Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: What equipments to bring to Turkey?

  1. #1
    Member Koh Li Kuan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Bedok Reservoir
    Posts
    73

    Default What equipments to bring to Turkey?

    Hi,

    I will be touring Turkey (package) for 10 days in December. Any suggestions on what lens/equipment to bring?? I am currently using Canon 10D with battery grip.

    These are all I have with me now...
    1)19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 Tokina
    2)28-70mm f/2.8 Tokina
    3)70-200mm f/2.8 Canon
    4)2 X convertor Canon
    5)Manfrotto tripod
    6)512m CF card
    7)Do I need to back up with a manual SLR?

    Thanks
    LK

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,785

    Default

    In your shoes, i would bring:

    10D - without grip,
    19-35,
    ... that's all.

    i don't know the size of the 28-70, but the 70-200 is out of the question.

    i would also supplement either a 35/2 or a fast 50mm. (Fast means big aperture, not speedy AF - for that you'd need a 35/1.4L)

    512mb is too little, unless you shoot very carefully (ie slowly and meticulously.)

    Bring a spare body, even if it's a compact or a digicam. Very important.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koh Li Kuan
    Hi,

    I will be touring Turkey (package) for 10 days in December. Any suggestions on what lens/equipment to bring?? I am currently using Canon 10D with battery grip.

    These are all I have with me now...
    1)19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 Tokina
    2)28-70mm f/2.8 Tokina
    3)70-200mm f/2.8 Canon
    4)2 X convertor Canon
    5)Manfrotto tripod
    6)512m CF card
    7)Do I need to back up with a manual SLR?

    Thanks
    LK

    Depending on the nature of ur trip, if its a photography trip with fellow photographer, then by all means bring all the best equipments & backup u have.

    But if ur touring in a tour package with friends or family, i suggest u go as light & mobile as possible...Such as bringing only the wide angle lens plus ur batts & cards. Forget ur tripod & medium or telephoto lens, they will hamper ur trip. Bring a small digicam just in case bigger cam is not practical...

    Some info on this moderate Islam country,

    http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/TravelDetails/index.html


    I haven't been there b4, maybe other CSer can help u with their experience...

    Just my 0.2 bytes worth

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    6,580

    Default

    Yupe I find that I use the wide end of my 24-135mm lens most of the time. U'll want to take in as much as u can per shot. So the wide angle will be good. It might be better if u can borrow or rent something like the 24-135 or 28-200 or 24-200. This gives u moderate wide angle to medium telephoto all in one lens. The quality of the Tamrons and Tokinas for these high zoom ratio lens are pretty good. So I would recommend that.

    Since u are going digital, u should be able to shoot as much as u like..... so bring more storage. Best if u can bring a HDD along.... then shoot all u want, and keep only the good ones..... I'll invest in the X-Gear actually just for the ability to shoot any and everthing I fancy..... I was conservative in my first such trip..... so shot only 17 rolls of film but realised later that I missed a lot of parts of the journey. I was afraid of running out of film at the last part of the trip. So digital-wise, it should not hamper u...... can borrow one or rent one also I think East Gear does rent out their X-Gears.

  5. #5

    Default

    Are you going by guided tour (most likely ?!) or free and easy?
    There are many places like mosque, underground palace and not allowed to use flash so bring along a fast prime len. 50mm good enuf for these situation. Bring a good zoom for visiting acient cities etc.

    The cloud there are normally cloudless, mild blue. Being dry and this time of the year it can be quite cold at night. Because of cloudless sky, the nitesky is simply amazing!!! If you can find a complete darkness place (alot of space are w/o light so no prob), you will see a nitesky full of stars and very bright too. Most of these have cloudlike think surrounding these stars with is mindblowing. I try setting long exposure like 30min zooming 300mm len to have the star paint the film but my battery fail to withstand the time. That is why I got a all mech. shutter slr now.

    You see alot of bright colored architect like deep red, blue, yellow etc and really make everything look so nice. Orange sunset, mile and mile of gaint sunflower and sunflower field and at time you see hours of sunflower even travelling in a coach.

