Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to start freelance work

Default Re: How to start freelance work

My suggestion:

1. Browse photographer website, and see their portfolio. And try to shoot like them. You can try with your parent, sister, friend or etc.
    2. Participate in photoshoot event to make a friend (networking) and gain experience from other (technique, pose, etc), and to enrich your portfolio.
    3. Learn how to use photoshop or other photography software. and browse internet to master them.
    4. Upload your photo into critique corner... once you get 70-85% positive feedback then take it as confident to put your first advertisement to offer TFCD. Why TFCD first because most of people who ask for TFCD doesnt have experience in posing(same as real customer). So from there you have experience to direct the pose and find good angle.
    5. If positive feedback gain from TFCD then make advertisement to offer your service. No need high price.. start as low as you can afford as long as can cover transport, meal, and depreciation of your shutter count.
    6. If you get positive feedback.. try to setup your own website... and dont forget to put customer feedback page. and put advertisement.

hope can help

haha or maybe he's trying to find other cameras to condemn?

Quote Originally Posted by has91 View Post
    haha or maybe he's trying to find other cameras to condemn?
    maybe he threw away his D60 after reading the review and decided to get a D60.5??

It is easy now so easy (read that as cheap) to buy a entry level camera and then try to start earning money with it. I stress on the word try. There are probably a thousand or more new camera owners per month in Singapore thinking the same thing. Unfortunately owning and camera and being able to create beautiful images are not the same thing; the camera only captures pictures to make an image you need to do more. Simple law of economics and human response: many choices pick and choose what looks better and cheaper.

So you want to earn money from photography - can you make decent pictures ? can you do it better than some one with a point and shoot or maybe today we have to say a DSLR ? Can you do this under pressure ? Do you know what do in each working situation ? Got pictures to show all of this ? If you can answer yes to all these then you are half way there. Now you need to find the jobs and there is a whole herd of people who either are like you looking for the first time and there is also a whole larger herd of people who are already doing it. Can you compete is this rat race ? On what price - pleeze the other guy will always quote lower than you ..thinking of doing it for free ? Say did not you say you wanted to make money from this.

vince123123
    Guests

In any case, I don't think there's really anything to gain from discouraging him. I think we should be more encouraging

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    In any case, I don't think there's really anything to gain from discouraging him. I think we should be more encouraging
    I agree on this.

Bro if you really want to do this given what you have said about your experience - I have 3 words of advice - shoot, review, reshoot. Shoot your family events, shoot your family members....smile shoot anything that does not run away when u appear with the camera....including the family dog or cat. *-)

Some truths will emerge the most important is do you have the eye (talent) to do this. Other truths are that making money from photography is undergoing changes the game has changed from what it was before digital become the medium.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    yes, of course encouragement beats anything. but i think it was good that many pointers were raised (which may have seemed less encouraing). this gives TS a rough outlook from more experienced shooters who have done (or attempted to do) freelance work. it paints a good picture that there's more to just hoping to start freelance work, and that there's a big line between 'planning for it' and 'carrying out the plan'. in fact after that, success is still not guaranteed. nonetheless, im sure all these pointers would give him a clearer picture of working towards freelancing.

vince123123
    Guests

I think that it is good to tell a potential new entrant what he needs to consider before he enters the field, however the method of which the content is delivered is also important. Wrongly delivered, the same points can sound like discouragement.

In any field, there will be incumbents will try (consciously or otherwise) to discourage new entrants to the field because of the new possible competition.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyteocx View Post
    yes, of course encouragement beats anything. but i think it was good that many pointers were raised (which may have seemed less encouraing). this gives TS a rough outlook from more experienced shooters who have done (or attempted to do) freelance work. it paints a good picture that there's more to just hoping to start freelance work, and that there's a big line between 'planning for it' and 'carrying out the plan'. in fact after that, success is still not guaranteed. nonetheless, im sure all these pointers would give him a clearer picture of working towards freelancing.

Anyone read the book Outliers? They suggest that to be really really good at anything, the simpliest way will be to do it over for 10,000 hours!

For those of us who don't work in related fields, and assuming you take 2 hours on average a day phototaking and photoediting (after school/work), in 1 year, that'll be appx 600hours. And you'll be really good in, say around 15 years!

Blog Entries

Apologies, less than 1000 posts in more than 7 years is not impressive

while I am no full-time pro, I have had friends who have done well and others who have fallen by the wayside at various stages of making a profession/living from photography.

Ruey Loon started out with very little
    Willy shot so much until he earned the nickname 'Rambo Willie' for having his fingers constantly glued on the shutter release
    Lester dropped everything in the Philippines and came here and slogged it out
    Lance was basically penniless at one point in his early career
    Wesly dropped everything and left Sg to pursue his dreams in Europe
    Bob went through hell in his early years pursuing it
    Ernest likewise endured more than his fair share of hardship
    etc etc etc etc ......the list goes on...... and on..... and on........

I humbly admit that after seeing what they have gone through ....I have NO STANDARD holding up a candle to these and other friends.

NOTHING comes easy in this industry/profession..... a common constant is the ability to endure hardship and have almost blind faith that it will pay off ...... one day. For a few of them, it has paid off .....

someone said above that one needs to be a good businessperson as well..... that is so true.... meeting client needs is one thing...... making money is another.

there is not really any kind of short cut..... yes of course shoot shoot and shoot more...

and i cannot agree more on a suggestion to work as an assistant..... your lessons are not just in setting up a shoot or exposures..... you should heed and observe how scheduling , money matters and other 'running-a-business' issues etc etc etc are handled (even if your sifu gets screwed on payment, you better learn how to not make the same mistake LOL !)

as long as the camera/lens works, there is little else to worry about until it cannot bring you further as a trade tool

lastly, succeed or fail , enjoy the ride !!! Few professions give as much satisfaction, self-discovery and freedom ...... Darwin's theory on evolution is working full-time in this industry ..... so please, if you want to try to walk this path, you are very much encouraged and welcome ...... God knows the industry is in constant need of new talent...... and let Darwin's theory sort out the survivors

regards

ed
    Last edited by ed9119; 7th April 2009 at 11:50 AM.

Blog Entries

Guess which ex-lover of Ingrid Bergman left home at 18 and found a job as a darkroom apprentice with a Berlin picture agency and shot pictures on the side before making a name for himself?

Guess which Master borrowed his mother's camera when he was 14years old to shoot aeroplanes at a local airport ?

Guess whose family was bankrupted during the early 1900s and he could not fit in school and completed only equivalent of 8th Grade school and yet became one of photography's most celebrated landscape photographers ?

You are arrogant ?? Great !!!
    You are shy ??? thats mighty humble of you !!!
    You got a 6mp DSLR ??? So what !!!

But are you hungry enough ?
    Last edited by ed9119; 7th April 2009 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AMediaLuz View Post
    Anyone read the book Outliers? They suggest that to be really really good at anything, the simpliest way will be to do it over for 10,000 hours!

For those of us who don't work in related fields, and assuming you take 2 hours on average a day phototaking and photoediting (after school/work), in 1 year, that'll be appx 600hours. And you'll be really good in, say around 15 years!
    Haha... 举一反三。 It's a great book though, kinda make sense too!

U can try selling ur pics as stock pic and see whether anyone wants to buy ur pics...and how many. If u ve a good sale, u just set ur foot into photography business, part-time/freelance... =) (at least u know ur skills and ur pics re of at least some commercial value).

Cam doesn't matter much if u r not shooting sports and/or under poor lightings...
    Give me control over dof, exposure and the focal lengths I need, I'll do just fine~ as long I'm not shooting fast moving subjects. A flash will definitely help... lol

Blog Entries

TS,

D40 D60 who cares? I have seen people with rangefinders and digital point and shoot and are shooting kick-butt stuff. For event photography though, TS please get a flash gun before you get any more lenses. If you are going to volunteer or shoot events, especially indoor, a flash gun with diffuser is a necessity.

And Dino, I am so awed by your D60! it is not low-grade. It is only consumer grade. You are much more exalted than me, since my camera is also a low grade D40x. And for the longest time, I shoot with fixed lens superzooms and compacts. I am unworthy of you, your excellency!!
    Last edited by daredevil123; 7th April 2009 at 02:31 PM.

Write so much go out and shoot lah. Thanks here thanks there.

i want a d40 .

we shud go try try try and learn learn learn. i'm newer so it's an uphill climb to understand different aspects of photo, image, software, lighting.
    we shud go kaypoh on family, religious, school, frenz events.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bleh/
    let the universe surprise you .)

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post

But are you hungry enough ?
    So fkning true.
    For me i started shooting for free for friends/friends company to build up my portfolio.
    than later hopefully can through word of mouth people rec your services. I am still at the word of mouth stage.

Also under promise, over deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinobones View Post
    P.s. how many Mega pixel is your D40? (The D60 is 10.2)
    my k20d 14 megapixels,

pwnzxx0r your d60, also don't need to buy lenses with AF motor

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post

35mm film was considered to be "low quality"

look what came out of it

defintiely, industry might demand more megapixels now because of trend, but i am more than certain that 6 megapixels still can cut it, as long as there is substance.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123