Thread: Regarding Flash manipulation devices(Bounce cards, diffusers, etc)

Default Regarding Flash manipulation devices(Bounce cards, diffusers, etc)

Hi all,
    Am practicing with my flash gun and am wondering, what diffuser,bouncer(Lightsphere, Presslite Vertex), etc is good to use?Theres so many shapes and types......spoilt for choices...Any recommendations?
    The Few...The PROUD...

Default Re: Regarding Flash manipulation devices(Bounce cards, diffusers, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by ardnirun View Post
    Hi all,
    Am practicing with my flash gun and am wondering, what diffuser,bouncer(Lightsphere, Presslite Vertex), etc is good to use?Theres so many shapes and types......spoilt for choices...Any recommendations?
    get them all.. BBB

i would say that if you have a white wall or ceiling low enough to bounce the flash off, use those. being large surfaces, they will help to produce the most pleasant-looking quality of light.

Get the 580 EX II Flash First... After that.. you will see the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ardnirun View Post
    Hi all,
    All flash diffusers out there work as advertised, some work in certain situation better than others. Don't bother with DIY or trying different diffusers, a lot of us here have spent (wasted) time & money getting and trying out gadgets & accessories which does not contribute to our photography.

My recommendation - just stick to the tried and tested method of the name card + rubber band method for a while - it's cheap & effective. When you have played around and explored a bit more, you'll know what you want from your flash.
    Pictures always should have a special story behind it or a special meaning to the photographer.

They are called light modifiers, not manipulation devices

There is no best light modifer, but rather one that suit your needs/requirement. It can be a simple white card held on by a rubber band to some fancy mini softbox. Like the above posters, some swear by branded light modifiers, others go the DIY route. Some like big bulky diffusers, other want a simple easy to carry..

The best is still to determine what you need by understanding what light size you want to light your subject.
    For starters, A Better Bounce Card DIYed from foam is a cheap way to experiment and learn.
    Last edited by viix; 5th April 2009 at 02:55 AM.