Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Pre-Straits Times Photoshoot Article Commentary

Default Re: Pre-Straits Times Photoshoot Article Commentary

Quote Originally Posted by glennyong View Post
    the same goes for photographers

and the same goes for many other jobs out there.

someone who can barely sketch can call him/herself a talented artist or even know 10% of the software can selfproclaim that he/she is a designer.
    so true.
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

vince123123
    Guests

Go ahead and quote the comments. Again I will find it laugahble if someone wants to sue for copyright infringement ofa comment.

Quote Originally Posted by simonfan View Post
    Yup yup it is seriously funny !
    Don't know if I we are allowed to quote the comments .. but cc1034's comments are ludicrous and so typical of people not knowing what's going on and wishing to say something ... typical

Blog Entries

I think this comment summerised quite well of what has happened.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showp...48&postcount=9
    I agree with that comment.

What negative publicity? having publicity is better than not. Negative or not is a matter of perception. Public see Clubsnap in newspaper > google seach > come here see > find that it is more than model shoot > see a community here > look thru all the sections > probably become members

Must it be that press must shower only praises for CS for it to be good for publicity? probably many will find it artificial and too boring.

Look at it this way they din even bother to take a second look at the other "photographic forums" - probably not exciting nor news worthy.

I think the ones making a fuss and sensationalizing are members here.

there's no such thing as bad publicity.
    おれのflickrださ

While not nearly as damaging as the TNP article last year. This article is still slanted negatively.

Phrases like " lure of quick cash","I quote a price, take it or leave it" doesnt make the organiser, or the shoots themselves look very good dont they?

And I wonder... why the motivation to actually say the exact words? ST cant misquote people on purpose, but they certainly do try to lure people into saying things that sound really bad. So the interviewee in question has fallen for the trap.

The way it was written leaves much to be desired and frankly, rather disappointing that this journalist wrote it the way she did. I am not talking about her style or flair, but the way she looks only upon 1 side of the coin.

All the same, we must realise that model shoots have never been looked upon favourably by the public unless it is some form of advertising or big concept shoot that has a huge budget.

Overall, its not exactly damaging but it sure as hell didnt give us anymore credit as a community.

Moral of the story, fame on a newspaper isnt exactly what it seems to be.... so steer clear unless you are extremely confident of coming through looking well

Quote Originally Posted by shiruikage View Post
    there's no such thing as bad publicity.
    look at paris hilton!
    picture perfect

Quote Originally Posted by wheresmycheese View Post
    look at paris hilton!
    urghhh! i try not to!
    おれのflickrださ

Blog Entries

CS is a large community and it makes up of all sorts of ppl as members.

While the majority are concerned about the well being of CS and the publicity, there are also some amongst us (a hand full)who join as members just to sabotage us.

Quote Originally Posted by shiruikage View Post
    urghhh! i try not to!
    she took bad publicity into her stride so why

should be
    picture perfect

Pardon my curiosity, but I think I read several times that 'the public looks down on group or model shoots'.

Is this a fact? Or where was this public opinion stated?

The article (to me) is all about Awareness. It touches on the WHO, WHAT, WHY, and it highlights the mentality issue that is currently on the minds of teens. I dont see it as 'negative' as it presented quite a bit of facts. Facts that the increase of such shoots have
    been a boom recently, which some CSers even complain of.

Someone was right to say that the 'conclusion' is left to the Reader.
    The photograph used was to sensationalise it. We view it as 'negative' as we are
    part of this 'community'. To get a better feel, we need to view it from another perspective.
    Which is -
    Model, parent, camera companies, law enforcers. But mainly as parents.

Because the underlying message is that kids are 'entrepreneurs' who are willing to sacrifice alot for their own gains. It could be a case where we can get rid of such shoots, or the exact opposite - have an influx that we wont even have enough demand.
    The sooner you get it, the longer you enjoy it.
    I welcome you @ www.benaw.zenfolio.com

Smile Re: Pre-Straits Times Photoshoot Article Commentary

it seems that such subject matter are published on sunday, i can only think it is for light reading on a sunday. or not enough material to fill the sunday's pages.

Quote Originally Posted by wheresmycheese View Post
    she took bad publicity into her stride so why

should be
    oh, not that. putting bad publicity to good use is . what i is just...cannot say publicly one.

all the writers in ST must be running out of ideas to write. so just kelong one story. hahah.
    おれのflickrださ

Quote Originally Posted by mrhobbit View Post
    While not nearly as damaging as the TNP article last year. This article is still slanted negatively.

Phrases like " lure of quick cash","I quote a price, take it or leave it" doesnt make the organiser, or the shoots themselves look very good dont they?

And I wonder... why the motivation to actually say the exact words? ST cant misquote people on purpose, but they certainly do try to lure people into saying things that sound really bad. So the interviewee in question has fallen for the trap.

The way it was written leaves much to be desired and frankly, rather disappointing that this journalist wrote it the way she did. I am not talking about her style or flair, but the way she looks only upon 1 side of the coin.

All the same, we must realise that model shoots have never been looked upon favourably by the public unless it is some form of advertising or big concept shoot that has a huge budget.

Overall, its not exactly damaging but it sure as hell didnt give us anymore credit as a community.

Moral of the story, fame on a newspaper isnt exactly what it seems to be.... so steer clear unless you are extremely confident of coming through looking well
    I hope i am not appearing to be siding the media, but I want to be fair to all parties, based on the actual facts which are presented and known.

I feel that the above comments are rather unfair and misleading.

Firstly, this time around, all the quotes above were not from the media, rather those are quotes from Mervin, Mike, Sophia (though she claimed that she was misquoted on some instances) and the rest. It is now known that all the people knew about the reporter and her photographer and were willing parties to the whole report.

why the motivation to actually say the exact words?
    Does one need motivation to report the exact words from interviewees (even though these words may be those that we are not prepared to read)?.

I am not talking about her style or flair,
    but the way she looks only upon 1 side of the coin.
    What other side of the coin are you referring? She is only reporting what our members are telling her.

This statement it totally bullsh1t! Who have given you this idea? As far as I know, the only people who do not look favourably on CS model shoots are only some of the members here, whom even the Mods knew all along as some people who are out to cause mischief and mistrust.

Moral of the story:
    If you need to blame the reporter from writing the article, blame our members first. My own observation is that they are too young and inexperience to handle the media.

If I were Mervin, for the sake of the members, I would not entertain the reporter coz anything I said, I would never able to withdraw. But if I have to, then I would at least tell the reporters about the good things about such photoshoots, the experiences, the friendship, what the models can learn and appreciate, enterprising lessons for the organisers, etc... instead of demeaning the models. But being young, Mervin thought that telling the "truth" will get some messages across. Unfortunately, these "truth" are what the newspaper is looking, or at least hoping to get from the interviewee.

If I were Mike, I would not have accepted the media to attend this shoot. Instead I will invite them to a more suitable shoot, like fashion, etc. But it is obvious that this reporter has done her homework well ... if not, she would have interview Ivan or Charby.
    Without knowing his reasons, I think Mike should not have agreed to the whole thing as it should be obvious that it now appears that we, ourselves have set up the show for everyone to watch

If I were Sophia, I would have talked more about my roles as a responsible organizer, helping new young girls to experience some form of modeling career, resulting in a more confident person in college, school, maybe getting some incomes to supplement their studies, etc.... It is always a bad move if one talks about the negative aspects of a subject to a reporter. You never know how she is going to interpret your statements.

Anyway, this has already happened. We learn our lessons and we must learn to correct our mistakes. Let's believe in this community!
    Last edited by Canonised; 5th April 2009 at 10:09 PM.
    always the Light, .... always.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Pardon my curiosity, but I think I read several times that 'the public looks down on group or model shoots'.

Is this a fact? Or where was this public opinion stated?
    a lot of non-photographers have very warped concept of model shots.

that much is true.. i shall not go into detail here

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    a lot of non-photographers have very warped concept of model shots.

that much is true.. i shall not go into detail here
    Hmm ...

Do they think it's some secret sexual orgies or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Hmm ...

Do they think it's some secret sexual orgies or something like that?
    not that extreme, but they think that there is a lot more glory and testosterone and between the sheet exchanges that go on..

well, i told them, i don't shoot models, so you're asking the wrong person, unless you think i sleep with rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    if you ever read newspaper, you will know that newspaper reporting is not supposed to have any conclusion ....
    it leaves the conclusion to the readers.

Newspaper reporting is supposed to tell the story from all sides. The problem is that they have to somehow "sensationalize" some issues so that the reporting is more attractive....
    Of course I read the newspapers, just that news articles without substance on social issues is as good as reading nothing, it's a waste of money paying for it. Substance here refers to analysis and the like. What is the purpose of publishing a story that attempts to raise a social issue without going into depth? If it is to simply raise awareness, it's as good as saying nothing in itself, or it's an attempt to stir up trouble, or it's just bad reporting by a reporter who doesn't have the guts to say what he/she really want to.

Quote Originally Posted by obfuscate View Post
    Of course I read the newspapers, just that news articles without substance on social issues is as good as reading nothing, it's a waste of money paying for it. Substance here refers to analysis and the like. What is the purpose of publishing a story that attempts to raise a social issue without going into depth? If it is to simply raise awareness, it's as good as saying nothing in itself, or it's an attempt to stir up trouble, or it's just bad reporting by a reporter who doesn't have the guts to say what he/she really want to.
    maybe it was an "advertisement"?
    have u seen the "light" yet?

ST has criticized ClubSnap photos at http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_359663.html

This is not fair. Anybody can shoot anybody with permission as long we stay within the local law rite???

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast