Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Thread: Where to buy electric water heater?

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Where to buy electric water heater?

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    well, in theory, i think those instant heaters are more cost saving than those big tanks type.

    Cos, capacity is smaller, so water gets heat up faster than in a bigger tank. Also, it have shorter pipe to faucet so you won't be running the cold water, wasting it until the warm water arrives.

    disadvantages, capacity small, so the cool water steps in faster if you take a long bath...
    I also have the same rationale. Facts also show that the instant wall ones use less electricity.

    The cool water will come back meh? I thought it is constantly heating when it is on?
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    East
    Posts
    609

    Default Re: Where to buy electric water heater?

    The electrical ones are unable to provide consistent source of hot warm, hence sometimes you get cold and extreme hot water during peak period when lots of people are turning on taps. The water tank type should require less than 20 mins to warm up. I use a 30L tank, turn on 10mins, shower a family of 4, and later use for clothes soaking 1 pail full, sometimes wash toilet after that also no issue. Get a decent one saves energy.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Where to buy electric water heater?

    Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    I also have the same rationale. Facts also show that the instant wall ones use less electricity.

    The cool water will come back meh? I thought it is constantly heating when it is on?
    the heating coil of instant water heaters are not constantly heated. if it is constantly on when no water is flowing, it will catch fire. water cools faster inside the flexible hose than inside heating element.

    instant water heater got 2 type. the simpler 1 with 2 or 3 stages of heating, the more complex 1 (with additional knob), regulates water flow to make temperature more stable.

    for instant heaters, most heating elements are about the same, minor differences are the hose/pipe connections. some are plastic, some are metal. the rest i forgot liao, shop assistants who know their stuff will be willing to share their knowledge.

    there are 3 clusters of shops i know, Balestier, Jalan Besar & Geylang.
    have u seen the "light" yet?

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Where to buy electric water heater?

    Quote Originally Posted by 3in1c View Post
    The electrical ones are unable to provide consistent source of hot warm, hence sometimes you get cold and extreme hot water during peak period when lots of people are turning on taps. The water tank type should require less than 20 mins to warm up. I use a 30L tank, turn on 10mins, shower a family of 4, and later use for clothes soaking 1 pail full, sometimes wash toilet after that also no issue. Get a decent one saves energy.
    That's why I wanna change mine. Mine is not efficient... it's very old liao... maybe that's why... old model plus no maintenance.
    Yours is much more efficient than mine. My water tank is very large too, not less than 30L. If I on the heater for 20 mins, the warm water only lasts 10 mins, after that, totally cold.

    Btw, how come your whole family of 4 can shower consecutively at the same time ah? Cos after you off the heater and don't use the hot water for some time, it will become cold again.

    How come peak period will affect electrical supply? How does that work?
    But that doesn't affect me too as I usually shower during super off peak period of 1-5am. My mum also showers at this time. My sis is the only one that showers during peak periods, morning or early afternoon.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Where to buy electric water heater?

    Think the problem is u shower for 1 hour. You petite body mass need 1 hour of constant water flow?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Where to buy electric water heater?

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    Think the problem is u shower for 1 hour. You petite body mass need 1 hour of constant water flow?
    No, not constant for 1 hr... got off when I soap myself... off and on now and then... that's why I think instant one is more economical too. Tank one, I need to on for entire time but instant one will off power when i off the water right? Or I can turn it off when I off water since it is instant. This tank one will not work... besides the heater switch is outside the bathroom.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Where to buy electric water heater?

    there is a thermostat in every unit, once temperature reach, it will cut off, when temperature drop, it will heat it again.

    so when you on your heater, it will heat up til the level you want. then when you start your shower, hot water flows and there is a float switch which will replenish the water in the tank, then when cool water enters, the heater will on again. so if you stop, the remaining water will heat til the temperature set, and then maintain until you take the 2nd shower.

    thats y u experience cool water after the tank depleted and the heater is not able to heat fast enough to heat up the water flow. a big tank eliminate this issue, but due to the distance, the initial flow of water is always cool and wasted. you have to let it run for awhile.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Where to buy electric water heater?

