Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Emergency: Unsaved work. How?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Emergency: Unsaved work. How?

    I have not saved my file... stupid me...
    Then I kenna that stupid error message:
    "Adobe Photoshop CS3 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
    Program is "Not responding". Using Win XP.

    Anyway to save my work? How to get the program to run again without shutting it down?


    I was actually doing some stuff that would be quite hard to replicate and a pain to do so... been working at it for a few hours...

    Damn microsoft! Why always program screw up like this.
    Mac got this problem or not?
    I'm really sick of this. It is not enough ram or what? I get this **** on photoshop and firefox and every other program that i'm using!
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Emergency: Unsaved work. How?

    Wait...and dont do anything.
    Sometimes, it comes back.

    Else... i doubt there is anything that you can do.
    D3s / D3x / 18-55 f3.5 - 5.6 / 55-200 f3.5-5.6 / 50 f1.8

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Emergency: Unsaved work. How?

    Will I lose my work if i let it close?
    Can my work be retrieved?
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Emergency: Unsaved work. How?

    Quote Originally Posted by Legoz View Post
    Wait...and dont do anything.
    Sometimes, it comes back.

    Else... i doubt there is anything that you can do.
    Will it help if I close my other programs?
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Emergency: Unsaved work. How?

    OK, I got the idea to take a photo of my work and so I can continue working from my photo. I was designing a logo actually.

    Dumb thing got shut down... wow... when I reopened, really gone.
    Anywhere I can find my work or it's disappeared totally from my com?
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  6. #6
    Member eosandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Land of smiles
    Posts
    842

    Default Re: Emergency: Unsaved work. How?

    Sorry bro... posted from Yahoo answers... tried searching for any scratch disk recovery solutions to yr problem with no results.

    No, Photoshop doesn't have an auto-save feature. Channel the huge frustration you are experiencing into forming the habit of hitting ctrl+s VERY FREQUENTLY, which will save your file.

    While we're on the topic, be sure to save "iterations". Every hour or so, go to File>Save As... and save a new file but with an incrementing number at the end. For example cat.psd -> cat01.psd -> cat02.psd ect.

    Even though you saved your work - sometimes your files can get corrupted and you loose everything. Saving iterations allows you to go back to a earlier stage, without having to start over from scratch.


    Posted from Photography-forums.com - some reasoning behind no auto-save...

    Unfortunately, there is no Auto-recovery mode in PS. The temp file is the Scratch Disk file, and there is no utility to extract anything that might be in it.

    Because of the possibility of extreme size of the files in PS, any sort of auto-Save would slow things down and probably kick in, just as one is 99% done with an intricate Selection.
    I doubt that we will ever see any form of auto-Save, until machines get MUCH faster in every area, but by then, file sizes will have increased, as well.

    Sorry for the bad news. The best that one can do is hit Save/Save_As quite often.
    Learning DSLR control http://stormtrigger.blogspot.com/

  7. #7

    Default Re: Emergency: Unsaved work. How?

    i dun think mac is so screwy. i use windows and my PS goes on holiday every so often. my sister says her mac is fine.

    anyway, most pple doing graphics or multimedia use mac. that's a fact. sure, some pros use windows (cheaper to build a very powerful system) but even if it works faster than a mac, it's gonna be less stable.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Emergency: Unsaved work. How?

    Quote Originally Posted by boyboy View Post
    i dun think mac is so screwy. i use windows and my PS goes on holiday every so often. my sister says her mac is fine.

    anyway, most pple doing graphics or multimedia use mac. that's a fact. sure, some pros use windows (cheaper to build a very powerful system) but even if it works faster than a mac, it's gonna be less stable.
    my photoshop on PC has hanged on me.. thrice in 2 years, and that was in part because i tried to make a pathetic 1.6 ghz celeron (my old laptop) do a lot of things at once.

    if you take care of your pc and keep it clean, it will work perfectly fine.

    anyways wuffruff, i have no idea how to help you. i suggest you start redoing again..

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Emergency: Unsaved work. How?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    my photoshop on PC has hanged on me.. thrice in 2 years, and that was in part because i tried to make a pathetic 1.6 ghz celeron (my old laptop) do a lot of things at once.

    if you take care of your pc and keep it clean, it will work perfectly fine.

    anyways wuffruff, i have no idea how to help you. i suggest you start redoing again..
    Maybe I was running too many programs, as usual.

    It's ok. Fortunately, I had the brilliant idea of taking a photo of my screen so I can continue working from there (it's just a one-colour vector image)... hehe...
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  10. #10
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Emergency: Unsaved work. How?

    press the printscreen key on your keyboard

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Emergency: Unsaved work. How?

    Quote Originally Posted by eosandy View Post
    Sorry bro... posted from Yahoo answers... tried searching for any scratch disk recovery solutions to yr problem with no results.

    No, Photoshop doesn't have an auto-save feature. Channel the huge frustration you are experiencing into forming the habit of hitting ctrl+s VERY FREQUENTLY, which will save your file.

    While we're on the topic, be sure to save "iterations". Every hour or so, go to File>Save As... and save a new file but with an incrementing number at the end. For example cat.psd -> cat01.psd -> cat02.psd ect.

    Even though you saved your work - sometimes your files can get corrupted and you loose everything. Saving iterations allows you to go back to a earlier stage, without having to start over from scratch.


    Posted from Photography-forums.com - some reasoning behind no auto-save...

    Unfortunately, there is no Auto-recovery mode in PS. The temp file is the Scratch Disk file, and there is no utility to extract anything that might be in it.

    Because of the possibility of extreme size of the files in PS, any sort of auto-Save would slow things down and probably kick in, just as one is 99% done with an intricate Selection.
    I doubt that we will ever see any form of auto-Save, until machines get MUCH faster in every area, but by then, file sizes will have increased, as well.

    Sorry for the bad news. The best that one can do is hit Save/Save_As quite often.
    Thanks for trying to find out. Appreciate the info. anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    press the printscreen key on your keyboard
    What does that do??
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Emergency: Unsaved work. How?

    Mac hangs as well lah..Not the reason why designers uses Mac.

    It goes into this 'spinning beach ball icon' Can Google.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    525

    Default Re: Emergency: Unsaved work. How?

    It's not too bad since it's just a single color vector artwork.. but don't you have sketches first? working on the comp straight might be less of a hassle but can be tedious as you fiddle around getting it to look right.

    And why are you doing vector in photoshop?!
    Anyway, it's a good habit to ctrl s every few minutes.. even incremental saves every 20-30 minutes.. it's quite normal along the way from 1 logo you design will have 20-50 variations of the various element along the way..

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    525

    Default Re: Emergency: Unsaved work. How?

    Quote Originally Posted by redmonsoon View Post
    Mac hangs as well lah..Not the reason why designers uses Mac.

    It goes into this 'spinning beach ball icon' Can Google.
    Yea! Spinning beachball of death is quite a pain too..

  15. #15

    Default Re: Emergency: Unsaved work. How?

    I've been using PS for 7-8 years, and it's nvr crashed once on me

    Anyway, make it a habit to save a few versions of your file... I do it after every big change. And I always ctrl+s every once in a while.

  16. #16
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Emergency: Unsaved work. How?

    Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    Thanks for trying to find out. Appreciate the info. anyway.



    What does that do??
    when you press the printscreen button on your PC keyboard it will
    do a screen capture of your screen and copy it to the clipboard

    you can then use another software and do a edit/paste (control V) to paste the content of your clipboard.

    for more detailed information

    http://www.seoconsultants.com/windows/print-screen/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Print_screen

  17. #17
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Emergency: Unsaved work. How?

    Quote Originally Posted by redmonsoon View Post
    Mac hangs as well lah..Not the reason why designers uses Mac.

    It goes into this 'spinning beach ball icon' Can Google.
    mostly you can make the spinning beach ball go away with ram upgrades


  18. #18

    Default Re: Emergency: Unsaved work. How?

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    mostly you can make the spinning beach ball go away with ram upgrades

    It mostly happens when accidentally double click a layer, the layer style window pops up, and then the dreaded beachball starts spinning...forever...lol

    WuffRuff, I feel ur pain...lol

  19. #19
    Member eosandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Land of smiles
    Posts
    842

    Default Re: Emergency: Unsaved work. How?

    Try googling ccleaner. Keeps things real neat on yr HDD and registry, and it's free! with no crap-ware attached.
    Learning DSLR control http://stormtrigger.blogspot.com/

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Emergency: Unsaved work. How?

    Quote Originally Posted by viix View Post
    It's not too bad since it's just a single color vector artwork.. but don't you have sketches first? working on the comp straight might be less of a hassle but can be tedious as you fiddle around getting it to look right.

    And why are you doing vector in photoshop?!
    Anyway, it's a good habit to ctrl s every few minutes.. even incremental saves every 20-30 minutes.. it's quite normal along the way from 1 logo you design will have 20-50 variations of the various element along the way..
    After the PS hanged, I started doing sketches...
    Also, because my drawing sucks, even more so on com, I am actually modifying a vector rather than drawing it, that's why using photoshop.
    Main reason I'm using photoshop is cos I don't have any other software like Illustrator, etc. So I don't have a choice.
    Anyway, I am most familiar with PS, although still very lousy.

    OT a bit, what is the best way to make an image more fine/ slim?
    I want to use this font in my logo but I want to make the letters look slimmer (less bold) and also modify it a bit.
    Also, which brush in PS is good for such things? There are many brushes but I'm confused about what they do and what they are good for. With the default brush, it is quite hard to control and gives jagged lines, not smooth. How to make the edges smooth?

    Quote Originally Posted by lypklypk View Post
    I've been using PS for 7-8 years, and it's nvr crashed once on me.

    Anyway, make it a habit to save a few versions of your file... I do it after every big change. And I always ctrl+s every once in a while.
    Then your com is very good lor. Every component is happy working with the other components so they live happily ever after. Your machine is probably power also.

    Normally I am always paranoid and save my files frequently... but dunno what got into me last night. Working in the middle of the night, maybe too tired (was very tired indeed but somehow inspiration came, so want to do), and totally forgot about saving work.

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    when you press the printscreen button on your PC keyboard it will
    do a screen capture of your screen and copy it to the clipboard
    I see... thanks for the info... but since the program was hanged, I don't think that will work. Basically it was frozen, click anywhere also no response... don't think keyboard can work on it also.

    Quote Originally Posted by eosandy View Post
    Try googling ccleaner. Keeps things real neat on yr HDD and registry, and it's free! with no crap-ware attached.
    I have Ccleaner. Been using it now and then. In fact, I used it after PS hanged but it did not help also.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •