[/QUOTE]

nice!

Default Re: Is the Gorillapod good?

Quote Originally Posted by sheldon22 View Post
    nice!

[/QUOTE]

This is when the Gorillapod shines!

For the price you're paying the Gorillapod had better be good.

I think a more interesting question would be, "Are the fake Gorillapods any good?"
    Lensbaby Muse

Hello, shiltontan.
    Thank you for sharing your views. Perhaps just a few points here:

Quote Originally Posted by shiltontan View Post
    .... If you have a DSLR, I would say it depends. (I have not used a gorillapod with a DSLR, neither do I own a DSLR, but here are my views.)

Take note that with a big camera, point 4(risk of it falling) becomes a greater issue. But, they are rated by load capacity, so take note of that.
    Ever since I have acquired my Gorillapod Focus (max load of 5kg), I have been comfortably using it with my:
    5DMkII (1.4kg with battery grip and batteries), with
    70-200mm f/2.8 (1.5kg), and
    Canon Extender 1.4II (220gm).
    I mount a KangRinpoche NB-3 ballhead (350gm)

Total: 3465gm

I am happy to say that I have every confidence in the original Gorillapod Focus for my setup. Sincerely no worries about falling off, as long as you take care in securing the legs. Therefore although that is good advice from you, but I think I have to rightly reassure you and our fellow CS members that it is fine.

...When we talk about larger cameras, this becomes less significant, since a large Gorillapod is almost a big as a tripod.
    Perhaps I would beg to differ here:
    This Gorillapod Focus weighs 500gm and has a length of 29cm. One of the smallest traveller's tripod that one can find, the Gitzo GT1541T has a weight of 970gm and a folded length of 41cm.
    If we examine it carefully, the weight and the height still differs significantly. I understand that you are talking about a larger DSLR, but still a pod is a pod. And when one travels, every ounce counts.
    This is my humble opinion.

That being said, the may be times where a gorillapod is more suitable- say, you want to mount it on a bicycle- No way can you use a tripod.
    This point, I totally agree with you. The good thing about the Gorillapod is its flexibility. Probably no tripod can beat it in this respect.
    But I will state matter-of-factly: it can never be a total replacement for a tripod proper.

Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Hello, shiltontan.
    Thank you for sharing your views. Perhaps just a few points here:

Ever since I have acquired my Gorillapod Focus (max load of 5kg), I have been comfortably using it with my:
    5DMkII (1.4kg with battery grip and batteries), with
    70-200mm f/2.8 (1.5kg), and
    Canon Extender 1.4II (220gm).
    I mount a KangRinpoche NB-3 ballhead (350gm)

Total: 3465gm

I am happy to say that I have every confidence in the original Gorillapod Focus for my setup. Sincerely no worries about falling off, as long as you take care in securing the legs. Therefore although that is good advice from you, but I think I have to rightly reassure you and our fellow CS members that it is fine.

Glad to hear that it holds the weight. And you have brought up an important point- It matters that you secure the legs properly.

Perhaps I would beg to differ here:
    This Gorillapod Focus weighs 500gm and has a length of 29cm. One of the smallest traveller's tripod that one can find, the Gitzo GT1541T has a weight of 970gm and a folded length of 41cm.
    If we examine it carefully, the weight and the height still differs significantly. I understand that you are talking about a larger DSLR, but still a pod is a pod. And when one travels, every ounce counts.
    This is my humble opinion.

Good point.

This point, I totally agree with you. The good thing about the Gorillapod is its flexibility. Probably no tripod can beat it in this respect.
    But I will state matter-of-factly: it can never be a total replacement for a tripod proper.
    I totally agree too- it can never replace a tripod.

Taking everything into account, it ultimately depends on your needs and situation.
    Last edited by shiltontan; 15th November 2009 at 11:10 PM.

I use the fake one hehehe ... was on budget for my previous trip ... climbed mt rinjani with d fake gorrilla pod ... only bought it for $30 meant for dslr ... serve me greatly ... can fix ballhead on it too ...

Quote Originally Posted by moski77 View Post
    I use the fake one hehehe ... was on budget for my previous trip ... climbed mt rinjani with d fake gorrilla pod ... only bought it for $30 meant for dslr ... serve me greatly ... can fix ballhead on it too ...
    I think of course, one can definitely use the 3rd party Gorillapods.
    As long as your DSLR is not too heavy, and the set up is not complicated. And you don't subject it to too acrobatic a task...
    When it comes to the time when one spends a little too much on the equipment, the tendency to be a little over-kiasu sets in.
    Maybe that's why I use the original one.
    Last edited by limwhow; 16th November 2009 at 11:56 PM.

sorry, need some advise here, i am going to Europe for my honeymoon in Dec and will be following a tour group, may i know if it's really useful to get a gorillapod? i am thinking what tripod to bring, i am using a lightweight DSLR (Sony A330) so weight is not an issue. But not sure if i should replace the Normal tripod (cheap Nikon tripod) with a gorillapod? Thanks for the advise

Quote Originally Posted by hoppie View Post
    sorry, need some advise here, i am going to Europe for my honeymoon in Dec and will be following a tour group, may i know if it's really useful to get a gorillapod? i am thinking what tripod to bring, i am using a lightweight DSLR (Sony A330) so weight is not an issue. But not sure if i should replace the Normal tripod (cheap Nikon tripod) with a gorillapod? Thanks for the advise
    Either get a better tripod or buy a gorillapod for SLRs.

The Nikon one is not really stable.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

yeah the nikon with me for quite a while already, i remember when i used it in 2003 the wind actually topple it while the cam is counting down to shoot me and my gf, lucky not using SLR, was using a Canon S45 and it crack my case but cam still working. The nikon tripod do have a Hook below to weigh down the tripod to make it more stable though.

Well, if you're going for honeymoon, you have no one but your tripod to take all the photos for both of you. And I do reckon there to be a great percentage of you+wife's shots.
    As stated by zac08, get a better tripod. Hopefully a lightweight one.
    In this case I won't dare say bring a Gorilla. Because your tripod-ed shots would make up a bigger proportion and would be of more importance, this being a honeymoon, as compared with any other trips.

Thanks for the advice

It a good chance(tell her honeymoon must get sweet memory) to get approval from MOF to get a gitzo 1541T which u alway will get rejection on expensive stuff especially it just a tripod to them.
    Life is like Photography, to improve, you have to keep shooting!

I am also sick of the weight of my tripod. Sturdy but heavy.
    So looking at Gorillapod until I discovered THE pod http://www.thepod.ca/index.html Thought it might be a better idea for street photography and cheaper too.
    Think on sale at CP.

Haven't decide what to get yet but my tripod is not heavily utilized...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12