Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 58

Thread: Bad Cyclist.

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,184

    Thumbs down Bad Cyclist.

    Was on my way home this morning after night shift. Abt to cross the road, I waited for a car to pass and I concentrate on the other oncoming one. Once the first car pass me, I made my move.

    I was hit by a bicycle when i just step on the road. You will be wondering how could possible hit by it. Cause that china woman cycle the opposite direction and my focus is on my right, not my left.

    Luckily she isn't travelling fast and also, my size is big enough to blk the impact. She also lucky enough that I didn't push her down. She say sorry to me but I still can't bother her much as I still have to look out for the oncoming car. I faster make my move across, just in case out of no where, another car come along n hit me this time.

    So, next time beware of this kind of cyclist. Too much in local, cycling opposite traffic direction. If I am a kid, I might suffer head injure.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    sewage drain/manhole
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: Bad Cyclist.

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    Cause that china woman cycle the opposite direction and my focus is on my right, not my left.
    waiting for one day it hit on some major talent pple... action will be taken then lah.

    wait.....

  3. #3

    Default Re: Bad Cyclist.

    as pedestrian you should look right and left before you cross. Maybe you should drop by to The Road Safety Community Park at East Coast Park and sign up the basic course for road safety.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Bad Cyclist.

    There are all kinds of ppl on/off the road. bad cyclists, bad driver and even bad pedestrians. We just have to be careful ourselves.
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr

  5. #5

    Default Re: Bad Cyclist.

    I wont said they are bad in skill but most of the time in a hurry and dun look out for ppl or car. I why?

    I was at a junction traffic light (i was the 1st car) and it just turn green for a few sec, start moving and a cyclist coming across my path from the zebra crossing from filter lane. I stop in time but the cyclist didnt and bang into my car then just run off (turn back) with a sorry.

    So whose fault in the eye of the law. If i really hit the cyclist i believe i will to sue for sure.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Bad Cyclist.

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    Was on my way home this morning after night shift. Abt to cross the road, I waited for a car to pass and I concentrate on the other oncoming one. Once the first car pass me, I made my move.

    I was hit by a bicycle when i just step on the road. You will be wondering how could possible hit by it. Cause that china woman cycle the opposite direction and my focus is on my right, not my left.

    Luckily she isn't travelling fast and also, my size is big enough to blk the impact. She also lucky enough that I didn't push her down. She say sorry to me but I still can't bother her much as I still have to look out for the oncoming car. I faster make my move across, just in case out of no where, another car come along n hit me this time.

    So, next time beware of this kind of cyclist. Too much in local, cycling opposite traffic direction. If I am a kid, I might suffer head injure.
    Were you yourself crossing at a pedestrian crossing? Cause, from the way you wrote it, it seems not.......

    There is a reason why some people cycle in the opposite direction........it is safer! Think about it first.....if you don't understand the logic ask me

    Does it matter if it was a china woman or a local? Why the distinction?

    HS

  7. #7

    Default Re: Bad Cyclist.

    I suffered the same thing last time

  8. #8

    Default Re: Bad Cyclist.

    Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    Were you yourself crossing at a pedestrian crossing? Cause, from the way you wrote it, it seems not.......

    There is a reason why some people cycle in the opposite direction........it is safer! Think about it first.....if you don't understand the logic ask me

    Does it matter if it was a china woman or a local? Why the distinction?

    HS
    Agree with that. Cycle at opposite direction is safer. So now the question is you cross at pedestrian crossing?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Bad Cyclist.

    It is *not* safer, as BBTM's post as shown. Please do not propagate unsafe practices.

    http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/traffic/wrong.htm

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Bad Cyclist.

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    Was on my way home this morning after night shift. Abt to cross the road, I waited for a car to pass and I concentrate on the other oncoming one. Once the first car pass me, I made my move.

    I was hit by a bicycle when i just step on the road. You will be wondering how could possible hit by it. Cause that china woman cycle the opposite direction and my focus is on my right, not my left.

    Luckily she isn't travelling fast and also, my size is big enough to blk the impact. She also lucky enough that I didn't push her down. She say sorry to me but I still can't bother her much as I still have to look out for the oncoming car. I faster make my move across, just in case out of no where, another car come along n hit me this time.

    So, next time beware of this kind of cyclist. Too much in local, cycling opposite traffic direction. If I am a kid, I might suffer head injure.
    shiok... u car magnet...

    talk about it, my dad the other day drove out and got hit by a cyclist... yes, a bicycle hit the car... then the guy fake fall and demand compensation... then threaten to call police, then my dad say to him, you don't call police, i call... then my dad take his foto along with the car damage then he ride off... previously limping for the entire arguement, complain of leg pain, but cannot produce any bruise. Have to beware of all these scams... esp when they ride darn fast against the traffic.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Bad Cyclist.

    years ago i stepped on to a cyclist as i alighted from the bus. i didn't fall..but he did. i stood there looking at his sheepish look

  12. #12

    Default Re: Bad Cyclist.

    Going against the flow of traffic is wrong. It does not matter if you are a car, lorry or bike.


    Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    Were you yourself crossing at a pedestrian crossing? Cause, from the way you wrote it, it seems not.......

    There is a reason why some people cycle in the opposite direction........it is safer! Think about it first.....if you don't understand the logic ask me

    Does it matter if it was a china woman or a local? Why the distinction?

    HS

  13. #13

    Default Re: Bad Cyclist.

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    Was on my way home this morning after night shift. Abt to cross the road, I waited for a car to pass and I concentrate on the other oncoming one. Once the first car pass me, I made my move.
    were you jaywalking??

    how come no traffic light one??

    zebra crossing meh?

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Bad Cyclist.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rangefinder_fan View Post
    Going against the flow of traffic is wrong. It does not matter if you are a car, lorry or bike.
    This is Singapore and not the west, where cyclist have more rights, and the car drivers are usually more used (and drive more safely than here) to having cyclist on the road. In Singapore it is so dangerous to cycle in the same direction, as they have less rights, they are easily ignored by cars/buses.....if you get hit from behind you have NO chance to step away, if cycling in the opposite direction, you still have SOME chance to not get hit, or get less injuries.....

    Just look at cyclist when they enter a busway and a bus is entering: I have not seen a bus giving way to the cyclist (same direction), the cyclist had to cycle inside the busway and wait there till bus is leaving...


    HS

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: Bad Cyclist.

    Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    This is Singapore and not the west, where cyclist have more rights, and the car drivers are usually more used (and drive more safely than here) to having cyclist on the road. In Singapore it is so dangerous to cycle in the same direction, as they have less rights, they are easily ignored by cars/buses.....if you get hit from behind you have NO chance to step away, if cycling in the opposite direction, you still have SOME chance to not get hit, or get less injuries.....

    Just look at cyclist when they enter a busway and a bus is entering: I have not seen a bus giving way to the cyclist (same direction), the cyclist had to cycle inside the busway and wait there till bus is leaving...


    HS
    Sorry, as a frequent cyclist myself, I beg to differ. Driving against the traffic is 1st of all against the traffic law, although some may say that bicycle should not be considered as a vehicle. 2nd, by driving against the flow, while you may be able to see on coming traffic, but you are actually shortening the reaction time for the oncoming driver to avoid you, especially round a corner. Also you are making it harder for a driver to predict your next move.

    The point is that there are some cyclists that are painfully unaware of their surroundings and does not seem to apply some basic sense in cycling safely. Yes I agree that there are some motorists that do not give enough respect to cyclists on the road, but always practice defensive riding should be able to let you avoid most accidents. Also avoid the bad habit of weaving in and out of road and pedestrain pathway. It is both irritating and dangerous. Also it is a safer practise to keep in your lane rather than cycling into a bus bay and out again. If a bus stops at a bus stop without a bay, and you can't overtake safely, well you can always stop and wait. What is a minute lost and be safe?

    Others may have different opinions on cycling safely, but these are some basic rules I apply for myself to keep myself safe on the road when I am cycling.

    To TS, as what some had mentioned, as a pedestrain, you too had to be more aware of your surroundings. The 1st rule of crossing a road safely I learnt when I was still a kid was always look right, look left and then look right again to be sure before crossing any road. In your case, I would say both contribute to the collision.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: Bad Cyclist.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    were you jaywalking??

    how come no traffic light one??

    zebra crossing meh?
    If I didn't remember wrongly, Singapore traffic law allows a pedestrain to cross a minor road without using a pedestrain crossing if you are more than 50m away from the nearest pedestrain crossing. Usually the boundary is indicated by the a pedestrain sign and an arrow.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

  17. #17
    Member luntut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    1,883

    Default Re: Bad Cyclist.

    IF...............

    you jaywalk...? (you wrong)
    you never look left look right b4 u cross? (you wrong)
    you blame others nvr blame yourself? (you wrong)
    you suddenly cross the road, with no warning to the china woman? (you wrong)
    you call people china woman, so rude. (you wrong)

    do i need to elaborate more?

    always blame yourself first before you even start to blame others.

    Let the person without sin cast the first stone.
    Fast Camera. Fast Lens. Slow Me. Sigh.
    My Flickr

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,184

    Default Re: Bad Cyclist.

    Firstly, there aren't any zebra crossing ard that T junction.

    Secondly, I need no have to look out for vehicle on my left as I crossing at a T junction, only to take note of the oncoming vehicle from my right n front.

    Thirdly, she no ring bell to alert me, so, I couldn't know she is coming from my left.

    Fourthly, she is cycling against the traffic, which is a . Whoever think it is safe, pls think again as any slight movement from u, make the oncoming driver panic and might even hit u. Cause ur distance and their and getting closer ever second.

    I myself does cycle previous n I do obey traffic rules. I see a lot cyclist ignore red light esp at T junction, as they know the car wouldn't hit them. But for me, red light mean STOP if I want to be on the road.

    I not looking down on china woman or not but they just too much. Same T junction, I saw 3 china ppl, cycling opposite direction and side by side! They not only obstructing the traffic and also risking their life.

    I dont think I need to go for training but those who like to cycle against the traffic does. Anyway, I am not hurt, so does the lady. I not sure for other, hope she learn her lesson well and I still stick to my right/front rules cause there isn't a need for me to look left, really stupid if I do so.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,184

    Default Re: Bad Cyclist.

    Quote Originally Posted by luntut View Post
    IF...............

    you jaywalk...? (you wrong)
    you never look left look right b4 u cross? (you wrong)
    you blame others nvr blame yourself? (you wrong)
    you suddenly cross the road, with no warning to the china woman? (you wrong)
    you call people china woman, so rude. (you wrong)

    do i need to elaborate more?

    always blame yourself first before you even start to blame others.

    Let the person without sin cast the first stone.
    So, if you are me, you got hurt, still you wrong? Then wish u luck next time on crossing, dont follow my footstep else you got injure, dont blame me.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,184

    Default Re: Bad Cyclist.

    Quote Originally Posted by kelccm View Post

    To TS, as what some had mentioned, as a pedestrain, you too had to be more aware of your surroundings. The 1st rule of crossing a road safely I learnt when I was still a kid was always look right, look left and then look right again to be sure before crossing any road. In your case, I would say both contribute to the collision.
    Is not I dont want to look at left cause NO traffic will come from there. Only my front and right, so, for my own safety, shouldn't I look out for cars rather than a cyclist? On top of that, the cyclist already on the wrong side of the road, I can stop her n call for police, make her pay for it.

    To all, if you think I am wrong, u just ask a friend, stop at a T junction, with a bicycle. Then call police and see who is right, who is wrong.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •