Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad Cyclist.

Default Re: Bad Cyclist.

use traffic light, overhead bridge, underground tunnel or zebra crossing instead
    Nikon D60 Multiply Bukit Merah Secondary School

Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post

I not looking down on china woman or not but they just too much. Same T junction, I saw 3 china ppl, cycling opposite direction and side by side! They not only obstructing the traffic and also risking their life.
    since when do race and origin come into play when we talk about things like this?

口是心非

Before anyone has any smart ideas that cycling in Singapore has no law... do take the trouble to read the follow. It is not just about saving you money...it might one day save your life or the life of another. Police close one eye but if they want to take action they can. I think also if you have a life insurance policy... better check about whether you can claim or not if you run foul of the law. I am wondering if you ride on the wrong side of the road and a car hits you.. I am wondering if your happy and friendly neighbourhood insurance company will let you claim if it ever came out you were cycling on the wrong side of the road, cycling on a foot path or at your housing estate that was suppose to be for walkers...NOT BICYCLEs.

ROAD TRAFFIC ACT
    (CHAPTER 276, SECTION 140)
    ROAD TRAFFIC (BICYCLES) RULES

[25th November 1955]

Citation.

1. These Rules may be cited as the Road Traffic (Bicycles) Rules.

Definitions.

2. In these Rules, unless the context otherwise requires —
    "hours of darkness" means the time between sunset and sunrise;
    "bicycle" means a pedal bicycle and includes a pedal tricycle and a trishaw.

Towing not permitted.

3. No bicycle shall when on any road be towed by any other vehicle.

Restriction on number of persons carried.

4. No bicycle shall be used to carry at one time more persons than the number for which it is designed and no pillion passenger shall be carried on a bicycle:
    Provided that a child under 12 years of age may be carried on a properly constructed seat or carrier affixed to a pedal bicycle.

Riders to give signals.

5. The rider of a bicycle shall in order to inform traffic that he intends —

(a) to ‘stop’ — hold out his right arm horizontally with the forearm vertical and with the palm of the hand to the front;

(b) to ‘slow down’ — hold out his right arm horizontally with the palm of the hand downwards, and move the arm up and down several times;

(c) to ‘proceed to the right’ — hold out his right arm horizontally with the palm of the hand to the front; and

(d) to ‘proceed to the left’ — hold out his left arm horizontally with the palm of the hand to the front.

Signals to be made in sufficient time.

6. Signals under rule 5 shall be made in sufficient time to enable traffic to take appropriate action for the avoidance of danger.
    Travelling abreast prohibited.

7. —(1) No pedal tricycle or trishaw shall be ridden on the right of another vehicle proceeding in the same direction except when overtaking such other vehicle.

(2) No pedal bicycle shall be ridden on the right of any two other pedal bicycles proceeding abreast in the same direction except when overtaking such other pedal bicycles or on parts of roads or paths set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.

(3) Wherever part of a road or a path adjacent to a road has been set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles, no bicycle shall be used on any other part of the roadway.

Bicycle to be ridden on left side of road.

8. Every bicycle shall be ridden close to the left hand edge of the roadway and in such a manner as not to obstruct vehicles moving at a faster speed.

9. Load on bicycle not to exceed 18 kg.

(1) No load on any two-wheel bicycle shall weigh more than 18 kg. or be of such dimensions as to cause or be likely to cause danger, obstruction or annoyance to persons using the road, and every load shall be properly and rigidly secured to the bicycle.
    Limitations of height, etc. of load.

(2) No load on any pedal tricycle shall overhang the body fitted thereto nor shall the height of any such load be more than one metre from the ground.

Bicycle to be ridden in an orderly manner.

10. No bicycle shall be ridden or propelled otherwise than in an orderly manner and with due regard for the safety of others.

Lights to be carried by bicycles during darkness.

11. —(1) Every pedal bicycle shall, during the hours of darkness, carry a lamp showing to the front a white light visible from a reasonable distance.

(2) Every pedal tricycle and trishaw shall, during the hours of darkness, carry a lamp fixed to the offside of the vehicle and showing to the front a white light visible from a reasonable distance.

