Thread: Donation of Cameras and Laptops

Default Donation of Cameras and Laptops

Hello,
    I am previously from Saint Andrew Junior College and this year, our school's Overseas Community Involvement Project (OCIP) Alumni will again be embarking on a trip to Cambodia, Phnom Penh, Koh Ramdual Island to build a school for 40 students on the island. The trip will be from 16th to 23rd of june and we will be working with Khmer Heir Association and familycare foundation for the project.

For the project, we really hope that we can bring over cameras and laptops for the students both at the Khmer Heir Association and school we will be building on the island. We only need cameras that are still in proper working condition, as they will be donated to the students to take simple pictures of their lives. This is to keep us updated about the progress of their lives. Of course laptop will be a bonus for us as the students there do have access to electricity but can only have access to computers once per month.

This will be the fourth year in which the Alumni will be visiting the island as we hope to achieve sustainability in the things we are doing. We will really welcome any donations that can benefit the local students in Cambodia.

I understand that proof will be needed for your donation. As such, we will get Familycare Foundation to email you the proof that the items you donated are for the local community there. On my part, i can also keep you updated about our trip through mails.

For more enquires, please kindly contact me at mirritony@hotmail.com or sms me at 94318433.

Thanks!

Tony Tay
    SAJC OCIP
    Alumni

Default Re: Donation of Cameras and Laptops

Just wondering, why laptops specifically? I believe some people may have perfectly workable desktops and they're generally more powerful than equivalent laptops, and last longer as some laptop batteries may die very fast. Desktops might be beneficial for the people, if they have electrical power.

Blog Entries

I have move this to events (not such whereas it fits)

Anyway I have 15" Powerbook G4 w/ OSX and still great working condition, a few software (genuine) not sure if it is useful for them. Can come to collect from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirika View Post
    Just wondering, why laptops specifically? I believe some people may have perfectly workable desktops and they're generally more powerful than equivalent laptops, and last longer as some laptop batteries may die very fast. Desktops might be beneficial for the people, if they have electrical power.
    probably transportation of the items... carry a desktop = 2 or 3x the size & weight of a laptop.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Yes it is due to the transportation as we are travelling to Cambodia so the weight limit for flight is an issue for us. So we will prefer to have laptops. However if you do have a desktop to donate, we are also keen of it as we can pass it to our alumni's trip to karimun island, indonesia, for the kids over there. The weight is less of a problem for that trip as they are travelling by boats.

Thanks for clarifying!

tony

Quote Originally Posted by chngpe01 View Post
    I have move this to events (not such whereas it fits)

Anyway I have 15" Powerbook G4 w/ OSX and still great working condition, a few software (genuine) not sure if it is useful for them. Can come to collect from me.
    Brother Chngpe01,

You are someone that really command our respect.God bless.

Good one Chngpe01!
    really lead by example!

u might wanna chk with airline about bring laptops over there btw..
    if split among all the passengers maybe ok
    but i know if u put all the laptops together the consolidated batteries might pose a hazard for flying..
    some guy brought 40 laptops here from usa for training and he said apparently the airline dun allow him to pack the batteries together.

Thank you Slaam i will take note of that =) Yes i count myself really lucky to have met Chngpe01 here in the forum. He has really help me a great deal so far!

I will like to thank the following people who have kindly donated the following items:

1)Mr. Chng peng Eik who has kindly offered a laptop
    2)Mr. Nick who has kindly donated a camera
    3)Mr. richard who has kindly donated two cameras
    4)Mr. Yong Tang who kindly donated a camera too
    5)Mr. Lee who has also kindly donated a camera

I will also like to thank people who have shown trust to my thread and help me along the way. I really hope we can recieve more donation along the way.

Cheers
    Tony Tay

Hi I'm Nicholas currently J2 in SAJC. I might have a small video camera that I can donate. Gotta check if working condition because I haven't used it in a very long time.

I'm an ex-Saints (not JC) too. I can contribute a Canon A75 and some CF cards. But the user would need to provide the batteries. Just let me know the arrangements.

btw, when you said camera, are you restricting to digital cameras?

cheers

I don't know how successful your collection is going to be - but in case it gets very successful, please do contact immigration and customs to make sure that your items can pass through without having to pay tax.

I'd been on several YEPs and have been stopped all the time with regards to donations flown in as check-in baggage - of course luckily the officials gave chance and let me pass since it's really donations, but they need to do their job - they don't want you to be "importing" goods into their country for sale... which is taxable.

So do clarify before you bring these in..

All the best!

If there's any faulty camera, I will try to fix FOC.
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

Hello Sequitur! thanks for the valuable information! So do you mean i will have to call the immigration and customs to seek clearance to bring all these items in our check-in baggage? Oh which country have you been for YEP? Thanks for the well wishes too!

Hello fatique, Thanks so much for the offer! So far, all the cameras are really in good condition thanks to the superb care by the doners =)

Quote Originally Posted by silent reverie View Post
    Hello Sequitur! thanks for the valuable information! So do you mean i will have to call the immigration and customs to seek clearance to bring all these items in our check-in baggage? Oh which country have you been for YEP? Thanks for the well wishes too!

I suggest you call the Cambodian embassy in Singapore to check.. they should be able to advise.

I've been to Philippines and Vietnam and Nepal.

Quote Originally Posted by sequitur View Post
    I suggest you call the Cambodian embassy in Singapore to check.. they should be able to advise.

I've been to Philippines and Vietnam and Nepal.
    i've done 2 YEPs in cambodia and another 4 projects also in cambodia. have some contacts with the local govt for import clearance. if you need help, just PM me. would be glad to help.
    JustOneSmile.that's all i need..