    I have some old picture I took with a cheapo Tamrom 28-200 len here:
    http://web.singnet.com.sg/~iamjoven/album.htm

  6. #6
    Member Koh Li Kuan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Bedok Reservoir
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whoelse
    Are you going by guided tour (most likely ?!) or free and easy?
    There are many places like mosque, underground palace and not allowed to use flash so bring along a fast prime len. 50mm good enuf for these situation. Bring a good zoom for visiting acient cities etc.

    The cloud there are normally cloudless, mild blue. Being dry and this time of the year it can be quite cold at night. Because of cloudless sky, the nitesky is simply amazing!!! If you can find a complete darkness place (alot of space are w/o light so no prob), you will see a nitesky full of stars and very bright too. Most of these have cloudlike think surrounding these stars with is mindblowing. I try setting long exposure like 30min zooming 300mm len to have the star paint the film but my battery fail to withstand the time. That is why I got a all mech. shutter slr now.

    You see alot of bright colored architect like deep red, blue, yellow etc and really make everything look so nice. Orange sunset, mile and mile of gaint sunflower and sunflower field and at time you see hours of sunflower even travelling in a coach.

    I have some old picture I took with a cheapo Tamrom 28-200 len here:
    http://web.singnet.com.sg/~iamjoven/album.htm
    Hi, I am going by giuded tour. Are tripods allowed? I was thinking since I do not have 50mm/1.8, I might need to use the tripod in low light condition. Or maybe I can rent a one here!!

    LK

  7. #7

    Default

    Ofcos you can bring a tripod even a majong table since we are the customer but you probably do not have time to mount and take. You shd be able to take w/o flash at 1/60 for 50mm, 1/125 for 200mm w/o support and produce reasonably clear picture but then f/stop must be fast enuf -- prob with some zoom lens.

    50mm prime is one of the most useful len, get one and they are optically good and very cheap.

    Otherwise, a good monopod will be a good idea for fast deployment.
    Last edited by whoelse; 29th October 2003 at 01:29 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    6,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whoelse
    Are you going by guided tour (most likely ?!) or free and easy?
    There are many places like mosque, underground palace and not allowed to use flash so bring along a fast prime len. 50mm good enuf for these situation. Bring a good zoom for visiting acient cities etc.

    The cloud there are normally cloudless, mild blue. Being dry and this time of the year it can be quite cold at night. Because of cloudless sky, the nitesky is simply amazing!!! If you can find a complete darkness place (alot of space are w/o light so no prob), you will see a nitesky full of stars and very bright too. Most of these have cloudlike think surrounding these stars with is mindblowing. I try setting long exposure like 30min zooming 300mm len to have the star paint the film but my battery fail to withstand the time. That is why I got a all mech. shutter slr now.

    You see alot of bright colored architect like deep red, blue, yellow etc and really make everything look so nice. Orange sunset, mile and mile of gaint sunflower and sunflower field and at time you see hours of sunflower even travelling in a coach.

    I have some old picture I took with a cheapo Tamrom 28-200 len here:
    http://web.singnet.com.sg/~iamjoven/album.htm

    Great shots..... u scanned the prints? How did u get rid of the white flare that occurs when u scan prints? What film u use?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    6,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koh Li Kuan
    Hi, I am going by giuded tour. Are tripods allowed? I was thinking since I do not have 50mm/1.8, I might need to use the tripod in low light condition. Or maybe I can rent a one here!!

    LK
    If u like bright and saturated shots like a postcard.... use Fuji film...

  10. #10
    Moderator Clown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,779

    Default

    knife, fork, napkin....

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TME
    Great shots..... u scanned the prints? How did u get rid of the white flare that occurs when u scan prints? What film u use?
    Flare? I think maybe I prefer matt paper so it reflex lesser. Scan with some cheapo ancient Scanmaker 300dpi scanner.

    Taken many years ago with Kodak Gold 100 I think. Like you have said, use Fuji!!!

    The paris one I took them on Fujit Sensia 100 and especially the Tokina 17mm ATX PRO. The sky are so much vivid and deep! I took 22 rolls of film for that France 98 Worldcup trip and if I print direct from slide will make me bankrupt. These you see are cheapo transfer from slide to negative then print to paper. So you can tell the color and resolution loss and somemore scanned with flatbed scanner.

    If you look at the slide, they are fantastic. The last time I check my slide, think all of them have fungus grow on them already...

    These pictures anyhow take one, I just started photography and was one of my first/second shoot. Dare not show ppl here in clubsnap even, haha.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    6,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whoelse
    Flare? I think maybe I prefer matt paper so it reflex lesser. Scan with some cheapo ancient Scanmaker 300dpi scanner.

    Taken many years ago with Kodak Gold 100 I think. Like you have said, use Fuji!!!

    The paris one I took them on Fujit Sensia 100 and especially the Tokina 17mm ATX PRO. The sky are so much vivid and deep! I took 22 rolls of film for that France 98 Worldcup trip and if I print direct from slide will make me bankrupt. These you see are cheapo transfer from slide to negative then print to paper. So you can tell the color and resolution loss and somemore scanned with flatbed scanner.

    If you look at the slide, they are fantastic. The last time I check my slide, think all of them have fungus grow on them already...

    These pictures anyhow take one, I just started photography and was one of my first/second shoot. Dare not show ppl here in clubsnap even, haha.
    Not bad..... at least out of 22 rolls got some gems.... hahaha....... I took 17 rolls also got a few... but never scan the prints cos too lazy...... and also I prefer gloss prints..... so the reflection is horrible... one reason why I want to go DSLR..... so that people can critique my work online..... now a bit hard..... no chance to go to SEED...

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    706

    Default

    Think you should try to bring a tripod along. You will need it especially when you visit the mosques and the churches, the interior is quite dark and you need the tripod to capture the magnificent interior and the dome structures.

    Bring a flash along also.

    Filters will be a big plus in catching the beatutiful sunsets.....

  14. #14

    Default

    Hi Li Kuan, how are you? Glad to know you are going for a trip!

    Anyway, suggest you forget about taking the whole bag, just stick to the 10D, 1 wide angle and one mid-zoom lens (28-80mm). Actually, i would just go with the wide angle zoom.

    Forget about the the tripod, or any other "good to have". This is a trip more to relax and to take some scenic shots, after 1 day for walking, you will be hard-pressed to even lug the 10D around, let alone the other stuff.

    Have fun!!

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    6,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coke21
    Think you should try to bring a tripod along. You will need it especially when you visit the mosques and the churches, the interior is quite dark and you need the tripod to capture the magnificent interior and the dome structures.

    Bring a flash along also.

    Filters will be a big plus in catching the beatutiful sunsets.....

    That would make it a very very light tripod... like those $40 ones... filters are light..... so hahaha...... ok lar...... but what filters do u need to capture sunsets?

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TME
    That would make it a very very light tripod... like those $40 ones... filters are light..... so hahaha...... ok lar...... but what filters do u need to capture sunsets?
    Well guess a couple of polarizers and skylight filters should do just nice....

    Light tripod also can lah....at the most use the timer function lor...better then nothing.


    You should see the stained glass....oooo....

  17. #17

    Default

    Trust me lah.
    Either you have no time to setup the tripod or u probably dun get to use it.
    Polorizer is a must, esp the cotton cloud and blue sky.
    But then, no harm to bring as many gear as you like oso (^_^)

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whoelse
    Trust me lah.
    Either you have no time to setup the tripod or u probably dun get to use it.
    (^_^)
    Why wouldn't you have time to setup your tripod?

  19. #19

    Default

    no time one lah, very rush and many site journey are like 2hrs.
    see my above message lor.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    6,580

    Default

    whoelse is correct..... guided tours promise u buffet but u get very little time at each place. In some cases, it might just be a stop-over for 30 mins.... u won't have time to setup tripod and then shoot what u want. Better to just point and shoot. I prefer free and easy actually.... a bit OT here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •