Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: photographing clouds

Default Re: photographing clouds

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    is 18% gray, aka mid tone gray,
    not 18 gray or gray 18, no wonder TS google nothing.
    hmm...I didn't notice that, but still will have google results if use "18 gray" as search-words lah.... Just that it doesn't really resolve the TS's problem.

Blog Entries

what has a CPL got to do with this?

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    why not just come back at a time where the sun is shining on the control tower as well? isn't that the easiest solution?

if in doubt, bracket in 1/3 stops +/- 2 stops in both ways
    one simple way is wait for sunny day, let the sun behind you, shoot at f16 and shutter speed same as your ISO.
    yes it would. assuming i go another country holiday, and time is tight, i wanted the option of taking various types of photos with minimum equipment. i will try all as u good ppl suggested. it's been most helpful.
    おれのflickrださ

it don't? graduated filter will do the trick then?
    おれのflickrださ

cpl isn't going to help much here.

your subject is backlit, you cannot get cloud detail without blowing it out, or you will have tower in silhouette.. think of how the light works, and it will be easier.

nothing whatsoever, i am wondering why everyone is pushing cpl like it is a magic tool,

yes, it saturates colors, yes, it attains things you cannot achieve in post process, but it has nothing to do with the first issue posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Akatsuki View Post
    get a CPL or use the HDR technique. By far the easiest method.
    Circular Polarizing filter does not work here, see there is no blue sky and the direction of sun is not right.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by RyanG View Post
    IMO, post-processing doesn't work to contrast the clouds from the sky. Doesn't have the natural blue. A CPL is the way to go.

Taken before I bought my CPL

Taken after I bought my CPL
    you need to compare the SAME SCENE,

SAME LIGHTING CONDITIONS,

SAME SHOT to come to a proper conclusion, your before shot looks like the clouds weren't blue in the first place, and also light is not falling on your buildings, not like in the second shot!

Quote Originally Posted by shiruikage View Post
    yes it would. assuming i go another country holiday, and time is tight, i wanted the option of taking various types of photos with minimum equipment. i will try all as u good ppl suggested. it's been most helpful.
    A wise sage once said: If you can't change the conditions to suit yourself, you have to change yourself to suit the conditions.

Change your photography subjects based on the conditions loh.

if you want blue sky white cloud like what you see in stock photo, might as well just buy a postcard.

why don't think of some creative ways to compose your shot with the existing lighting condition?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Blog Entries

you can always PS it

btw there is a reflection, taken through a glass window?

Anyway, you can take it in RAW (not always the magic bullet though), doesn't add on to the equipment of travel per se. Just need a bit of PP at the end.

well, if time is tight, then you have to suck thumb, that is what you have to do.. if the light is bad when i go on trips, i just sian, and not shoot, unless i feel that it is really a scene that i have to capture for the sake of capturing. and i would not post the photographs.. but that's me.

if the light is not right, how do you expect it to work? blue skies are not the best subject for everything. think of a graveyard with blue happy skies.. and i think you'll see why it doesn't quite work..

if you want blue sky white cloud like what you see in stock photo, might as well just buy a postcard.

why don't think of some creative ways to compose your shot with the existing lighting condition?
    becoz i don wan to buy something i can at least try to make myself.
    and that is why i try to shoot as much as possible with my packed schedule. sad to say, i'm not that good yet, so, trying to get as much pointers as possible.
    おれのflickrださ

you can always PS it

btw there is a reflection, taken through a glass window?
    yep...shot from a moving train...the one from T3 to T2.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    Anyway, you can take it in RAW (not always the magic bullet though), doesn't add on to the equipment of travel per se. Just need a bit of PP at the end.
    lol...i took all my fotos in RAW. i wanted to take in jpeg but no confidence lor. i read someplace a beginner shoots in raw coz they can ps if they make a mistake, while a master shoot in jpeg becoz they got everything rite in-camera. true or not leh?
    おれのflickrださ

lol...i took all my fotos in RAW. i wanted to take in jpeg but no confidence lor. i read someplace a beginner shoots in raw coz they can ps if they make a mistake, while a master shoot in jpeg becoz they got everything rite in-camera. true or not leh?
    beginner or master, both can shoot in jpg or raw, it boils down to a matter of personal preference.

raw versus jpg is just a matter of format.

you might as well say that a master chef will use a wooden plate to serve his food because he has confidence in the strength of his cooking, and a beginner chef will use an ornate plate.. but fact is fact, no one cares for anything save the cooking.

yep...shot from a moving train...the one from T3 to T2.

RAW vs Jpeg is a whole new (or old) debate altogether. To put it simply, RAW will give you more allowance to work with in PP. But if basic stuff like composition is bad...RAW can't do much.
    Last edited by ahbian; 5th April 2009 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    beginner or master, both can shoot in jpg or raw, it boils down to a matter of personal preference.

you might as well say that a master chef will use a wooden plate to serve his food because he has confidence in the strength of his cooking, and a beginner chef will use an ornate plate.. but fact is fact, no one cares for anything save the cooking.
    u are of coz correct. dats y i ask true or not lor. heheheh.
    おれのflickrださ

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post

You can use your raw meat vs cooked meat analogy here. I thought it was rather good.

I usually just play around with the levels, just pick 1 Black and 1 White(usually this is bit is blown out) spot and toy around with the sliders a bit and you should even out the 11-18% grey.

The below image was achieved just by levels and curve adjustments, I know it doesn't show clouds, but the aircraft's whites are properly done and the sky turned a nice shade of blue from a dull grey.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast