Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3678

Thread: Self-Assembled PC

Default Re: Self-Assembled PC

or easy way out.

Powersupply to
    MB + CPU only (Don't forget your CPU fan)- 1st if hear no sound... then say byebye to MB or CPU already.

CPU is seated correctly. checked a few times. PSU fan, GFX fan, Extra cooling fan all running except for processor fan. i'm worried about the shorting out issue. wad would normally cause short circuiting?

plan to haul my rig down to my friend's place to do a component by component test tmw. He has a similar core2quad desktop. i sincerely hope its the mobo that's fried and not the processor..

onboard LED for motherboard is lit when i switch on the PSU.
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr

Make sure you test your component against your friend MOBO first, and also using his power supply!
    If your mobo is bad, you can fry your friend's component.

Quote Originally Posted by raptor1988 View Post
    CPU is seated correctly. checked a few times. PSU fan, GFX fan, Extra cooling fan all running except for processor fan. i'm worried about the shorting out issue. wad would normally cause short circuiting?

plan to haul my rig down to my friend's place to do a component by component test tmw. He has a similar core2quad desktop. i sincerely hope its the mobo that's fried and not the processor..

You just have to test the CPU in this case. Wish you Luck.

very bad went you see smoke.
    let us know your testing.

will do. thanks for all the replies. can only test on sunday, cos friend busy tmw.
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/96712-...upply-psu.html
    Test if the PSU will power up. Do becareful when shorting, make sure there is a load and the short pin err... best to use some non-conducting material to hold it.

Check to see where the problem lies with, the mobo or PSU.
    Cheers

What you can do is to test his PSU in your current setup to see if anything comes to life. This will help you to determine if the problem is caused by the PSU or it is actually the motherboard.

Think the PSU is ok else your MB led wont lited. swap cpu with your friend will know the result.

I have a p5k now also running think can accept your cpu....

just got back from my buddy's place. Processor's working fine. when load into his dell, can boot up till desktop. Ram and graphics card also can boot up till desktop. So i guess the mobo's the one that's broken. when connect new PSU still cannot hear any beep sound and the bios won't load at all. I'm going to call the shop that i bought the mobo from to check about RMAing the board. Processor's fan still not working. i think maybe the fan circuit got fried along with the board.
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr

just got back from my buddy's place. Processor's working fine. when load into his dell, can boot up till desktop. Ram and graphics card also can boot up till desktop. So i guess the mobo's the one that's broken. when connect new PSU still cannot hear any beep sound and the bios won't load at all. I'm going to call the shop that i bought the mobo from to check about RMAing the board. Processor's fan still not working. i think maybe the fan circuit got fried along with the board.
    So the motherboard went bonkers... Get the reseller to RMA for you bah.

So i guess the mobo's the one that's broken.
    the smoke from MB....

yea.. smoke's bad.
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr

The shop told me to bring my processor and ram down with the mobo. is this the SOP?
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr

The shop told me to bring my processor and ram down with the mobo. is this the SOP?
    Maybe they want to test them out themselves before doing the RMA. Just bring them lor.

ok.. 1 other question. should i remove the CPU and return to the box and cover the processor slot with the cover or i just leave it there with the processor fan removed?
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr

ok.. 1 other question. should i remove the CPU and return to the box and cover the processor slot with the cover or i just leave it there with the processor fan removed?
    If you already remove then return to them removed and tell them you have tested processor is OK just mobo is bad. Tell them you test processor with your friend's mobo which is good.
    Dont give yourself and them extra work, when you put and they later remove. If they want to test for themselves then they will put it in.
    I hope it is covered man. Generally ASUS mobo is rock solid and they QC is good, so the shop will definitely want to check if the fault is yours, coming from shop owner's perspective.

is it within a week? then can 1 to 1 exchange at shop bah...

anyway, if you wanna make it fast, check who is the distro for your board (there is 2 iirc, your box and warranty card will indicate) then just bring it down to the distro and have a 1 to 1 exchange. since SLS might not have stock for the boards, having it done at the distro eliminate the problem of going back twice unless they tell you no stock as well.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

today is the 8th day. Initially they din want to change, but after that the shop did a 1 to 1 exchange for me. Its the 4 pin for the processor fan that is damaged. After changing a new board, everything's fine now. Now using the new computer. Thanks to everyone for all their advice and pointers.
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr

today is the 8th day. Initially they din want to change, but after that the shop did a 1 to 1 exchange for me. Its the 4 pin for the processor fan that is damaged. After changing a new board, everything's fine now. Now using the new computer. Thanks to everyone for all their advice and pointers.
    ahh like i said about the fan pin previously... lol...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3678