Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Windsurfing Expedition

Quote Originally Posted by snappist
    We are a lovely couple and are marrying in Dec 2003.
    Currently we are auditioning for wedding photographers.
    We need two wedding photographers (one colour and one black and white) who have some experience.
    If you do not have much, you can also apply, provided your normal photography shots of insects, flowers and cats impress us with good exposure and composition.

This is a good opportunity for you to learn what to do in a wedding photography assignment if you aspire to grow in this area as I do not think couples will give newbies a chance.

These are what will happen in the interview
    1. show us a porffolio of your portfolio of wedding or photography
    2. show us your equipment (only SLR need apply, we will be impressed with L lens types but normal 3rd party lens are also okay)
    3. prefer digital SLR (Camera Make and Model, please be as precise as possible so that it does not conflict with others' interest)
    4. ability to use photoshop (as a safeguard in case your exposure goes haywire and post processing work is required by photographer.)
    5. make sure you service your equipment before bringing them to meet us as we do not like "fungus" infected lens because it affects performance.
    6. on the spot questions on photography may be asked, so be prepared for questions on exposure, flash metering and the likes. This applies more for newbies.

Fee (for arrangements): $150 (included catered buffet lunch and a packet of quick chicken rice dinner plus two packets of Yeos, do not drink beer during dinner as we do not want you to get drunk)
    Time schedule: 2 Weekends (full-day)
    Maximum photographers allowed: 3
    Condition: A copy of the photos (digital files and original negatives will be duplicated and kept by me) taken by you will be kept by me. I may use them for any purpose. Other than the above-mentioned, photographers retain their exclusive rights to the photos taken.

$150 is low considering that it is an opportunity of a lifetime and who else will give you this chance?? We are also insuring against defects for you because in case your digital shots turn out bad and you do not know photoshop, we can turn the files to a professional colour center to pay extra for some salvaging works on the files. We also need to cover some cost of duplicating the negatives.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    The above is an example of a solicitation that is likely to be posted on clubsnap in future to exploit photographers.
    Exploitation of photographers are common.

Quote Originally Posted by STShooter
    Common doesn't mean that it is permissable and nothing can be done to it.

The challenge for photographers is to unite together and prevent the common exploitation of photographers from turning to the blatant exploitation of photographers.

If public forums like clubsnap is used as a vehicle for such exploitation, it shows the audacity of such exploiters expanding their exploitation with additional temerity! Should we counter it? Or just shrug it off as a fact of life?

But it can be stopped with unity and awareness!

benissez
    Guests

Default Thank You

Thank You to all who had PMed. Please close this thread as all vacancies are filled.

For those whose applications are turned down or not replied, please forgive me as there are indeed restrictions that I must comply.

And to those who made alot of noise about the charges, I apologise for no time to reply.

(ps. Next time I should include in my thread "No Students" as they probably won't pay and are far too idealistic about photography and their capabilities- sorry for the over-generalisation)

You sounded like you have an over-subscribed IPO in the market.

Good for you that you got your people even after all these gospel and murmurings about your first of a kind volunteer "arrangement fees".
    Last edited by snappist; 30th October 2003 at 02:02 PM.

Hey, I'll still like to know how the arrangement fee is broken down.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kira
    Hey, I'll still like to know how the arrangement fee is broken down.....
    easy escape...
    just announced IPO oversubscribed without explaining much in the prospectus

and take a few stab at market watchers with a final statement.

Quote Originally Posted by snappist
    easy escape...
    just announced IPO oversubscribed without explaining much in the prospectus

and take a few stab at market watchers with a final statement.
    But as u know lah - some of the subscribers of the IPO may later regret subscribing especially when the share price drops!

Actually, its quite amazing that the poster obtained his photographers. I wonder if its real or fake. Who knows.

When I read this post, I thought that it should be something that someone would volunteer to do so instead of being paid because the concept is:

Photographer takes photos for the event
    Photographer gains a free boat ride and the experience etc (but may risk the health of the camera).

The event organiser gets free photos of the event.

Simple logic and sounds fair. But adding in the fact that the photographer has to pay makes it totally the gain of the event organiser (or the poster) and nothing to gain for the photographer since he is in effect paying to gain whatever he's gaining.

Like Snappist said, we provide a service whether amateurish or professional. WE PROVIDE a SERVICE. Imagine asking a singer to pay to sing on stage to gain exposure and experience during GE TAI or something like that. Or maybe a PC Repairman to PAY the customer for gaining experience to REPAIR PC's.

Sigh..

I would do it for free, to spend my opportunity cost of time on the event, but to pay for it? No way. Never. Unless its a training course or a lesson-based shoot. Other than that, impossible.

Poster of the thread, congrats for getting your S$200 - costs.
    www.kelvinseet.com
    See the world through my eyes

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by KSeet
    When I read this post, I thought that it should be something that someone would volunteer to do so instead of being paid because the concept is:
    i was thinking along the lines that being a NSA, and getting some paltry funds from neither being a Core nor Merit Sport (if non-core/non-merit sport dont get funds, it's my mistake then), i doubt a NSA would be that hard-up to ask photographers to pay to shoot. who would buy the shots, anyway, except for hardcore windsurfers?... in the end, guess how marketable the shots would be...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123