Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Indoor flash-White Balance Help

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,337

    Default Indoor flash-White Balance Help

    Hi, I need help regarding white balance... I've been reading quite a lot however I'm still kinda lost..
    lets sae... indoor tungsten... i wan to shoot portrait wif flash... wad wb do you normally set as? cos right... if i set my wb at tungsten... i will lose the "warm" of the ambient light...which i do not really wish to?... i tried flash wb... it makes my pic too warm?... Should I just leave it at AWB or shoot raw?
    hope all e gurus can help
    thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Indoor flash-White Balance Help

    Have you heard of gelling the flash?

    Get a tungsten gel, then set the WB to tungsten... now both the BG and subject is illuminated under the same lighting colour balance and you cna then correct it accordingly.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,337

    Default Re: Indoor flash-White Balance Help

    yea.. i heard of it... lets sae i gel it with 1/2 CTO... after that wad wb mode do I set in? tungsten wb mode will jus make my pic lose all the warm right?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,337

    Default Re: Indoor flash-White Balance Help

    mmm.. can you explain a bit more about "correct it accordingly"... hehe..

  5. #5
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,390

    Default Re: Indoor flash-White Balance Help

    Can you read up about the basics of White balance? My big spoon is in dishwasher...
    http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...te-balance.htm

  6. #6
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Indoor flash-White Balance Help

    Correct in camera (set to Tungsten WB)
    Correct in post processing (shoot in RAW AWB and correct to Tungsten)
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  7. #7
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Indoor flash-White Balance Help

    alternatively if you use your flash as the main light. it will overpower the ambient light.
    so that would mean that your WB will be for flash.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Indoor flash-White Balance Help

    Use white card and custom wb, shoot raw.

  9. #9
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Indoor flash-White Balance Help

    that will not solve the problem of different light sources with different colour temp.

  10. #10

    Smile Re: Indoor flash-White Balance Help

    unless one uses a colour meter to read colour temperatures. i think one need not go so far.

  11. #11
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Indoor flash-White Balance Help

    wait, i am wrong, maybe can....

    shoot raw ... colour correct for one light source ... and then colour correct for the other light source

    then spend alot of time DIing it together

  12. #12
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Indoor flash-White Balance Help

    white balance of Tungsten and flash are totally different, you can't balance two color temperature into one.

    you can only convert the color temperature of either one to be the same as another one, so you can do a white balance to make it neutral.

    or eliminate one and make another one to be the dominant light source, so you can make the white balance of this dominant light source to be neutral.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,337

    Default Re: Indoor flash-White Balance Help

    How to make a light source as a dominant light source?

  14. #14
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Indoor flash-White Balance Help

    Quote Originally Posted by jjynwa View Post
    How to make a light source as a dominant light source?
    for you case, either do as what Mr Ortega suggest.

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    alternatively if you use your flash as the main light. it will overpower the ambient light.
    so that would mean that your WB will be for flash.

    or just shoot with available light, without using flash.

    for these both ways, you only need to deal with one type of white balance.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  15. #15

    Default Re: Indoor flash-White Balance Help

    Using Flash is very Tricky. Flash is more than just an illuminating tool.

    I hope TS knows that when on flash... and presuming he sets his flash unit to ETTL (Canon I suppose) and that his camera is set to Manual Mode.. He has full control of the Camera. Flashes can over power the SUN and available light at times.

    Presuming that it is already known that Shutter Controls Ambient Light and Aperture controls Subject Light. Small Aperture on ETTL will make your flash work harder.

    As for WB... I think there is like... no set rule... but the end result must be pleasing to your eyes and that you need to take note of the colour of the ambient light. I hope TS has a sensitive eye for colors.

    Taking that all flashes 'emulate' the suns colour/ temperature.... which is about 5500~5700~5900K

    Varying situations I can Think of...

    Strong warm Spotlight indoor.... I would set to WB to Tungsten. To Balance things up.

    Turquoise wall and a Chinese Lady, Both look flat indoors, .. I would set the WB to Tungsten (preserve the cool of the turquoise wall) Put a Warm Orange/ Tungsten gel , use an offshoe flash cord and do a wide direct flash on my subject.

    I set another Situation where I read of Joe Macnally.. when he was shooting with Film...
    " To match the fluorescence lights (in the subway), I put on a green gel on the strobe, a 30 Magenta filter on the lens to clean up the fluorescence and give me a good skin tones... (Set at Daylight WB)..."

    Really.. to get the desire skin tone, you will need to look at the colors that is bouncing off everywhere indoors and match it. Then you adjust accordingly... Of course... YOU MUST HAVE THE LUXURY OF TIME.. like a few seconds to adjust. Takes time to be perfect... but more importantly when you look at the LCD (another Luxury).. do you know why your colours turned out that way???

    Take a Flash photography course maybe to understand your flash better...and keep practicing. I prefer to get it right in the camera. If all fails.. there is always.. P.Shop....

    Cheers!
    Last edited by Andrew Ng; 2nd April 2009 at 11:05 PM.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,337

    Default Re: Indoor flash-White Balance Help

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ng View Post
    Using Flash is very Tricky. Flash is more than just an illuminating tool.

    I hope TS knows that when on flash... and presuming he sets his flash unit to ETTL (Canon I suppose) and that his camera is set to Manual Mode.. He has full control of the Camera. Flashes can over power the SUN and available light at times.

    Presuming that it is already known that Shutter Controls Ambient Light and Aperture controls Subject Light. Small Aperture on ETTL will make your flash work harder.

    As for WB... I think there is like... no set rule... but the end result must be pleasing to your eyes and that you need to take note of the colour of the ambient light. I hope TS has a sensitive eye for colors.

    Taking that all flashes 'emulate' the suns colour/ temperature.... which is about 5500~5700~5900K

    Varying situations I can Think of...

    Strong warm Spotlight indoor.... I would set to WB to Tungsten. To Balance things up.

    Turquoise wall and a Chinese Lady, Both look flat indoors, .. I would set the WB to Tungsten (preserve the cool of the turquoise wall) Put a Warm Orange/ Tungsten gel , use an offshoe flash cord and do a wide direct flash on my subject.

    I set another Situation where I read of Joe Macnally.. when he was shooting with Film...
    " To match the fluorescence lights (in the subway), I put on a green gel on the strobe, a 30 Magenta filter on the lens to clean up the fluorescence and give me a good skin tones... (Set at Daylight WB)..."

    Really.. to get the desire skin tone, you will need to look at the colors that is bouncing off everywhere indoors and match it. Then you adjust accordingly... Of course... YOU MUST HAVE THE LUXURY OF TIME.. like a few seconds to adjust. Takes time to be perfect... but more importantly when you look at the LCD (another Luxury).. do you know why your colours turned out that way???

    Take a Flash photography course maybe to understand your flash better...and keep practicing. I prefer to get it right in the camera. If all fails.. there is always.. P.Shop....

    Cheers!
    wow... very detailed explaination... mmm... guess I just have to practise and practise =)!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •