View Poll Results: Would stomper jeopardise our credibility as a photographer?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, at times, they are a public nuisance.

58 69.88%
  • No, they are creating awareness.

11 13.25%
  • No comments.

14 16.87%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stompers vs photographers

Default Re: Stompers vs photographers

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post

Agreeable. But decadence and degenerate can be so fun to read at times. .
    That's where the problem is... all of us to a certain extend like to read junks and gossips. Simply a supply and demand thing
    Idea got, execution not!
    APAD|Travelogue

in one sense, stomp is useful as a crime deterrent. on the other, it intrudes upon the privacy of innocents.

as for the couple shown here, wrong or not i donno... if ur the one in the foto, wonder if anybody would say anything or not.
    おれのflickrださ

Quote Originally Posted by shiruikage View Post
    in one sense, stomp is useful as a crime deterrent. on the other, it intrudes upon the privacy of innocents.

as for the couple shown here, wrong or not i donno... if ur the one in the foto, wonder if anybody would say anything or not.
    I certainly wouldn't be the one in the photo, cos I wouldn't want to be caught with my pants down (pun intended) Right or wrong don't know but definitely not appropriate.

I sometimes wonder when the world has changed so much. Long time ago, people who show such intimacy in public felt uncomfortable being stared at; but nowadays, the one doing the staring is uncomfortable.

My feeling is this, if they are not uncomfortable to show, we should not be uncomfortable to watch either.
    Idea got, execution not!
    APAD|Travelogue

People can equip themselves with whatever tools they choose. How they use them, however appropriate or not, does not affect my own use of my own tools.

So i am a professional software developer, do I feel my reputation being threatened because of the bad news hackers, spammers, and virus authors constantly bring to the front page? Nope, i still whip out my laptop to do my work and gather the information i need to improve myself. I do not have time to worry about those matters, I have more important issues and matters to put my energy and time into.
    Last edited by icelava; 2nd April 2009 at 10:34 AM. Reason: grammar

Now, I've never been a big fan of stomp and I only visited the site after reading through this thread but what I've found is that besides the really small handful of of genuinely interesting and /or amusing posts, the rest are just posting for the sake of bitching.

For example, in the post where a toddler was left by herself in car in a car park (http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/si...t.jsp?id=63974), what's the use of posting this if the person didn't actually do something about it? I mean, the kid could have died in the time it took the poster to snap the pictures, go home, log on to stomp, upload the pictures and write about the incident! To me, this just constitutes bitching and complaining and worse still, hiding behind a computer and internet connection while doing it.

Same thing goes for the post regarding the PDA in the pool. I don't think there's anything wrong with PDA, but if the stomper felt so strongly about it then why not do something about it besides snapping away and bitching about it behind his/her internet connection?

The difference imo between stomp and genuine photography is the intent of the person taking the picture. In one hand, you've got the stompers who take pictures and impose their (negative) viewpoints explicitly along with those pictures. In the other hand you've got genuine photography where the intent is to capture beauty and/or provoke CONSTRUCTIVE thought.

I choose photography over stomp's mindless crap.

Stompers are citizen journalists. Just like in the press market, we have "serious" journalists and the type that hunt for the gossipy stuff. To be fair, not all stompers are posting mundane stuff.

Will the gossip hunters affect the credibility of photographers? Don't think so lah. Not very related leh.

I mean if I see a photographer pointing his lens at me, I naturally will wonder why he is taking my photo. Won't think of stomp....unless at that moment I'm doing smthg shady, like poking the fish / meat in supermarket to see fresh or not.

Quote Originally Posted by kittylove View Post
    I mean if I see a photographer pointing his lens at me, I naturally will wonder why he is taking my photo. Won't think of stomp....unless at that moment I'm doing smthg shady, like poking the fish / meat in supermarket to see fresh or not.
    what if to post on failblog.org?

Last edited by icelava; 2nd April 2009 at 05:12 PM. Reason: img

Quote Originally Posted by Franz S View Post
    Now, I've never been a big fan of stomp and I only visited the site after reading through this thread but what I've found is that besides the really small handful of of genuinely interesting and /or amusing posts, the rest are just posting for the sake of bitching.

For example, in the post where a toddler was left by herself in car in a car park (http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/si...t.jsp?id=63974), what's the use of posting this if the person didn't actually do something about it? I mean, the kid could have died in the time it took the poster to snap the pictures, go home, log on to stomp, upload the pictures and write about the incident! To me, this just constitutes bitching and complaining and worse still, hiding behind a computer and internet connection while doing it.

Same thing goes for the post regarding the PDA in the pool. I don't think there's anything wrong with PDA, but if the stomper felt so strongly about it then why not do something about it besides snapping away and bitching about it behind his/her internet connection?

The difference imo between stomp and genuine photography is the intent of the person taking the picture. In one hand, you've got the stompers who take pictures and impose their (negative) viewpoints explicitly along with those pictures. In the other hand you've got genuine photography where the intent is to capture beauty and/or provoke CONSTRUCTIVE thought.

I choose photography over stomp's mindless crap.

U're views are greatly supported by me. IMO, i don think the couple is quite in the wrong here. Its a private pool for god's sake. And they are doing it in the hours best where kids are at school and people out at work. They might be out of line thou if things get steamy with nudity and all (this being whether public or private pool).

What im concerned is the person taking it. It simply portrays what a peeping tom/jane he/she is. Couldnt they just shout "Yo, get a room!" to them instead of whipping out a recording or image capturing device and stood still 'documenting' it, prior to posting and b*thcing in behind an internet gateway?

Well, to me, thats the difference between a Stomper PnS-er and us, Photographers. We take nice/beautiful shots, we take credit. Not taking meagre shot, and stir sh!t.

Regards.
    Kai
    Last edited by kaiRamirez; 2nd April 2009 at 05:07 PM. Reason: -

Quote Originally Posted by kaiRamirez View Post
    U're views are greatly supported by me. IMO, i don think the couple is quite in the wrong here. Its a private pool for god's sake. And they are doing it in the hours best where kids are at school and people out at work. They might be out of line thou if things get steamy with nudity and all (this being whether public or private pool).

What im concerned is the person taking it. It simply portrays what a peeping tom/jane he/she is. Couldnt they just shout "Yo, get a room!" to them instead of whipping out a recording or image capturing device and stood still 'documenting' it, prior to posting and b*thcing in behind an internet gateway?

Well, to me, thats the difference between a Stomper PnS-er and us, Photographers. We take nice/beautiful shots, we take credit. Not taking meagre shot, and stir sh!t.

Regards.
    Kai
    my sentiments exactly. somehow, i feel that in this day and age, ir ur caught on camera doing something like intimacy (even in ur bedroom) or private property, ur the one whos wrong, not the peeping tom who took the foto.

dem...i really hope singapore adopts the castle doctrine used in the usa.
    おれのflickrださ

One thing for sure is that, we, photographers, either pro or hobbies are ethical people. Even when we are carrying a simple compact camera, just like golfers, we too follow basic photography etiquette (basic manners).

Having a camera "to intrude" into others privacy is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by shiruikage View Post
    my sentiments exactly. somehow, i feel that in this day and age, ir ur caught on camera doing something like intimacy (even in ur bedroom) or private property, ur the one whos wrong, not the peeping tom who took the foto.

dem...i really hope singapore adopts the castle doctrine used in the usa.
    But how do you call someone who took photos of intimate moments in broad daylight as being peeping tom? It was in the open, and the only thing he did was to record the moment. Put another way, if he were to sit on the other side of the pool and record the whole incident, then how - peeping or not?

PS: I did not say I agree with the guy who is recording the intimate moment
    Idea got, execution not!
    APAD|Travelogue

Quote Originally Posted by two200 View Post
    But how do you call someone who took photos of intimate moments in broad daylight as being peeping tom? It was in the open, and the only thing he did was to record the moment. Put another way, if he were to sit on the other side of the pool and record the whole incident, then how - peeping or not?

PS: I did not say I agree with the guy who is recording the intimate moment
    well...dat would be hard to call him dat lor...staring harry perhaps?
    おれのflickrださ

Why are you fretting that these people will steal over our "jobs"?

Some kid with a camera phone doing wedding/commercial/event shoots? Lol.

The whole Stomp thing's just a scheme to boost ST forum's readership, no? With all the competition around...
    Last edited by inveritas; 2nd April 2009 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by inveritas View Post
    Why are you fretting that these people will steal over our "jobs"?

Some kid with a camera phone doing wedding/commercial/event shoots? Lol.

The whole Stomp thing's just a scheme to boost ST forum's readership, no? With all the competition around...
    yeah, wen pigs fly...and i'm not talking about flying on the plane.
    おれのflickrださ

Photogs and stompers?? My mentor always said, Many cany drive but only few can be driving in the F1.

LOL...I just realized what STOMP is....I think it's pretty cool! Amusing, both in content and reactions.
    I think (hope) there will be more stuff like STOMP. Western countries have loads of this stuff including published weekly "newspapers". WOOHOO...more jobs for you all. Like lawyers, enforcement people, print, journalists, photographers, videographers (yes! use for video on dslrs). Increased revenue for the gov't in the form of Sg's famous fines, may lead to less frequent increases of ERP and increases in other social welfare programs.
    I don't believe that anyone here would think twice about being able to sell a photograph to the media for, say, $800. Jeez I'd do it for $100. LOL.

Cause and effect. Action and reaction. Sit back, enjoy and hopefully gain something out of the process. At the very least, whether you like it or not, agree or not, you've gained knowledge.

Don't flame me...I'm joking...kind of...heh heh.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12