(3) Every bicycle shall, during the hours of darkness, carry a lamp or a red reflector showing to the rear a red light or a red reflector visible from a reasonable distance.

Restriction on nature of lights.

12. —(1) No bicycle shall show a red light to the front.

(2) No bicycle shall show any light other than a red light to the rear.

[ Jump to: Front Page / Arrangement of Provisions / Actual Provisions ]

And yes I am a CYCLIST.. an I do follow all those rules...... since 1979.

Last edited by sammy888; 3rd April 2009 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post

Restriction on number of persons carried.

4. No bicycle shall be used to carry at one time more persons than the number for which it is designed and no pillion passenger shall be carried on a bicycle:
    Provided that a child under 12 years of age may be carried on a properly constructed seat or carrier affixed to a pedal bicycle.

no more tian mi mi...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    no more tian mi mi...

That's not my problem man hahahahaha..... my wifey is my bike

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    That's not my problem man hahahahaha..... my wifey is my bike
    got exhaust?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

vince123123
    Guests

For this type, next time mentally prepare yourself ot push them down. I wont have any qualms to push or kick a cyclist down in order to ensure my own safety, or the safety of another child.

Was on my way home this morning after night shift. Abt to cross the road, I waited for a car to pass and I concentrate on the other oncoming one. Once the first car pass me, I made my move.

I was hit by a bicycle when i just step on the road. You will be wondering how could possible hit by it. Cause that china woman cycle the opposite direction and my focus is on my right, not my left.

Luckily she isn't travelling fast and also, my size is big enough to blk the impact. She also lucky enough that I didn't push her down. She say sorry to me but I still can't bother her much as I still have to look out for the oncoming car. I faster make my move across, just in case out of no where, another car come along n hit me this time.

So, next time beware of this kind of cyclist. Too much in local, cycling opposite traffic direction. If I am a kid, I might suffer head injure.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    For this type, next time mentally prepare yourself ot push them down. I wont have any qualms to push or kick a cyclist down in order to ensure my own safety, or the safety of another child.
    I am surprise when I got hit. But since the type hit me, I let it off. Furthermore, I already on the road, better look out for cars than quarrel with her.

Got once, I saw a couple, speeding down the pavement, ringing like mad and ask ppl to give way. Actually I want to kick the guy down, he so rude n dangerous and pavement is not his cycling path. Another thing is that he is speed, so fast, how to avoid them if old ppl or young children?

I might teach those bad cyclist a lesson one day. Send a msg out to them, rather then keep quiet and become their human target.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

I am surprise when I got hit. But since the type hit me, I let it off. Furthermore, I already on the road, better look out for cars than quarrel with her.

Got once, I saw a couple, speeding down the pavement, ringing like mad and ask ppl to give way. Actually I want to kick the guy down, he so rude n dangerous and pavement is not his cycling path. Another thing is that he is speed, so fast, how to avoid them if old ppl or young children?

I might teach those bad cyclist a lesson one day. Send a msg out to them, rather then keep quiet and become their human target.
    quote u liao... if u appear on papers, i'll pass this to the judge... hehehehe... intention of causing hurt...

since u quote vince liao... then i no need quote him again...

vince123123
    Guests

So funny, such a threat is obviously unconsidered before it is made. You probably need more research in law.

Go ahead and do it if you think it makes you happy heheheheeh I know that nothing will happen to me. I'm not so sure the same will be the case for you if you want to find trouble with me hahah!

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    quote u liao... if u appear on papers, i'll pass this to the judge... hehehehe... intention of causing hurt...

since u quote vince liao... then i no need quote him again...
    Last edited by vince123123; 3rd April 2009 at 10:42 PM.

vince123123
    Guests

Agreed, I'll support you in forming such an opinion. Which is why i said we need to mentally prepare ourselves first, so that the next time it happens, you will not be too surprised to do it; you will actually be able to react in time, since it is already planned. It is similar to how people hone their reflexes during training so that when the event happens, in a split second the prior preparation will kick in

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    This is Singapore and not the west, where cyclist have more rights, and the car drivers are usually more used (and drive more safely than here) to having cyclist on the road. In Singapore it is so dangerous to cycle in the same direction, as they have less rights, they are easily ignored by cars/buses.....if you get hit from behind you have NO chance to step away, if cycling in the opposite direction, you still have SOME chance to not get hit, or get less injuries.....

Just look at cyclist when they enter a busway and a bus is entering: I have not seen a bus giving way to the cyclist (same direction), the cyclist had to cycle inside the busway and wait there till bus is leaving...

HS
    I pity Bus Captains and passengers, every morning I drive past Corporation Drive about 5 to 7 cyclists against the traffic direction cycle right into the bus stop all the way to their work place. In one incident, the lady in the group hit someone and her friends threaten the poor guy. Hope you never travel by bus.
    The bus operators are not taking chances all PRC Bus Captains are trained before they are allowed on the road

Agreed, I'll support you in forming such an opinion. Which is why i said we need to mentally prepare ourselves first, so that the next time it happens, you will not be too surprised to do it; you will actually be able to react in time, since it is already planned. It is similar to how people hone their reflexes during training so that when the event happens, in a split second the prior preparation will kick in
    vince123123

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    Were you yourself crossing at a pedestrian crossing? Cause, from the way you wrote it, it seems not.......

There is a reason why some people cycle in the opposite direction........it is safer! Think about it first.....if you don't understand the logic ask me

Does it matter if it was a china woman or a local? Why the distinction?

HS
    Quote Originally Posted by luntut View Post
    IF...............

you jaywalk...? (you wrong)
    you never look left look right b4 u cross? (you wrong)
    you blame others nvr blame yourself? (you wrong)
    you suddenly cross the road, with no warning to the china woman? (you wrong)
    you call people china woman, so rude. (you wrong)

do i need to elaborate more?

always blame yourself first before you even start to blame others.

Let the person without sin cast the first stone.
    Now I understand why peoples say "Singapore is a kampong in China" cos many peoples sing "Stand-up for china"

Quote Originally Posted by Jukon View Post
    Now I understand why peoples say "Singapore is a kampong in China" cos many peoples sing "Stand-up for china"
    wow you so civilised, how to be from kampung in china!

so much love, so much understanding, so much open-mindedness!

true blue singaporean worxx!

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    wow you so civilised, how to be from kampung in china!

so much love, so much understanding, so much open-mindedness!

true blue singaporean worxx!
    Of course Singaporean worries
    cos some ppls here

Quote Originally Posted by paesyl View Post
    Agree with that. Cycle at opposite direction is safer. So now the question is you cross at pedestrian crossing?
    like that mah? i always cycle on road with the flow of traffic.

i see those week end cyclist with full gear and expensive bikes also cycle with the flow of traffic.

just read sammy's post, seems i am right about riding with the flow.
    Last edited by denniskee; 4th April 2009 at 01:52 AM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

As long the cyclist obey the rules, I dont bother to hurt them. If they against the rules and I feel threaten, I will defend myself by injuring them. Then I will call police and let the law take action, as to prove the law is there to protect us.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

I've been cycling since 2001 and so far so good.

The trick is to cycling along with the flow, giving ample time for drivers to see you. Going against the flow is not recommended, seeing how the cars zoom past you can be unnerving, less reaction time if you pounce out from nowhere. If there's a car behind, move in a little into the double yellow line to allow him space to move past. Crossing the road? Try to see if there's a traffic junction with pedestrian crossing to do so. After all, car vs bike, the cyclists are at the losing end, even if I'm in the right, I'd rather not break a leg for a couple thousand dollars.

I only fear too many cars like Balestier, in which, I'll get off my bike and push on the pedestrian path since there's lots of people too.

So funny, such a threat is obviously unconsidered before it is made. You probably need more research in law.

Go ahead and do it if you think it makes you happy heheheheeh I know that nothing will happen to me. I'm not so sure the same will be the case for you if you want to find trouble with me hahah!

haiz... loopholes used by people who knows the law... such sad case... so everyone should go and aim cyclists now? since nothing wrong rite, just tell the judge that he is cycling, so you can just pin him to the ground... knowing the loophole is 1, advocating everyone to do so is another.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast