Thread: What's With The Boxes?

Question What's With The Boxes?

Hi All

I was looking at all the boxes stacked untidily at the top of my book shelves. Not just for my camera and lenses. Even some of my remote control cars, PS2 blah blah & they are taking up space.

I am just wondering, whats the rational behind keeping all these boxes and subsequently selling some of my stuff and saying....COMES WITH BOX! Does it mean better price? I take care of my things better? I mean come on, how many of us buy a product, take it out of box and dump the box never to touch the box till the day we decide to resell it right?

So any comments on this, dunno why i keep them for soooooooooo long and really collect dust...

Default Re: What's With The Boxes?

Quote Originally Posted by cyquek View Post
    Hi All

I was looking at all the boxes stacked untidily at the top of my book shelves. Not just for my camera and lenses. Even some of my remote control cars, PS2 blah blah & they are taking up space.

I am just wondering, whats the rational behind keeping all these boxes and subsequently selling some of my stuff and saying....COMES WITH BOX! Does it mean better price? I take care of my things better? I mean come on, how many of us buy a product, take it out of box and dump the box never to touch the box till the day we decide to resell it right?

So any comments on this, dunno why i keep them for soooooooooo long and really collect dust...
    If you happen to collect action figures in unopen box, they will fork out bigger values. There are some collector's out there looking for vintage characters like the "six million dollar man" , "mcgyver" and etc. Look for them at ebay

if there are 2 persons selling the exact same thing, but one comes with box and the other no, i will buy from the one with the box..

the answer is simple: it just feels more complete.........
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

Subconsciously, a person keeps the box because he knows he's going to get tired of the thing and will sell it someday.

I throw all my boxes out with all my keeper gadgets.

Blog Entries

when i sell my stuff, i pack everything nicely in the original packaging
    and let the new owner have the joy of opening it all over again.

it is just a feel good thing

btw i store my boxes inside each other, so only have 1 big box with all the smaller boxes inside

Quote Originally Posted by lichtleiter View Post
    If you happen to collect action figures in unopen box, they will fork out bigger values. There are some collector's out there looking for vintage characters like the "six million dollar man" , "mcgyver" and etc. Look for them at ebay
    No, I am talking about our camera and lenses...even filter boxes

Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2 View Post
    if there are 2 persons selling the exact same thing, but one comes with box and the other no, i will buy from the one with the box..

the answer is simple: it just feels more complete.........
    So its all in the mind coz a perfectly working lens is still complete yah?

Quote Originally Posted by cy_j View Post
    Subconsciously, a person keeps the box because he knows he's going to get tired of the thing and will sell it someday.

I throw all my boxes out with all my keeper gadgets.
    My point, sometimes after a long while, new things comes and you wana upgrade, u have intention of keeping it so u throw the box away but with new technology you wana sell the old which you originally wanted to keep, but why would that make the value of your items be less not that the item is not in working order?

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    when i sell my stuff, i pack everything nicely in the original packaging
    and let the new owner have the joy of opening it all over again.

it is just a feel good thing

btw i store my boxes inside each other, so only have 1 big box with all the smaller boxes inside

yeah me too...been keeping boxes in boxes, now its like boxes overflowing everywhere. From items from my car to remote control car to PS2 to camera to even some mountain bike stuff....even handphone also keep.....hence the question. Maybe its just me, what i enjoy more is putting them to good use and seeing the real results, most of the time, the box is flung aside ...wana throw worry, dun throw eyesore and attracts nagging from someone who sleeps next to mua...haiz

A well-brought up issue which I considered in the past also.

If you ask me, I'd say it's a weird psychology that we consumers have. I'm not sure if it's here or do overseas photographers also have this "fake" feel-good feeling about boxes?

If you think about it, it's a silly practice. Firstly, in this very humid country of ours, moulds/fungus grow on boxes as well. Especially on the outside. (How many people actually have the luxury store their boxes inside the dry cabinet, hands up!!) If you have any smooth plastic bags that usually come with the cam equipment inside, yup, they don't escape the moulds too. And styrofoams can turn yellow also.

Guess, what. The good 'ol seemingly kind seller places your lens, cam body, or whatever back into all these moulded plastic/boxes. No serious harm done. But it's not a nice feeling. Not sure if anybody has ever thought about this. You may get the assurance that the lens/cam body feels new, cos it comes with THE BOX. But wakey wakey! It definitely won't make the used equipment newer! In fact, it can be worse IMHO.

Secondly, boxes are nothing more than just trash being passed on. As a buyer, your main objective is to buy the equipment 2ndhand. And more importantly, to use it to satisfy your needs. After getting the box, the responsibility of having to find a place to store the useless cardboard is passed to you. You go home, find a spot somewhere, and add to the mess of waiting for more dust and mould to grow on it. You will start using the equipment (hopefully) while the box simply sits there for ages doing nothing.

So it's just a psychology. A lens that has been well used and comes in a box is of course in no way better than a new one without a box. Just like common psychology dictates that a lens that is only 1 year old should be better than one which is 5 years old. Not necessarily true again.

Much said, I doubt this weird psychology will die off. But it's something interesting to think about how sometimes, we do things for the sake of it.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post
    Much said, I doubt this weird psychology will die off. But it's something interesting to think about how sometimes, we do things for the sake of it.
    No I do not think it will die off. And we take some responsibilities in that. Coz for 'better' resale, we will still keep the box, for 'better' resale, we will not really buy one without a box....

To be honest, if everyone can come to a consensus here once and for all that boxes will not affect resale value, I really don't mind throwing them all away.

Actually I believe if the buyers are discerning and smart enough, they will not mind if what you sell is good stuff even though there is no box.

As a newbie photographer many years ago, I used to value boxes like the equipment itself. But now, I've come to a stage in life where neatness in the home outweighs everything else.

Like you, I've got so many boxes. I'm seriously thinking of dumping them all. I've got boxes of stuffs I bought like 9 years ago! And they don't add quality to my life.

Have you ever tried to return a faulty item and been told, "sorry, it has to be in the box supplied" ?

Time, is an effortless construction :)

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    Have you ever tried to return a faulty item and been told, "sorry, it has to be in the box supplied" ?

i'll just tell the supplier, you open up yr new box and i just take the item without the box.

sold of some of my stuff before, with box, wrapper, manual, casing and receipt intact. 80% of time, buyer did not bother to check the item as they can see that the item was obviously well taken care of (of course came with my 3day personal warranty)
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post

now that is different. I would WANT to keep the boxes for say 7 days where 1-1 exchange is possible but i would NOT WANT to keep those darn boxes for 7000 days and its sitting there doing nothing. I think kiwi2 really described what I am thinking....

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post
    To be honest, if everyone can come to a consensus here once and for all that boxes will not affect resale value, I really don't mind throwing them all away.

Actually I believe if the buyers are discerning and smart enough, they will not mind if what you sell is good stuff even though there is no box.

As a newbie photographer many years ago, I used to value boxes like the equipment itself. But now, I've come to a stage in life where neatness in the home outweighs everything else.

Like you, I've got so many boxes. I'm seriously thinking of dumping them all. I've got boxes of stuffs I bought like 9 years ago! And they don't add quality to my life.
    my sentiments exactly. when i stayed on my own with just my wife, truth is space was never an issue. Now that i am staying with parents, maid, 2 kids....a bigger house has just seem smaller and space and neatness is important. And i would certainly hate dust collected which will be bad for the kids. Not to mention, i think my kid's toys alone is taking up space and i have zero power to throw them away

Quote Originally Posted by cyquek View Post
    Hi All

Sometimes, the boxes are really nice. Not worth throwing away. And in case, next time you shift over, these boxes come really useful. Something like sentimental value. My mom always asks me why i keep them. I don't know. But i just like keeping them. They have more value for the product in the future.

GMAN