Thread: Problems with Adobe RGB in Photoshop CS4 Extended

Default Problems with Adobe RGB in Photoshop CS4 Extended

I have this very peculiar problem with using Adobe RGB colour profile, where the colours look normal in the camera preview and the JPEG image, however the moment I opened the picture in Photoshop, it turns out all muted and just messed up. However, even when I save this messed up image in Photoshop, it looks fine and normal in Windows viewer! Seems to me that the weird colours are only appearing in the programme.

I'm using a Canon 400D, Adobe RGB as colour profile. I have also changed my Photoshop colour space to Adoble RGB (1998), and it seems that whatever colour space I change in Photoshop, none of the profiles show the original colour of the image. I did note that in the EXIF, the colour representation is stated as a 'uncalibrated', any idea what this means, and how I can remedy the situation?

Default Re: Problems with Adobe RGB in Photoshop CS4 Extended

Please have a look at Digital Darkroom, question has been answered already in detail.

Erm.. where? All you posted was a link to the sub-forum, I don't even know which thread it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Elgaris View Post
    Erm.. where? All you posted was a link to the sub-forum, I don't even know which thread it is.
    How about the function "Search thread" and feeding the key word 'profile'? I also don't know by heart which thread it is but after reading this forum for more than a year I know that the answer is there.

Alright, I'm still confused after reading all the threads, so just to simplify things, based on what I see in Photoshop and in Windows Picture Viewer, which of the 2 have the more accurate colours? (Assuming the colour profiles of the monitor, image and Photoshop are the same)

Don't get confused with monitor profiles, colour space and colour profiles in images. The profile of your monitor is loaded in the Operating system. It is either provided by the monitor vendor (baseline profile, can be quite good) or it is created by a profiling software (also called 'calibration software') using a piece of hardware. This profile will adjust the output of the video card so that the output of the monitor is neutral.
    The colour space should be the same here for simplicity and it is recommended to use sRGB as long as you are not into any professional and high end printing.
    If both cases apply (profiled system and matching colour space) then Photoshop will show you the true colours. Reason is: Photoshop is able to recognize the embedded colour profile in the image file and produce the output accordingly. Image editors and viewers that are unaware of colour profiles will only make an average guess - and depending on your monitor characteristics the result can be everything.
    Just in case you have some images that are created using AdobeRGB - don't worry. Photoshop will recognize the colour space by looking into the embedded colour profile and map the AdobeRGB colours to the sRGB colour space of your system. You will see sRGB. Be aware that in this case you must export your edited picture using sRGB colour space. The Internet "speaks" sRGB. For all exports: always include the colour profile.

But still you will see differences between an image displayed in PS and the same file displayed via image viewer. No matter how nicely all components are profiled, there is no cure against the "average guess" of such simple programs when it comes to displaying colours. Luckily some browsers are able to handle embedded profiles (Safari, Firefox) and I hope more will follow.

Alright, thanks for the information!