Thread: Customized Photography Books...

Default Customized Photography Books...

This would especially be helpful for Wedding Photogs and those who want to specially design your photo albums.

I checked and they do ship to Singapore, but I don't know how much.

Anyway, this is the link

Default Re: Customized Photography Books...

You can do this with SnapFish. Not sure where they ship but you could order then re-ship.

I printed a few 150 page 11 x 13 with Blurb before but all the pages will warp in no time due to our humidity. Too bad that their paper quality is not there cos their service is pretty good and shipping is fast.

Thanks so much for that info.

I didn't know that the paper quality is that bad that it would not stand Singapore's humidity.

I was quite supprised too. At 1st I though it was a printing defect so I emailed them and the reprinted and sent me another copy. I received the reprinted copy and it was perfect but in 2 hrs after I opened the plastic wrapper the pages started to warp.
    I also printed the smaller 80 page book but I dont remember seeing it warp before I gave it to my client.
    The colours are also not as nice as those that Mac prints but then again Blurb is pretty cheap compare to the rest of the printers and offers a lot more choices in terms of sizes and number of pages.
    Last edited by Spark; 3rd April 2009 at 01:45 AM.

Smiles people it looks as if none of you have any experience in the printing industry. If the book cover and thick pages curl when exposed to our humidity it is not because its poor quality. It is simply a matter of the humidity where the product was done is much lower than Singapore's 80 to 90 RH.

Quote Originally Posted by ellery View Post
    Smiles people it looks as if none of you have any experience in the printing industry. If the book cover and thick pages curl when exposed to our humidity it is not because its poor quality. It is simply a matter of the humidity where the product was done is much lower than Singapore's 80 to 90 RH.
    So are you then saying that if the printing was done in Singapore, the quality of the paper should be able to survive the humidity?

'fraid the answer to that is yes and no. Yes if it is done without aircon and with card stock that has been allowed to humidity stablize before work starts. No if it is done in air con environment and stock was not stablize first. Here's the hard part it takes at least 48 hours min to stablize and needs space. Not that many mfgers are willing to do this anymore. just as few order givers know what to ask for. A small area of possibility is the kind of adhesive used - so will create wrapping more more than others (the cheaper the adhesive the higher the possibilty)

Another thought occurs - have not looked at the card mfger production practise for a long time - it would not surprise me if many have skipped steps or short production steps to bring costs down. In past card stock used to cross grained plyed to make it less prone to wrapping and appropriate adhesive was used. Now adays who knows. Its like ph neutral used to mean acid free now it could mean ph buffered which is not the same as acid free.

Small but important point the wrapping is from card stock and not the printed top paper piece.
    Last edited by ellery; 4th April 2009 at 08:24 AM.

Would it help (to prevent the warp) if the pictures are printed on premium paper?
    Don't brag about your accomplishments; Show us your future works.

That's strange. I've got three blurb books (one recently printed on their premium paper), and none of them have warped. Two of the books are in non-aircon environments, and the third is kept in my office (air-conditioned).

Paper quality wise still is the same as I received them from 10 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    I was quite supprised too. At 1st I though it was a printing defect so I emailed them and the reprinted and sent me another copy. I received the reprinted copy and it was perfect but in 2 hrs after I opened the plastic wrapper the pages started to warp.
    I also printed the smaller 80 page book but I dont remember seeing it warp before I gave it to my client.
    The colours are also not as nice as those that Mac prints but then again Blurb is pretty cheap compare to the rest of the printers and offers a lot more choices in terms of sizes and number of pages.

hmm... thats interesting. Perhaps its something to do with their paper batches or printing methods.

This could prove that the printing is not consistent as its possible that it is done in different batches.

From what I heard, Blurb subcon their jobs to different printers which makes their quality inconsistent.

Well in any case, can't rely on a printer that has this kind of inconsistency. Last thing we want is clients calling and telling us the pages of their book warped.

Yeah! Support local products!

I am in the midst of compiling my work on Blurb. The software looks easy at first... but some hiccups here and there... some functions not working. I am crossing my fingers....

Just to add on, I'm trying to search for a photo book with hard content image wrap pages.
    All i found was hard cover image wrap & printed on the normal soft quality papers which you
    guys mentioned that it'll warp due to humidity. So any recommendations?

Thanks so much peeps!
    Last edited by malbella; 14th April 2009 at 12:32 AM.

I've tried www.blurb.com and their products have awesome quality...