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    there is a thermostat in every unit, once temperature reach, it will cut off, when temperature drop, it will heat it again.

    so when you on your heater, it will heat up til the level you want. then when you start your shower, hot water flows and there is a float switch which will replenish the water in the tank, then when cool water enters, the heater will on again. so if you stop, the remaining water will heat til the temperature set, and then maintain until you take the 2nd shower.

    thats y u experience cool water after the tank depleted and the heater is not able to heat fast enough to heat up the water flow. a big tank eliminate this issue, but due to the distance, the initial flow of water is always cool and wasted. you have to let it run for awhile.
    Hmm... based in your explanation and my experience, maybe I need to tweak my tank a but... Some things are not set optimally here, i think...
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Where to buy electric water heater?

    Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    Hmm... based in your explanation and my experience, maybe I need to tweak my tank a but... Some things are not set optimally here, i think...
    u need to tune your heater, u can overclock it by adjusting the voltage and the timing...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,462

    Default Re: Where to buy electric water heater?

    There so many in the market and so many model out there.Also price different.No need to ask anyone down here.It kinda of stupid question.

  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    East
    Posts
    609

    Default Re: Where to buy electric water heater?

    Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    That's why I wanna change mine. Mine is not efficient... it's very old liao... maybe that's why... old model plus no maintenance.
    Yours is much more efficient than mine. My water tank is very large too, not less than 30L. If I on the heater for 20 mins, the warm water only lasts 10 mins, after that, totally cold.

    Btw, how come your whole family of 4 can shower consecutively at the same time ah? Cos after you off the heater and don't use the hot water for some time, it will become cold again.

    How come peak period will affect electrical supply? How does that work?
    But that doesn't affect me too as I usually shower during super off peak period of 1-5am. My mum also showers at this time. My sis is the only one that showers during peak periods, morning or early afternoon.
    The water once boiled up can hold for at least 4 hours, thats the minimum hour I have tried. The temperature is very high, good enough for half boiled egg thingy, even with 2 taps demanding hot water at same time. 4 didnt shower at same time lah, but consecutively.

    During peak hour when lots of unit turning on taps, it takes awhile for cold water to pump into your unit's pipes. Hence the heater generates minimum supply for the shower, isnt it going to take longer to shower, more water and electricity used? You notice the blue/red dot on tap which indicates amount of cold/hot water? Usually we only need to keep it center, not more than 5 degrees to the red indicator.

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Where to buy electric water heater?

    Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    There so many in the market and so many model out there.Also price different.No need to ask anyone down here.It kinda of stupid question.
    And this is definitely a stupid answer...
    Fortunately, many have provided good and helpful information related to the subject matter, so to me, it isn't such a stupid question afterall.

    Quote Originally Posted by 3in1c View Post
    The water once boiled up can hold for at least 4 hours, thats the minimum hour I have tried. The temperature is very high, good enough for half boiled egg thingy, even with 2 taps demanding hot water at same time. 4 didnt shower at same time lah, but consecutively.

    During peak hour when lots of unit turning on taps, it takes awhile for cold water to pump into your unit's pipes. Hence the heater generates minimum supply for the shower, isnt it going to take longer to shower, more water and electricity used? You notice the blue/red dot on tap which indicates amount of cold/hot water? Usually we only need to keep it center, not more than 5 degrees to the red indicator.
    Yah, I also keep mine to the centre when bathing... but this is not a good comparison, your centre may be cooler than my centre, as the whole setup is different.

    Actually, I think another problem is my heater has not been maintained for years... so the sludge build up and maybe some other issues cause it to decrease efficiency too.

    Anyone know where I can find a specialised maintenance person for water heater tanks?
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  13. #33
    alyka
    Guests

    Default Re: Where to buy electric water heater?

    guys guys you may want to use a bathroom ceiling heater, it is one of my favorite nowadays besides of its safety it is also makes my bathroom spacious..

  14. #34
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Where to buy electric water heater?

    Those heat the air in the bathroom, not the water you are using to shower right?

    Quote Originally Posted by alyka View Post
    guys guys you may want to use a bathroom ceiling heater, it is one of my favorite nowadays besides of its safety it is also makes my bathroom spacious..

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Singapore, West
    Posts
    478

    Default Re: Where to buy electric water heater?

    did you ever worry about the big water bill for the hour long shower daily?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •