pretty well and their fairly cheap only like $70 i think?

Quote Originally Posted by sodium99 View Post
    its blue. brand new.
    maybe you can try putting a thirsty hippo in to see if it works better. could be the silica gel being too weak, having a damp item (neck strap) inside, faulty hygrometer, leaky box, etc

i don't use that white box of silica gel cos i don't think it's very effective.

$70 for a dry box that have to pump.. might as well top up to get an electric dry-cabi?

It does take some time. If you are in a hurry, just throw in a "Thirsty Hippo", as mentioned by a lot of fellow CSers here.

Quote Originally Posted by rgy1993 View Post
    look at getting a pump handle one... i bought one at cathay a while back... pump out the air so the humidity becomes less it works pretty well and their fairly cheap only like $70 i think?
    wow.. just a crazy thought.. why not try keeping equips inside those 'space / vacuum bags' where you use vacuum cleaner to suck out the air from the airtight bag? Its like shrinkwrapping your lens everytime you store it. how would vacuum storing condition compared to low-humidity storing condition? would it work??
    Last edited by sodium99; 6th April 2009 at 05:46 PM.

is the seal of the box in good condition?

Quote Originally Posted by AhmadH View Post
    is the seal of the box in good condition?
    how do you judge or test if the seal is in good condition?

empty the box, close the lid, and put it into a tub of water. see if any gets into the box? just a suggestion
    eat. drink. shoot